Acknowledgements(or lack thereof)

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
colnagokid

Acknowledgements(or lack thereof)

Post by colnagokid »

Out for an extended run this a.m. using the formed wide cycle lane on the old A77 to Glasgow & return.........

Must have passed at least 30+ fellow cyclists, a mix of MTB'rs; racers and casual tourers going the opposite way.......a quick g'morning from me to all.......

I reckon only half a doz bothered to reply/acknowledge my presence....... sad sign of the times??

me thinking we are a rather enlightened lot north of the border...... or perhaps just a shower of ignorant so n' so's

Is this typical over the country?

We live in hope
Wildduck

Re: Acknowledgements(or lack thereof)

Post by Wildduck »

Carpet tacks.
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)
MattyDeez

Post by MattyDeez »

I find that the bikers in helmets, full gear proper seasoned cyclists say "alright" to me, but it's the commuters that don't. No helmets type folks.
bodach

Post by bodach »

I live out in the sticks on the west coast where we get lots of tourists. Most do respond.This morning passed one near the top of a hill (he was going up) who did not respond but did give a sort of grimace but I forgave him as I think after the climb he was incapable of speech.
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

Out in the countryside, I say "Hello There!" to anyone I see - cyclists, walkers, joggers, people trimming their garden hedges . . . . If people don't reply, I don't take it personally, and neither do I take it as some sort of indication of moral decline in society! There are all sorts of reasons why people don't reply.

Yesterday, (while I was resting at the top of a hill) a bloke cycling the other way stopped and came over to my side of the road for a chat! :D Worth a hundred 'Helloes', I think!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Perhaps they are tired, out of breath and just said hello to 50 other commuters, tourists and MTBers already?
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

MattyDeez wrote: bikers in helmets, full gear proper seasoned cyclists

i didn't realise i wasn't a proper cyclist - perhaps i'll invest some money in something with no proven benifits so i appear like one? :lol:
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Commuting I don't bother, something to do with the utilitarianess of it I guess. I just want to get to work or get home, the bicycle is to some degree irrelevant.
Having said that if someone said hello to me then I'd reply, nobody does and there's always the danger that if someone did they'd be well past before I realised what had happened...
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

kwackers wrote:Commuting I don't bother, something to do with the utilitarianess of it I guess. I just want to get to work or get home, the bicycle is to some degree irrelevant.
Having said that if someone said hello to me then I'd reply, nobody does and there's always the danger that if someone did they'd be well past before I realised what had happened...

This^

If there are a lot of people cycling then you can't expect niceties from all of them. On a leisure ride its different.

Its like in Crocodile Dundee 2, he arrives in New York and starts introducing himself to strangers on the pavement. Its weird. :|
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

colnagokid wrote:Is this typical over the country?

No. I did 40 miles this morning and passed countless cyclists - mainly roadies but some MTBs in there as well. Virtually all gave an acknowledgement; brief wave, nod or spoken. Individuals and the odd club run. Initiation was split evenly between us all (lest you think I go around frantically waving at everyone :lol: ) Horseriders are also good value I find.

You can have your faith restored!

Interestingly I was only blanked at a tea room, but I've made that the subject of another thread elsewhere!
martinwf5

Post by martinwf5 »

MattyDeez wrote:I find that the bikers in helmets, full gear proper seasoned cyclists say "alright" to me, but it's the commuters that don't. No helmets type folks.

I don't wear a helmet or wear full gear, nor am i a commuter, but i use my bike everyday for everday needs, shopping,dentist, transportation of small people,
I would like to know what "type" i am, thats if i am worthy of a type or am i on top of the list? :D :D :D :D

Martin
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

martinwf5 wrote:
MattyDeez wrote:I find that the bikers in helmets, full gear proper seasoned cyclists say "alright" to me, but it's the commuters that don't. No helmets type folks.

I don't wear a helmet or wear full gear, nor am i a commuter, but i use my bike everyday for everday needs, shopping,dentist, transportation of small people,
I would like to know what "type" i am, thats if i am worthy of a type or am i on top of the list? :D :D :D :D

Martin

If you're retired (or part time/not gainfully employed) then you fit into my "retired, utility and quiet ride" type. :wink:
If you're employed full time then you don't really fit any - I've never needed a group for someone in full time employment who uses their bike daily for utility, never seen one! (Although I'm sure they exist).

Don't worry though, as with all stereotypes you're not expected to be a perfect match. :lol:
meic

Post by meic »

I find it more of a country v city thing.

Out here you get into the habit of greeting all the people you see (and half the animals :wink: )
I was cycling through Swansea city at 6am Saturday morning and habitually said hello to the first few pedestrians that I passed on the Sustran's track. The blanking out that I got quickly reminded me that I was in a city and they have a different social structure.

I often do feel like Paul Hogan in Crocodile Dundee in that respect.

The number of cars that give me a friendly wave as they pass me going the other way is certainly far greater than the number of people that I know, let alone the number of my friends. I think many motorists have got so used to seeing me on the road that they feel they now "know me" and give a wave.

Maybee you do have a breakdown in society over there in urban areas or more likely you just have too many people to acknowledge them all.
Yma o Hyd
Si

Post by Si »

Yesterday it didn't seem to be what people were wearing or riding, but time of day. First thing in the morning no one returned my greetings, but on my way home, 10:30ish in the morning everyone was saying hello. Maybe it's a case of early morning serious training rides and not wanting to break concentration?
Kirst

Post by Kirst »

My mum says I'm not allowed to talk to strangers.
I can handle bars and cycle paths but I can't handle cars and psychopaths

http://action.hopenothate.org.uk/page/s/notinmyname