What camera?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
661-Pete

Re: What camera?

Post by 661-Pete »

I've had a Contour Roam 2 for a couple of years now, but I'm not over-enthused about it. It has no user interface, you can't view what you have recorded on-camera and all controls etc. (apart from start/stop recording) have to be done via the computer based support application which is - frankly - atrocious. Also in its current setting it has no night vision, although there's apparently a 'dusk' setting which I haven't tried out yet. But once again, you need a computer to change the setting.

Perhaps the old favourite GoPro is the way to 'go'. The up-to-date models are rather expensive though - but I believe you can get 'last year's GoPro a lot cheaper...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
hercule

Post by hercule »

Has anyone experience of this GoPro clone? Good reviews on Amazon, plus you can replace the battery (something it seems you can't do on the cheapest GoPro).

Qumox SJ 4000
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

hercule wrote:Has anyone experience of this GoPro clone? Good reviews on Amazon, plus you can replace the battery (something it seems you can't do on the cheapest GoPro).

Qumox SJ 4000
Read the 1,2 and 3 star reviews and some are far from good!
I always read the low star ratings before the higher ones. :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Graham wrote:Five years after the start of this topic. I would expect products to have advanced significantly.

I've moved on from my original bulletcam/dogcam (internal battery has died - still not got around to trying to replace it - it's a puny 200mAh anyway IIRC) to one of the MD80 clones, from ebay seller itzone-uk. It seems to be a #25 internally, rather than the #3 reported on the MD80 page. Buying them is a bit like playing a tombola, though - it's fairly cheap to enter and fairly good chance of winning but not risk-free.

The big advantage over my old camera and the reason I put up with its foibles is that this one will run from USB power (simply switch the camera on after connecting power, then use as normal), which means I'm not subject to the internal battery being small or getting old - I run it from a 2100mAh USB power pack. After about seven hours, my 16Gb micro SD card is full anyway, long before the power pack has run down.

The power pack and camera both get fixed to the handlebars with rubbery 8s like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cycling-Bike- ... 1938155833 which is one of the foibles I mentioned. There are handlebar mounts available for the MD80, including waterproof ones, but you can't often connect USB power while it's in them.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Are there any recommendations for a sub £50 cam from you chaps and chapettes?
I ask because I witnessed the worst driving I've ever seen today and didn't have cam footage to give the police so it's gone unreported.
Basically an audiot overtaking me by driving in excess of 30mph on the footpath just to beat me to the lights. I was taking the lane to prevent close passes on a short stretch of road where one lane was closed due to canal works....reinforcing the canal banking.
A very heated argument developed between the driver and I when I caught up with him.
Fuming isn't the word. :evil:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
mjr

Post by mjr »

The MD80 I use was £6. The battery pack £3. The bungees £2. The class 10 memory card cost as much as the rest put together :lol:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

mjr wrote:The MD80 I use was £6. The battery pack £3. The bungees £2. The class 10 memory card cost as much as the rest put together :lol:

What's the recorded footage like? I saw a youtube review where it was very jerky. Maybe a one off?
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Vantage wrote:What's the recorded footage like? I saw a youtube review where it was very jerky. Maybe a one off?

In general, it's good enough for little touring films or catching number plates of bad motorists, but don't expect high-def. Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbsREAllzWA but the watery blobs on that are youtube's face obliteration getting it a bit wrong.

Just a reminder of what I may have said before: I've been told by Norfolk constabulary that they won't usually act on camera footage for close overtakes, but would for road rage, so I think it might have helped you - assuming that the mere presence of a camera didn't inspire the motorist to either shut up or attack the camera.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Vantage wrote:Basically an audiot overtaking me by driving in excess of 30mph on the footpath just to beat me to the lights. I was taking the lane to prevent close passes on a short stretch of road where one lane was closed due to canal works....reinforcing the canal banking.
A very heated argument developed between the driver and I when I caught up with him.
Fuming isn't the word. :evil:

Reminds me of an encounter when we were cycling along with a car waiting patiently to overtake. We heard a squeal of brakes, burning rubber, next thing a car undertakes us and the following car by driving along the inside grass verge which fortunately was quite wide. He grins at us and gives a sheepish wave as he goes past. Clearly he was distracted and almost ran into the back of the following car and took to the grass verge to avoid a collision. :roll:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D