Coast to coast.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Paul A

Coast to coast.

Post by Paul A »

Morning all, this is my first post to this forum and my question is about my first ever cycling tour. In late May this year I'm planning to cycle alone from the Channel to the Med - Le Havre to Montpellier. Ferry out, fly back. I'll be staying in small hotels and b+bs. I'll be using minor roads alongside rivers, voie verts (green paths) and canal towpaths, in fact anything to avoid gradients as I'm not really chasing the spotted jersey.
Any tips or hints would be gratefully received.
I read on another forum about using pepper spray to deter dogs, Has anyone ever used it? where do you get it? is it even legal !!! ???
Many thanks, Paul.
gerry

Re:Coast to coast.

Post by gerry »

Have you read "Downhill All The Way" by Edward Enfield (Harry's dad)? He did it, and wrote this very amusing book about his trip.
velojames

Post by velojames »

The most interesting route would I think be to head from Le Havre to the Loire which you can do near Orléans. Follow the Loire to its source in the Ardèche then follow the river Ardèche to wards Provence (Orange, Avignon). There will be some climbs but not too challenging. If you avoid red roads on Michelin maps you should be OK for traffic. I have a route from Le Havre via Chartres to Marcigny on the Loire if you're interested. It'll be fun whichever way you go!
Paul A

Post by Paul A »

Thanks for the replies. I actually read Edward Enfield's book a few years ago - it was his brilliant book that inspired me to give the trip a go. Tom Vernon's "Fat man on a bicycle " is also well worth a read, although it's perhaps a bit short on practicle advice.
I'm more or less following Enfield's route, but since he did it the trip the Burgundy canal's towpath has been improved and there is a new 23km green path from Le Neubourg to Evreux. There's also a new 75km green path following the route of an old railway line that runs paralell to the river Soane from Chagny near Beaune to Villefranch -s - Saone ...ish. This even includes a 5km tunnel - I can't wait !.
Any advice on dealing with angry french farmyard dogs etc etc ...still wanted though.

Paul.
JohnAC

Post by JohnAC »

Alastair Sawday (spelling is correct) for French B&B s that are consistently good and inexpensive (has a web site). If you go via Calais then use the Eurotunnel Cycle Service (Cannes to Calais direction) and they will help you bring back lots of wine (the saving could pay for a substantial lump of your trip). Never had trouble with dogs - all bark (lots of it!) but no bite. More important that you take something to help the derriere! Read Tim Moore's 'French Revolutions' or at least take it with you as it will keep you laughing when you may be feeling a little down after your fifth day of continuous rain (it happens, believe me).
Make sure you take a digital camera (see www.geocities.com/cyclefrance2004 for the reason why). Clothes crease less in panniers if packed neatly in lots of twos or threes inside supermarket carrier bags and then these go in the panniers. Best maps to use are the old Series Vert, now renamed carte de Promenade as give contour lines and all 'd' roads. If you can afford it a Garmin portable satnav alongside your map will save you getting lost and eating up miles/lkilometres unnecessarily.

Probably some more tips that can think of given time

Good luck!

John AC

Lots of other tips