So all cyclists who get killed by HGVs are undertakers?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
downfader
Posts: 1074
Joined: 8 Feb 2009, 10:09pm
Contact:

So all cyclists who get killed by HGVs are undertakers?

Postby downfader » 28 Jun 2010, 3:57pm

Not this morning. Didnt happen to me and luckily no harm done.

So, 0730 this morning, I'm riding up onto Shirley Road in Southampton, young girl in front of me on a bike, and a little further up ahead close to the lights after the Osbourne Pub theres a die-in-the-wool roady. Although technically not a real HGV, a large tipper lorry of some kind overtook myself and the girl and approached behind the lad on the road bike. The Roadie was around 15 feet from the lights, but the driver just HAD to get past him regardless of the red light.

Thankfully the roadie had a little savvy as he held off, realising the lorry was now at a funny 20 degree angle to the junction. (Shame the minibus behind me didnt hold off either, cutting me off for a few feet of space too, but thats a separate story). Lights go green and lorry turns left. Roadie had waited at a distance behind, well done that Roadie.

Now I would love someone like the CTC to look into how many cases of death or injury by large vehicles occur each year, and what percentage were the cyclist's fault. Most of the big rigs and stuff around here gets driven quite well, but then you see stuff like this morning and it makes you think. :|

james01
Posts: 2034
Joined: 6 Aug 2007, 4:48am

Re: So all cyclists who get killed by HGVs are undertakers?

Postby james01 » 28 Jun 2010, 5:32pm

downfader wrote:Thankfully the roadie had a little savvy as he held off, realising the lorry was now at a funny 20 degree angle to the junction. :|


You can't beat experience plus constant awareness in these situations. If you keep your eyes & ears open your instincts usually let you know that someone's about to do something incredibly stupid. And personally I wouldn't feel happy riding without a rear view mirror, it can help you to see a "situation" developing.

downfader
Posts: 1074
Joined: 8 Feb 2009, 10:09pm
Contact:

Re: So all cyclists who get killed by HGVs are undertakers?

Postby downfader » 28 Jun 2010, 9:02pm

james01 wrote:
downfader wrote:Thankfully the roadie had a little savvy as he held off, realising the lorry was now at a funny 20 degree angle to the junction. :|


You can't beat experience plus constant awareness in these situations. If you keep your eyes & ears open your instincts usually let you know that someone's about to do something incredibly stupid. And personally I wouldn't feel happy riding without a rear view mirror, it can help you to see a "situation" developing.


Oh I think he heard the vehicle long before. I know I did, and when it was close you feel it rumble over the tarmac. Thankfully I've found them quite unlikely to sneak up to you.

User avatar
[XAP]Bob
Posts: 16971
Joined: 26 Sep 2008, 4:12pm

Re: So all cyclists who get killed by HGVs are undertakers?

Postby [XAP]Bob » 28 Jun 2010, 9:32pm

downfader wrote:
james01 wrote:
downfader wrote:Thankfully the roadie had a little savvy as he held off, realising the lorry was now at a funny 20 degree angle to the junction. :|


You can't beat experience plus constant awareness in these situations. If you keep your eyes & ears open your instincts usually let you know that someone's about to do something incredibly stupid. And personally I wouldn't feel happy riding without a rear view mirror, it can help you to see a "situation" developing.


Oh I think he heard the vehicle long before. I know I did, and when it was close you feel it rumble over the tarmac. Thankfully I've found them quite unlikely to sneak up to you.


Maybe - but I like the reassurance of having a visual on what is going on as well.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

downfader
Posts: 1074
Joined: 8 Feb 2009, 10:09pm
Contact:

Re: So all cyclists who get killed by HGVs are undertakers?

Postby downfader » 28 Jun 2010, 9:49pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:Maybe - but I like the reassurance of having a visual on what is going on as well.


I'm not denying visual clues aint a good thing.I do a lot of shoulder checks around these roads for exactly that purpose. My bike wont take a mirror and I think at the speeds I can get up wo coupled with the road surfaces that it would probably break off. :lol:

Alan D
Posts: 1665
Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 1:29pm
Location: South Oxfordshire

Re: So all cyclists who get killed by HGVs are undertakers?

Postby Alan D » 28 Jun 2010, 9:54pm

Downfader, did you get the registration number and did you/the roadie report the incident to the Police?

Alan D
Posts: 1665
Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 1:29pm
Location: South Oxfordshire

Re: So all cyclists who get killed by HGVs are undertakers?

Postby Alan D » 28 Jun 2010, 9:55pm

If the B***** is'nt stopped, he will go and do it again.

downfader
Posts: 1074
Joined: 8 Feb 2009, 10:09pm
Contact:

Re: So all cyclists who get killed by HGVs are undertakers?

Postby downfader » 28 Jun 2010, 10:04pm

Alan D wrote:Downfader, did you get the registration number and did you/the roadie report the incident to the Police?


