Bad drivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
glasgowboy

Bad drivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby glasgowboy » 23 May 2010, 1:35pm

I was out enjoying my usual Saturday morning cycle when an impatient driver overtook me on a blind bend. When undertaking his impatient, dangerous and stupid manoeuvre he caused an oncoming car to skid and swerve. He then attempted to correct her stupid action and swerved back on to the left and side of the road. In doing this his trailer skidded across the road causing me to jump out of the way on to the verge of the road. What I will also point out is that the all took place in at 30mph zone and I was doing 23mph. If this idiot had waited 10 second he would have been in a national speed limit zone and could have over taken safely.

In frustration I threw my right hand up in the air at yet another driver failing to recognise that cyclists are actually human beings. Do these people fail to realise that if they hit us, knock us off that they could seriously injure kill us. I point out Jason McIntyre!! But as always they law appears to be on the side of motorists. The driver then decided to slam on his breaks...again almost causing another accident...and get out of his car and storms towards me screaming and shouting, being verbally abusive and making threats. The usual insults were voiced, "you **@*g cyclists should not be on the road". Mr Angry the cocked his arm back to hit me while shouting "I'll kill you...you little *@", I'll ****g break your face you **" As he went to hit me thankfully I managed to move out of the way and avoided him breaking me new Oakley’s!!!!

I have been cycling for about 15 years and after yesterdays experience I am seriously contemplating giving it up. I am now at the stage when I leave to go out cycling I wonder if I will make it home alive. Drivers in this country have NO respect for cyclists. Two years ago I was cycling to work, I was in a bike/bus lane (which in my opinion is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, who in their right mind thought that it was a good idea for bikes and buses to lane share...very safe!!!!!) when I driver had illegally parked. The driver threw their door open on me which I of course cycled straight in to. I was thrown to the ground and a bus drove straight over my bike. The driver informed me that she was not looking for bikes when was opening her door!! I was left with a trashed bike, ruined clothing, broken helmet and a fractured collar bone!

Yesterday I contacted central Scotland police in regard to my incident with Mr Angry...fully aware that this would be a waste of my time and that of the police. The officer I talked to was very understanding but informed me that there was nothing that could be done as I was my word against that of Mr Angry. The police officer stated that they would have went and talked to Mr Angry but unfortunately the registration plates on the car/trailer was not registered. Just my luck!!

I fully aware that I am just ranting but it is Sunday and I am frustrated that I am not out on my bike. I feel that the time has come for cyclists to take a stand. Our government claims that it has an environmental conscience and they wish to promote sustainable transport. Correct me if I'm wrong shout safer cycling not be at the route of this??????????? I have just written to my local MP so let’s hope that he takes my grievance on board and takes it forward!

irc

Re: Bad drivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby irc » 23 May 2010, 6:29pm

I disagree on bus/cycle lanes. Unlike most cycling facilities they are at least a decent width. I frequently use bus lanes in Glasgow and have never had any problems sharing with buses or taxis. Riding in the centre of the lane stops any dodgy overtakes.

Sorry to hear of your dooring. While it was the drivers fault it was avoidable if you had given the car a door widths clearance when passing. Even if that meant going out of the bus lane into the main traffic flow.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 23 May 2010, 7:21pm

irc wrote:I disagree on bus/cycle lanes. Unlike most cycling facilities they are at least a decent width. I frequently use bus lanes in Glasgow and have never had any problems sharing with buses or taxis. Riding in the centre of the lane stops any dodgy overtakes.

Sorry to hear of your dooring. While it was the drivers fault it was avoidable if you had given the car a door widths clearance when passing. Even if that meant going out of the bus lane into the main traffic flow.

You want to try using the bus/taxi/cycle lanes around Speke. Scouse taxi drivers are the pits, even in primary they'll attempt to squeeze past at speed, I'm sure they do it deliberately because they object to you being there.

MattyDeez

Postby MattyDeez » 23 May 2010, 7:38pm

Isn't that what makes cycling exciting though? Must just be me though.

Having some utter lunatic voice his daft opinion and tries to hit you is just plain insane and pointless. No logic whatsoever.

I've had the fair share of bad drivers, a BMW Mini driver, a women in fact - I was in the middle of the right hand lane going round the round-about and she squeezes past me near the island only to go left. Stupid women.

