Shoulder check ---> Overtake?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
cjchambers

Shoulder check ---> Overtake?

Post by cjchambers »

On my predominantly rural commute, I quite often find myself being followed patiently by a car driver where it isn't safe to overtake. I look over my shoulder to see how far away they are, if they're pulling a trailer, if there are any other cars etc. And then . . . instantly . . . they overtake! It's as if they treat the shoulder check as in invitation to overtake, without using their own judgement.

Is this genuine, or is it just in my head? And how can I stop it happening?!
crazydavid

Re: Shoulder check ---> Overtake?

Post by crazydavid »

Invest in a rear view mirror :lol:
crazydavid

Post by crazydavid »

Invest in a rear view mirror :lol:
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

crazydavid wrote:Invest in a rear view mirror :lol:

+1 when you have a mirror your more aware of what's going on around you without upsetting your ride
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

... and then of course you always get at least one more lemming following the first - the bigger the first vehicle, the more lemmings ...

In town I ended up suspecting that even the presence of a mirror was enough to give them leave to overtake.

I reckon obvious headphones helps. On occaision I will deliberately wobble like a n00b ...
(my headphones don't block out the noise of a macho driver deliberately getting up close and personal)

When they become cheap enough, I will fit an LCD monitor on my handlebar as well as a DVR - the miniature video cameras are already cheap enough.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think it's certainly true that a lot of drivers on rural roads assume that you don't know they are there - and with all the wind noise created by helmets that may be increasingly true.

Five or six years ago I was riding up a very steep and narrow side road in a remote part of Upper Nidderdale. I could hear a car revving behind but the only way I could have let the driver pass would have been to stop and climb onto the verge. I then got a blast of the type only big German cars seem to do so I stopped - largely from surprise. I had a conversation with the following BMW driver who explained to me that he was letting me know he was there. I really found it hard to understand why he could not extend to me the small courtesy of letting me struggle to the top of the hill. Rather than follow my instinct to shove the bike through the sunshine roof I just said "Steep hill, old man, tired legs" with the appropriate gestures and got out of his way. His wife looked as though she wished the ground would open and swallow them up.
meic

Post by meic »

Yes it is something that I have observed over the years and I will consider looking over the shoulder as triggering an overtake, so i make sure that I look over the shoulder at the right time.
Unfortunately sometimes you have to do a swerve so you must give a lightening rear glance and move out almost as one movement so they dont get time to start the overtake.
Yma o Hyd
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

John Franklin, Cyclecraft, p80: "Many drivers seem to think that because a cyclist has looked behind and seen them, it is safe to overtake."

Franklin advises either a longer look back to establish eye contact (but it doesn't work for me), or looking back discretely -- turning your head as little as possible.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I always (well, mostly) accompany any look or even no look at all with a "half right" - you know the small, bent elbow right hand signal which tells them "not yet" and a nudge to the middle of the lane. This is followed by a wave-on and thanks when appropriate. They seem to love it...maybe it's just showing you care :D .
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

Thanks for all the replies. I do think I need a mirror really, but I've been put off by the complications of drop bars with bar end shifters. I'll bite the bullet soon!

I very rarely miss a car approaching from behind, and when I'm driving it never really occurs to me that cyclists might not know I'm there. Hopefully I overtake wide and slow enough that it wouldn't take them by surprise too much, but it's something to think about I suppose. I've heard about this 'tooting on approach' thing that is popular on the continent . . . it's a pity that the horn is seen/used in a strictly antisocial manner in the UK and elsewhere.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

cjchambers wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I do think I need a mirror really, but I've been put off by the complications of drop bars with bar end shifters. I'll bite the bullet soon!
If you have aero brake levers in conjuction with your bar end gear levers they can easily be drilled and tapped at the top to take a 5mm allen screw. That will enable a mirror to be fitted to the top of the brake lever (Mirrcycle I think). My girlfriend has these on all her bikes and relies on them as her hearing is impaired.
When we tour in France She insists on me having one on my left lever, but I find I still rely on sound.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

[quote="cjchambers"]Thanks for all the replies. I do think I need a mirror really, but I've been put off by the complications of drop bars with bar end shifters. I'll bite the bullet soon!

quote]
I use this one clips onto the hoods
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=12923
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

yakdiver wrote:
cjchambers wrote:Thanks for all the replies. I do think I need a mirror really, but I've been put off by the complications of drop bars with bar end shifters. I'll bite the bullet soon!

quote]
I use this one clips onto the hoods

I use one of those, but there was no way I could get it to 'clip' to the hoods. Possibly you need a particular type of hood? In the end I hooked it over the 'elbow' of the bars and used the velcro to fasten it there. Seems to work well.
TwoPlusTen

Post by TwoPlusTen »

There are of course, always the alert drivers who are switched on.

On my way home from work a few weeks back I looked back over my shoulder to prepare for a right turn. The driver behind me slowed and gave way to me - even before I'd signalled.

She got a massive thumbs-up on the way across.

Unfortunately they're rare.
irc

Post by irc »

yakdiver wrote:I use this one clips onto the hoods

I also use the Blackburn Road Mirror on my tourer. As well as riding in traffic I find mirrors great for rural roads in windy conditions where you can't hear approaching traffic.

The Blackburn isn't perfect, I find it suffers from vibration on poor road surfaces but it works well enough. The fast fitting and removal by velcro strap is useful too.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?