Common myths.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Tom Richardson

Re: Common myths.

Post by Tom Richardson »

DavidT wrote: I really enjoy driving (especially as an IAM member).

Driving can seem enjoyable to people doing it because the problems of risk, noise, pollution and environmental cost are passed on to wider society.

How much do you enjoy other people driving?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

GeoffL wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:Never seen a driver smiling though....

I have - almost every time I show one a bit of courtesy (either as a cyclist or a driver) and vice versa. I guess you must live in a very "sour" part of the country.

I'll rephrase - I've never seen a driver smiling to themselves.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

Common Myths:

Switching fog lamps on when it's getting dark and/or drizzling means it's safe to ignore the speed limit.

Cyclists are NOT dazzled by full-beam headlights.

Indicators are optional.
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

When driving to work early in the morning it's safe to ignore all speed limits and drive as fast as you like as there will be no other traffic around and certainly no police traffic patrols.
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

Not forgetting:

The motor vehicle has automatic priority in all situations, most especially in contra-flow "traffic calming" pinch points.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Guy951 wrote:especially in contra-flow "traffic calming" pinch points.

yes - give way doesn't mean give way, but merely give way to motor vehicles
Ash28

Post by Ash28 »

You only ride a bike because you can't afford a car. :roll:

And when seen out in your car the first thing said will be "where's the bike ?" :lol:
The Only Cyclist In The Village
bevblade

Post by bevblade »

I know you've mentioned helmet wearing, but a court case held that a cyclist was partly responsible for the injuries suffered (by being knocked down by a HGV) for not wearing their helmet. Do helmets have invisible shields as on star trek's enterprise that prevents cars and HGvs causing you damage?

On the other side of the fence, it's a myth that cyclists can jump red lights.

Also, I don't disagree with cycling on the pavement responsibly if the road traffic is too dangerous, but speed should be severely limited. A lot of capaigns against pavement cycling are raised because cyclists often ride at speeds that are potentially dangerous and certainly frightening for pedestrians.

Not clearing cuttings from hedge trimming by farmers and councils do not cause punctures. This is especially true when the hedge is hawthorn. There is absolutely no link between thorn clippings lying around, especially when hidden amongst other debris, and punctures. I know that's not motorists but it is a point about cyclists being ignored.

Finally, why is the cyclist considered the lowest life-form? When on a joint cycle / footpath cyclists should give way to pedestrians. On a bridle path to horses and on a road, to motorists (by force!). Can't we have some cycle friendly trail with signs saying 'everyone must gove way to cyclists', except dogs of course!!!
chronyx

Post by chronyx »

gaz545 wrote:I recently went up park lane at 30mph - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH8nUk4-uBI
I only slowed down here due to a red traffic light.

That is awesome! :D
rower40

Post by rower40 »

GeoffL wrote:
rower40 wrote:Riding 2-abreast is illegal.

Evidently the same selective vision that leads to "Sorry Mate I Didn't See You" causes the motorist to edit out the words "More Than" in the highway code rule:
You should not ride more than two abreast.

... and cyclists to edit out the remainder of that rule?
never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

However... IMO if there's two of you and one needs to be in primary position for safety, then it's completely reasonable to ride two-abreast with the other in secondary position.

Sorry, you're quite right. I couldn't find my copy of the 2007 Highway code, and was using the 2001 Sixth Impression of the 1999 version. "Ride in single file on narrow or busy roads" is, in that version, a separate bullet point.
"Little Green Men Are Everywhere... ...But Mostly On Traffic Lights."
Ash28

Post by Ash28 »

You only ride a bike because you have not passed your driving test or you have been done for drink driving. :!:
The Only Cyclist In The Village
rbrian

Post by rbrian »

You only ride a bike because you're some sort of eco-mentalist lefty Guardian-reading poof.

Actually, that one's true. :roll:
Cynic? No, an optimist tempered by experience.
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

Wearing a h*lm*t helps you avoid accidents. :roll:
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

Bikes can't carry shopping or other things like laptops, brief cases etc.
TwoPlusTen

Post by TwoPlusTen »

gilesjuk wrote:Bikes can't carry shopping or other things like laptops, brief cases etc.

That's exactly the excuse that keeps getting trotted out when I asked why people don't cycle on another forum.