Hawk Attack

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
HJRW

Hawk Attack

Post by HJRW »

My son was doing his commute from Forfar to Montrose on Wednesday when he felt a whack on his helmet. Thought it was a stone or branch, looked round & saw he was being followed by a Buzzard. A trawl on the net has revealed that this is not unknown during the nesting season. His raptor friend even took a little bite out of his helmet. Another vote for helmet wearing, and a change from being chased by dogs.
KEEP CALM AND PEDAL ON -1999 Cresswell Fold-it, 1997 Pashley Tuberider, 1997 Raleigh Special Products Pro-Line M-Trax 300 MTB, 1982 Raleigh Royale, 1951 Robin Hood Sports, 1936 BSA Clubman, 1912 Swift Loop Frame, 2019 Boardman HYB 8.8
meic

Re: Hawk Attack

Post by meic »

A trawl of the Forum will show he is not the first here either!

Fortunately I have only been attacked on my motorbike, where the helmet is a REAL helmet. :wink:
Yma o Hyd
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

HJRW wrote:My son was doing his commute from Forfar to Montrose on Wednesday when he felt a whack on his helmet. Thought it was a stone or branch, looked round & saw he was being followed by a Buzzard. A trawl on the net has revealed that this is not unknown during the nesting season. His raptor friend even took a little bite out of his helmet. Another vote for helmet wearing, and a change from being chased by dogs.

Unless of course it was an anti-helmet bird and therefore would not have attacked a bare head
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Happened to me some years back in Devon.
It's not a nice experience!
Mick F. Cornwall
goatwarden

Post by goatwarden »

Mick F wrote:Happened to me some years back in Devon.
It's not a nice experience!

Well, Mick, there's a moral for you. Keep out of that there Devon, it's foreighn and they don't welcome strangers!
steverobb1973

Post by steverobb1973 »

This happened to me today on the same road. Just off the A92 near Montrose between Maryton and Bonnyton.

Initial clunk on the back of the helmet, I looked round saw the bird (3 ft wingspan and dark brown undercarraige) the bird then continued to chase me a swoop on me continuously. Probably for 500m and 6 swwops or so.

Think it was a sparrowhawk protecting her fledglings...

Papped myself!! :P

Wont be back on that road for a while!

Steve
cyclingthelakes

Post by cyclingthelakes »

So the thread title says "hawk" but actually it was a "buzzard"??

I'm seeing them out and around quite a bit, I once came up on the river and a big ol' hawk was sitting on a tree stump, it's something how hawks and owls really don't cower or get flustered when a human gets near them, once the darn Owl right at dusk must have jumped down on his prey, a squirrel or whatever right in front of me, surprised me...we don't really have any predatory animals around here unless it be boars.
vorsprung

Post by vorsprung »

I have been attacked twice by a buzzard riding audaxes in Devon. Same experience for me as the OP, like a stone hitting the helmet

First time was the "3 moors" 300km in 2004
Second time was the k&sw 600 in 2008

On both occasions it was the same time of year (June/July) and the same bit of road near Holdsworthy