Pelican crossing protest

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thirdcrank

Re: Pelican crossing protest

Post by thirdcrank »

The effect of this must be variable because in a telly report I was watching, the queue was only a couple of cars. I've seen lollipop men/ ladies who've caused a longer queue. I think the clue that the overall effect is limted, is the fact it's been allowed to continue.

It's one of those things that's struck a chord with the media - a bit of controversy - so they publicise it. I rather fancy it will peter out, especiaqlly if the TV cameras stop going. (They do say heavy rain is the best policeman....)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

cotterpin wrote:this reminds me of when the bairns were little and i got them to push spent matchsticks into the buttons on the pedestrian crossings ....Excellent

+99
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

In the old days, you could use matchsticks as above and wedge the button permanently on!

Automated traffic calming
ossie

Post by ossie »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
cotterpin wrote:this reminds me of when the bairns were little and i got them to push spent matchsticks into the buttons on the pedestrian crossings ....Excellent

+99

An 8 year bump...nice one

The Chideok guy was eventually defeated. Nothing has changed down there. Same roads, 3 X the amount of traffic since this thread started.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

benm wrote:The road has always been there and has always had a large volume of traffic travelling along it so presumable people knew about it when they moved.

I think you will find that the village of Chideock predates the invention of the internal combustion engine by a thousand years or so.