No I was a little too far away when I realised what was happening added to the fact I didnt instinctively look for it :oops: , plus the vehicle was covered in muck (seems common when you see a vehicle driven badly like that and I do sometimes take it as pointer to be cautious)

I would hope this is a one-off and that he'll think about junctions and cyclists a little better. I know you cant always be certain that'll happen though

eileithyia
Posts: 7792
Joined: 31 Jan 2007, 6:46pm
Location: Horwich Which is Lancs :-)

Re: So all cyclists who get killed by HGVs are undertakers?

Postby eileithyia » 29 Jun 2010, 8:32am

To answer the question, NO.

Similalry on saturday I was on a dual carriageway approaching a roundabout.
A car had overtaken and was now in front of me in the inside lane, slowing to negotiate the roundabout.
A lorry overtook me with probably about 2-3 lorry lengths between myself and the giveway.
As it came past I was muttering "Don't come in, Please don't come in, please don't come in.
During this time the car continued their journey, and the inside lane became "free".
So the lorry cut into the inside lane, stopped at such an angle to cut off all escape routes and I was left to brake sharply.
At least I was half expecting it with my general experience of the roads, but an inexperienced cyclist could easily have found themself with no space!
As it was I stopped with my shoulder centimetres from the crash bar across the back and no doubt it would have been my fault had I piled into the back of him!
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

CJV
Posts: 46
Joined: 24 Sep 2008, 11:42am
Location: London

Re: So all cyclists who get killed by HGVs are undertakers?

Postby CJV » 29 Jun 2010, 9:11am

Re: So all cyclists who get killed by HGVs are undertakers?


Not necessarily. I think some of them might be grave diggers.

Tom Richardson
Posts: 772
Joined: 25 Jun 2007, 1:45pm

Re: So all cyclists who get killed by HGVs are undertakers?

Postby Tom Richardson » 29 Jun 2010, 9:21am

eileithyia wrote:To answer the question, NO.

So the lorry cut into the inside lane, stopped at such an angle to cut off all escape routes and I was left to brake sharply.
As it was I stopped with my shoulder centimetres from the crash bar across the back and no doubt it would have been my fault had I piled into the back of him!


exactly. Hands up anyone who hasn't had that experience.

an overtaking lorry driver once explained it to me with the impeccable logic of a professional driver: 'I could either run head on into oncoming traffic or run over you, so what did you expect me to do?'.

kwackers
Posts: 13811
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: So all cyclists who get killed by HGVs are undertakers?

Postby kwackers » 29 Jun 2010, 9:39am

Tom Richardson wrote:exactly. Hands up anyone who hasn't had that experience.

an overtaking lorry driver once explained it to me with the impeccable logic of a professional driver: 'I could either run head on into oncoming traffic or run over you, so what did you expect me to do?'.

Ah - the old should brake/accelerate dilemma of our 4 wheel friends...

Well, if only it were a dilemma then at least it would have meant they'd actually considered braking - I'm firmly of the opinion very few do.

I had one yesterday morning, try to overtake me coming off a traffic island, the exit off the island is a single lane (albeit wide) with a bollard crossing, I come off in primary into the throat (which narrows for the bollards) only to have an 8 wheel wagon come off the second lane of the island and cut straight across at a fair rate of knots - had I moved over or been going slightly faster there was no way he could have stopped.

It was a Grundy's 'skip hire / landfill' wagon though - I'm sure anyone who cycles around Widnes/Runcorn will be aware of them. Easily the most appalling standard of driving I've ever seen attributable to a single employer.

User avatar
Guy951
Posts: 1596
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 8:23am
Location: Mid Beds

Re: So all cyclists who get killed by HGVs are undertakers?

Postby Guy951 » 29 Jun 2010, 10:01am

Tom Richardson wrote:an overtaking lorry driver once explained it to me with the impeccable logic of a professional driver: 'I could either run head on into oncoming traffic or run over you, so what did you expect me to do?'.


The obvious, if somewhat long-winded answer to that is:

Wait behind until you can see there is enough room to overtake safely. If you can't get your head around that little concept hand your licence in - you're obviously not fit to drive!
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster

fimm
Posts: 328
Joined: 7 Sep 2009, 3:29pm

Re: So all cyclists who get killed by HGVs are undertakers?

Postby fimm » 29 Jun 2010, 10:48am

Funnily enough, I had a minor run-in with a lorry this morning too - I was wide in a 2-lane urban (30 limit) road to pass a parked car, the minute I started moving in he came hammering past me and I had to break (though not hard, just take most of my speed off) to let him in.
Of course it's a race...

downfader
Posts: 1074
Joined: 8 Feb 2009, 10:09pm
Contact:

Re: So all cyclists who get killed by HGVs are undertakers?

Postby downfader » 29 Jun 2010, 7:31pm

fimm wrote:Funnily enough, I had a minor run-in with a lorry this morning too - I was wide in a 2-lane urban (30 limit) road to pass a parked car, the minute I started moving in he came hammering past me and I had to break (though not hard, just take most of my speed off) to let him in.


I call those "scrubbers", not because of the famous flick but because you have to scrub off speed although still managed a little momentum after.