'I am very sorry, I haven't got a bell'

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Snakes

'I am very sorry, I haven't got a bell'

Post by Snakes »

Now generally speaking I cycle to work, normally using a mix of road, cycle path and towpath. As this morning in our neck of the woods was so beautiful, I decided to walk from home to the office via the river, 6.5 miles in total.

Walking along the towpath on the latter part of my journey, a could hear a cyclist approaching me from behind (and you don't often hear a cyclist approaching until the last minute). That said, I'm a cyclist, so when walking I'm mindful of cyclists, and curtious. Anyway, I'd stepped to one side to allow the cyclist to pass, and as she did so at slow speed she said 'I am very sorry, but I haven't got a bell'. I simply replied telling her not to worry as I'd heard her coming.

The reason I write this, isn't because I beleive all cyclists should have a bell, they're useful it's true, but not compulsory other than at the point of sale of a new cycle. No, I write this as I was surprised at how pleasent this lady was, and that IMO, it was also some what unusual to recieve such communication.

I do have bells on 2 of my bikes (although one them barely works) but not on the others. I find being polite and saying 'excuse me'/smiling tends to work well, so long as you've given enough notice.

Snakes
kwackers

Re: 'I am very sorry, I haven't got a bell'

Post by kwackers »

I've never used my bell - I don't like it!

It seems impersonal and impolite, I much prefer to slow down and say "excuse me" and then "thanks" when they step aside.

I think it's the fact they sound so loud and harsh and have a 'move aside, coming through' sort of imperative to them... :lol:

This clip always makes me laugh
Pedestrian with bike bell
Si

Post by Si »

I find that whatever method you use, a ping of the bell or a polite "excuse me", there are some people who, being in a world of their own*, are still surprised by it and due to their shock immediately complain (either because they think that pinging a bell is akin to impatiently honking a car horn, or if you communicate verbally - "you should have a bell"). Thus, my method is to both ping the bell and issue a polite greeting from some way back (rather than right behind them). It can still startle them but at least they find it a bit harder to think of something to complain about (normally ends up with a "bikes shouldn't be ridden here" while standing under the cycle-path sign). But, the vast majority of my interactions with walkers on off road cycle ways tend to be perfectly amicable, with no hostility on either side.

Having said that, my town bike is so rattly that many hear it coming anyway :oops:

* Not that I'm complaining about this - level of attention should suit the environment that they re in.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Si wrote:I find that whatever method you use, a ping of the bell or a polite "excuse me", there are some people who, being in a world of their own*, are still surprised by it and due to their shock immediately complain (either because they think that pinging a bell is akin to impatiently honking a car horn, or if you communicate verbally - "you should have a bell"). ...

+1

And to stoke the flames, I'd say this appllies in spades when the person in front is on or leading a horse.
BSRU

Post by BSRU »

Thanks to John Prescott, not having a bell is criminal offence with up to a £2500 fine, never heard anyone actually using this "useful" bit of legislation.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

BSRU wrote:Thanks to John Prescott, not having a bell is criminal offence with up to a £2500 fine, never heard anyone actually using this "useful" bit of legislation.
:shock:

Knock, knock. Who's there? :wink:

I'll use what has been pointed out as my 9,999th post ( :oops: :oops: :oops: ) to ask if you would point towards the relevant legislation.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

If I was enjoying a pleasant morning stroll along the river bank listening to nature I too would not appreciate the harsh ping of a bell, but as Si said you can never please everyone.

So often they do not hear because they are attached tosome sort of device via earphones, it amuses the people pushing youngsters in prams/pushchairs having no interaction with the young child!

I've said it before, descending a stoney track with both hands on the brakes and concentrating on keeping tandem and stoker upright it is impossible to also use a bell!

A friendly greeting is far more polite.

