Anyone know a good cycle route (north / south) through Lyon

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
doctordave

Anyone know a good cycle route (north / south) through Lyon

Post by doctordave »

I have previously by-passed Lyon. This year it is time to visit on a north / south ride, coming from the direction of Macon towards Orange.

Has anyone got a good route, without too many serious hills?
pizzaduck

Re:Anyone know a good cycle route (north / south) through Ly

Post by pizzaduck »

I don't think that the hills will be a problem but lovely as the centre is, the traffic is pretty busy and I'd be really careful. Along the 2 rivers is good for cycling so I wonder if you could use these to help you get through at least part of the city.
Nigel

Re:Anyone know a good cycle route (north / south) through Ly

Post by Nigel »

I cycled up the Saone with my wife a couple of years ago and we were dreading Lyon - I told my wife if it was really bad we would take the train. We stayed overnight in Givors about 10K south of Lyon. Surprisingly the route into Lyon (D15) was not too busy and was pretty in a run-down sort of way. Lyon itself was also fine as we cycled along the west bank of the river. I think you will have to use the east bank going south. The only problem, as we have often found in cities, is finding the route back out again as signposts are geared to motorists. After some effort we crossed the river at Neuville sur Saone onto the D933 which goes to Macon.

If you don't know of it, there is a little steam railway out of Tournon some way (60 miles or so) south of Lyon to a place called Lamastre up in the hills on the west. It is a pleasant detour as it is downhill back to Tournon.

If you are interested we have a rudimentary website of our trip http://www.goodlad.f2s.com/empuriabrava_main.htm