door zone

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Si

door zone

Post by Si »

herbie1964

Re: door zone

Post by herbie1964 »

Just watched the you tube clip ,think I need to look at the space I give myself having only given myself the arms length as shown , but what would also helpful is car drivers checking BEFORE they open the door .
TwoPlusTen

Post by TwoPlusTen »

herbie1964 wrote: what would also helpful is car drivers checking BEFORE they open the door .

Indeed... but none of us are perfect. How often have we got out of the car without REALLY looking? I know I've done it more than once (and my wife, in the passenger seat, does it on a regular basis despite repeated warnings from me)...
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I think I'm generally reasonably happy with the "you'd swerve instinctively" position - although I can see that going further out might be of benefit, I think around here there are too many people who would try and undertake...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
TwoPlusTen

Post by TwoPlusTen »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I think I'm generally reasonably happy with the "you'd swerve instinctively" position - although I can see that going further out might be of benefit, I think around here there are too many people who would try and undertake...

There is the thought, of course, that riding that far out (6') from the door could actually put you across the centreline - especially on some of our municipal roads, which could be equally dangerous.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I've always ridden the estimated width of a car door +1ft(300mm) away from parked cars, where and when possible.
I constantly monitor the inside of parked cars looking for heads,which normally have a body attached so means potential trouble.
On narrow roads I'm extremely cautious when passing parked vehicles,as Twoplusten says above, none of us is perfect and a moments lack of attention can cause misery.
A chap I know was doored about five years ago, he hit the door edge resulting in a fractured femur and patella which were complicated by bad soft tissue damage which meant he's never ridden since,or is likely to again.
As for cycle lanes with carparking on the road to the left I just ignore them and ride out of the door zone,paint on the road never protected anyone.
The instructor in the link mentioned swerving into traffic,I use a rear view mirror and find it a invaluable in traffic especially in situations like these.
I also tend to give dog walkers and people with children a wide berth too,not to mention teenagers as they tend to step off the kerb without even thinking,especially teenage girls for some unknown reason :? .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
paulcuthbert

Post by paulcuthbert »

Interesting that this came up today...

I was riding primary in the right hand lane, as the left hand lane is all parked cars- and the gap between their doors and the right hand side of the left lane is only about the width of a cycle lane and thus not safe to avoid the door zone. Plus, riding at the edge of the left hand lane encourages dangerous overtaking from cars travelling on the right. Travelling the same speed as the cars, so I was just being assertive in my position in the right hand lane.

Some idiot overtakes with no gap between me and the side of his car. His car clipped my leg, I swerved but stuck my hand out and slapped the roof of his car. He just drove on. Idiot.
Pain is temporary. Quitting is forever
DougieB

Post by DougieB »

TwoPlusTen wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:I think I'm generally reasonably happy with the "you'd swerve instinctively" position - although I can see that going further out might be of benefit, I think around here there are too many people who would try and undertake...

There is the thought, of course, that riding that far out (6') from the door could actually put you across the centreline - especially on some of our municipal roads, which could be equally dangerous.

that's not the point though. you ride along looking ahead and anticipating what's maybe going to happen. you 'should' be looking into the cars that are parked, if any car has a passenger then you can make the decision to move out, just incase they swing the door open. likewise for kids on the pavement, you can move out.

if there's oncoming traffic then you slow down to a speed that you can stop within if the door opens.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

TwoPlusTen wrote:
herbie1964 wrote: what would also helpful is car drivers checking BEFORE they open the door .

Indeed... but none of us are perfect. How often have we got out of the car without REALLY looking? I know I've done it more than once (and my wife, in the passenger seat, does it on a regular basis despite repeated warnings from me)...

In my case and all my family's case NEVER. NOT EVER. NOT ONE TIME!!!

We've trained our grown-up children to think cyclists whenever opening doors.
Si

Post by Si »

I always try to look into the car to see if there is anyone there, but I've still been caught out. Approaching a family saloon car that was facing the same way as me. No heads visible. About to go past when suddenly the rear door flies open - there was a child lying across the back seat who kicked it open. Lucky it was me passing it not a car as, given the width of the road, the passing car would have probably taken the door (and possibly part of the child) with it.
rower40

Post by rower40 »

Wasn't it "Richard's Bicycle Book" (Richard Ballantine) that suggested the scenario of a motorist using the right-hand rear door to remove a snooker cue from their car?
The door zone just keeps getting bigger...
"Little Green Men Are Everywhere... ...But Mostly On Traffic Lights."
Si

Post by Si »

Give everyone Smart cars and force them to park rear-end to pavement :D
maxwellhadley

Post by maxwellhadley »

Give everyone Smart cars and force them to park rear-end to pavement

Herringbone parking can work very well. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=portsmouth&sll=54.61577,-3.562471&sspn=0.00112,0.002712&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Portsmouth,+Hampshire,+United+Kingdom&ll=50.804357,-1.063477&spn=0.001268,0.003524&t=k&z=19&layer=c&cbll=50.804448,-1.063469&panoid=rSLiPU9sH-QgW5ldk4Rwrw&cbp=12,177.46,,0,5 There is no door zone, and drivers are virtually forced to reverse park, so it's always "first move forwards". Baffins Road is now one-way: it used to be two-way, but with a no-entry at the far end in this view.

Max
paulcuthbert

Post by paulcuthbert »

Yeah, but if it's like that they'll just pull out in front of you instead
Pain is temporary. Quitting is forever