But why oh why do walkers move out of the way for one cyclist and imm move back across the track without considering another might be behind?
Why? When a dog has made aperfectly good assessment of the situation and is staying in one place and out of the way of cyclist, do the owners always occupy opp side of track then call their dog to heel just as you are about to pass it, so dog dutifully crosses in front of you!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
BSRU

Post by BSRU »

Ignore my post it appears I wrote a load of complete rubbish as the government dropped the idea in 2008. :oops:
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

BSRU wrote:Ignore my post it appears I wrote a load of complete rubbish as the government dropped the idea in 2008. :oops:

They also dropped the idea of a classless society - I assume you were referring to Lord Prescott (It took me a few seconds to work out, who they were referring to on the today program this morning :wink:
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

eileithyia wrote: When a dog has made aperfectly good assessment of the situation and is staying in one place and out of the way of cyclist, do the owners always occupy opp side of track then call their dog to heel just as you are about to pass it, so dog dutifully crosses in front of you!!

I was cycling along Sankey Valley one day. On my left was an old dear on the grass, I kept an eye on her and moved over to the far side of the path. What I hadn't spotted was the dog in the bushes and probably more importantly the stupidly-long-lead joining the two.
I was first awakened from my dutiful pedestrian avoidance duty by the sharp yelp from the side.
Has luck had it t'would appear the old lady dropped (or had snatched) the other end out of her hand. I was able to mumble an apology and quickly continue on my way...
BSRU

Post by BSRU »

gbnz wrote:
BSRU wrote:Ignore my post it appears I wrote a load of complete rubbish as the government dropped the idea in 2008. :oops:

They also dropped the idea of a classless society - I assume you were referring to Lord Prescott (It took me a few seconds to work out, who they were referring to on the today program this morning :wink:

Prescott summed up all that was wrong with Labour, especially his 10 year transport plan.
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

Bells are seen as intimidating or even aggressive. Just like horns on cars.

We have car drivers to thank for that. Beeping at people in an aggressive manner.
CJ

Post by CJ »

kwackers wrote:I've never used my bell - I don't like it!

It seems impersonal and impolite, I much prefer to slow down and say "excuse me" and then "thanks" when they step aside.

I think it's the fact they sound so loud and harsh and have a 'move aside, coming through' sort of imperative to them... :lol:

This clip always makes me laugh
Pedestrian with bike bell

LOVE the clip - joggers take note! Of course this works so well in Japan because there it is perfectly accepted to cycle on footways - although I'm not so sure about inside shops and up escalators! That bit had me in stitches :lol:

Anyway, something that had another of my colleagues in stitches was a not-so-careful cyclist coming the opposite way on that exact same path referred to above. Like so many pedestrian/cycling "facilities": it's too narrow with blind corners and has a gravel surface on which you can't stop very quick. So when another rider comes barrelling around one of those corners on the wrong side of the path there's not a whole lot you can do to avoid a collision - except ring your bell before those corners. My colleague didn't have a bell. Actually he didn't have stitches either, but had to wear a spinal splint for several months whilst a cracked vertebra mended.

That no-so-little accident made me think again about the relevance of bells to cycling safety - and also about the perceived versus actual dangers of roads versus paths.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
CJ

Post by CJ »

gilesjuk wrote:Bells are seen as intimidating or even aggressive. Just like horns on cars.

We have car drivers to thank for that. Beeping at people in an aggressive manner.

I think you're wrong. The tinkle of a bicycle bell is quite different from the blare of a car horn. As one who rings his bell frequently, I do not get the kind of reaction one would expect if that were perceived as an aggressive demand for priority. Far from it. As cyclists we are uniquely fortunate to have the option of making a sound that requires such a compact and simple device for its making, that carries well over a distance and is nevertheless perceived as a polite warning and request. A horn says "get out of my way" a bell says "excuse me".

It probably helps that my "ting-ting" from behind is followed by a cheery "good morning" or "thank you" as I go by. You certainly cannot do that in a car. If only some of we who ride bikes will continue to do likewise, it should maintain the essentially inoffensive nature of this simple sound.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

I love tingaling bells. Not the horrible little press-ting-press-ting, but the proper swipe-tingalingatingalinga sort.

I can swipe it quickly, noisily and aggressively, or very softly with a finger against the dome to make it really gentle.

Unlike a spoken "excuse me", it clearly says that I am on a bike. It's very useful on dual-use facilities, but always at some distance from pedestrians because some of them will jump like frightened rabbits into my path.

I'm thinking of fitting one to my crutches.