Big T

Postby Big T » 24 May 2010, 1:12pm

Having been deliberately driven at yesterday, I'm thinking of investing in a helmet cam. That way, it won't just be your word against Mr Angry's, you'll have video evidence to back it up.

Whilst I get a fair share of car hoots and dangerous overtakes, I find few if any drivers want to confront me when they see 18st of angry cyclist in their rear view mirror. After a recent close overtake incident, I chased after the errant motorist, he thought about stopping, then changed his mind and drove off at speed.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 24 May 2010, 2:19pm

MattyDeez wrote:Isn't that what makes cycling exciting though? Must just be me though.

Probably just you.
-----------------------------------------------------------

gilesjuk

Postby gilesjuk » 24 May 2010, 9:38pm

I guess some of the people on the road are criminals. By that I mean they are driving with dodgy plates, uninsured etc.. so they aren't going to be very tolerant of cyclists.

ANTONISH

Postby ANTONISH » 25 May 2010, 8:22am

Big T wrote:Whilst I get a fair share of car hoots and dangerous overtakes, I find few if any drivers want to confront me when they see 18st of angry cyclist in their rear view mirror. After a recent close overtake incident, I chased after the errant motorist, he thought about stopping, then changed his mind and drove off at speed.

Probably looking for a diminutive cyclist like me to vent his fury on :(

AlanD

Postby AlanD » 25 May 2010, 10:49am

Every time I read threads like this I think, "One day I really am going to get a helmet cam".

Big T

Postby Big T » 25 May 2010, 12:33pm

ANTONISH wrote:
Big T wrote:Whilst I get a fair share of car hoots and dangerous overtakes, I find few if any drivers want to confront me when they see 18st of angry cyclist in their rear view mirror. After a recent close overtake incident, I chased after the errant motorist, he thought about stopping, then changed his mind and drove off at speed.

I try not to lose my rag. Sometimes, when a car hoots, I just wave at them, as if it's someone I know, or ignore them all together. However, I do take exception to someone passing so close that they are endangering my life, as happened on this occassion.

On Sunday, whilst riding in a small group, 2 abreast on a wide 2 carraigeway country lane with no other traffic, a car hooted then deliberately aimed at us, crossing the white line. Nothing much we could do, as he was going in the other direction, but a helmet cam would have been very useful to record the incident.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 25 May 2010, 4:44pm

Big T wrote:
ANTONISH wrote:

I try not to lose my rag. Sometimes, when a car hoots, I just wave at them, as if it's someone I know, or ignore them all together. However, I do take exception to someone passing so close that they are endangering my life, as happened on this occassion.

On Sunday, whilst riding in a small group, 2 abreast on a wide 2 carraigeway country lane with no other traffic, a car hooted then deliberately aimed at us, crossing the white line. Nothing much we could do, as he was going in the other direction, but a helmet cam would have been very useful to record the incident.

Carry a hammer...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

gilesjuk

Postby gilesjuk » 25 May 2010, 5:10pm

I wouldn't carry a hammer, a big spanner would do the job and you have a legitimate reason for carrying it. You need it to adjust something on your bike.

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 25 May 2010, 5:12pm

gilesjuk wrote:I wouldn't carry a hammer, a big spanner would do the job and you have a legitimate reason for carrying it. You need it to adjust something on your bike.

Fill your bike pump with lead shot. (It'd be like one of those extending battons too!)

Nutsey

Postby Nutsey » 25 May 2010, 5:47pm

Big T wrote:
ANTONISH wrote:

I try not to lose my rag. Sometimes, when a car hoots, I just wave at them, as if it's someone I know

Hahahaha i love this! Will do this next time i get tooted
:mrgreen:

Nutsey

Postby Nutsey » 25 May 2010, 5:53pm

kwackers wrote:
gilesjuk wrote:I wouldn't carry a hammer, a big spanner would do the job and you have a legitimate reason for carrying it. You need it to adjust something on your bike.

Fill your bike pump with lead shot. (It'd be like one of those extending battons too!)

I have thought about this as well. If my balance wasnt so poor with one hand on the bars, i would go for a medieval mounted crusader-strike with the extended pump, skillfully unsheathed whilst riding.

A student in south manchester pulled into the cycling lane in front of me without indicating, but before I reached for the pump they apologised profusely :D i surprised myself as i'm otherwise a non-confrontational person.