Cyclist attacked by moped riders

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Grant

Cyclist attacked by moped riders

Post by Grant »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6329125.stm
What on earth is the world coming to.
Cycling muggings!
Penfold
Location: Black Country in the heart of England (Gods country)

Post by Penfold »

:evil:

Scum just plain scum :(

Lets hope that the young lady makes a recovery and that plod catch the culprits....
I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything,
I still believe that people are really good at heart.
- Anne Frank

There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England.
- Winston Churchill
Mrs Tortoise

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

Penfold wrote::evil:

Scum just plain scum :(

Lets hope that the young lady makes a recovery and that plod catch the culprits....

I agree entirely.
Hugo

Scum just plain scum

Post by Hugo »

Not just a mugging but an attempted manslaughter.

Perhaps they think they will get way lightly because
Motorists who kill cyclists only get fined £800.

The Harrow raod is quite a rough area.
I lived on the posher side of the tracks for some years.

Even if a group of CYCLISTS had attacked another one with
intent to rob and kill, the epithet "Scum just plain scum"
would apply.

People do use bicycles for unusual purposes sometimes.

Getaway on a moped would be about 40cc faster than
a cyclists who only generates about 10cc. ratio of 4/1

Wicked, evil criminals.... We hope she gets better very soon.
mel

Post by mel »

At the beginning of the 1950's we had no problems but by the beginning of the 1960's we had drugs and all of the crime that goes with them, what happened during the 1950's to cause that I'm not sure.
E.C.Ryder

Post by E.C.Ryder »

Last March a Havering CTC rider was shot in his right thigh by yobs armed with an air rifle in a white van. The rider rode home some 8 miles then called the police who were not very happy with being called out so late after the attack. The police called an ambulance for our rider and he spent the night in hospital where they found the pellet still in his leg. The pellet is still in his leg today as the hospital felt that removing it may cause some damage leaving it in wouldn`t do any harm. To date the police haven`t found the yobs with the air rifle even though the number of the white van was taken. Our rider is O.K. the pellet hasn`t slow him down on the hill`s yet.
Mrs Tortoise

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

mel wrote:At the beginning of the 1950's we had no problems but by the beginning of the 1960's we had drugs and all of the crime that goes with them, what happened during the 1950's to cause that I'm not sure.

It would be simplistic to try and explain or excuse it, but what happened was a change from the privation of war and it's immediate after effects, with a relatively sudden increase in affluence. There was also a major shift in societal control, the ordinary people began to assert themselves more and refused to toe the line. Since then we've had the loss of respect for church and state ( wonder why!) and continued affluence. Kids do drugs because they can. Technology has also moved on faster than ever before and changes in personal and family life have meant we are in a transitional state. However, please note the pendulum is beginning to swing back the other way, we have more money but less freedom - we are the most regulated society in the history of this country.

That's why.
Jac

Post by Jac »

The most regulated - yes Mrs T. -
but the least disciplined or respectful of others.
Its all about rights but not about responsibilities.
Mrs Tortoise

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

Sadly, I agree with you Jac. In my day respect was earned as were rights, both brought responsibility. While some of the liberalisation has been good, we seem to have missed out on self discipline and from it self- respect. Those who don't respect themselves will not respect anyone else.

Again sadly, most younger people only seem interested in money or material things, because the really important things are free; friendship, freedom, the beauty of a sunrise or set; they can't be bought.

Somewhere along the line, we've ditched the baby with the bathwater!
Jac

Post by Jac »

I'm depressed again :cry:

Think I will go out for a ride on my bike - its a lovely sunny day :)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I've just read the last four posts,and I agree with whats been said.Just to add to that,there also seems to be too much money not being earned to many younsters are being given too much either by state or by their parents/guardians.One has no respect if one doesn't know the value anything.Or as my Dad used to say a pound earned is not the same as pound given and how right he was.
Theres no respect because theres no cost involved,someone else is always there to pick up the bill,whereas when I was a teenager I worked and I payed my own way,there was no room for free riders,Now everybody seems to be on some benefit/scheme/course or other.

The idol young need work,with it comes respect both for themselves and the community around them and if they won't work then see how thin they get before they do.

It has to be said that we are talking about a minority of our young people but that minority is growing.
Yobishness has always been with us but now it seems to be a career choice for an alarmingly increasing number of our society.Work and lots of it is the answer in my view "the devil makes work for idol hands"is the saying that springs to mind.

Another saying is "desperate times need desperate mesures" and in these desperate times i think there isn't anything wrong with conscription into local community service, 2years of local community work carried out in minimum 3 month time blocks,between the ages of 16 and 21 would give every teenager sense of achievement,duty,teamwork and community spirit.
Work could entail litter picking,cleaning and regrading footpaths/cyclepaths,fencing the same,gardening/decorating for old folks, etc.The work could be supervised by active retired people which would IMHO bring old and young together in making a better society for all,with a less chance wreck that which the young have built.
I could go on but won't bore you any longer.Suffice to say it would only work if it were compulsory.
Mrs Tortoise

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

I won't disagree with you r2, but no government would implement it - they'd lose the election, same if they introduced conscription. Remember the first duty of any party elected to govern, is to win the next election!

PS I think you meant 'idle' rather than 'idol'.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

No, MrsT,no government would impliment it its too radical,power is all any government is interested in.
Thanks for bringing the spelling mistake to my attention I must have had my religious head on.:0)
Dai

Post by Dai »

There seems to be an awful lot of generalisation going on here. I have four children, they each have many friends and I have to say that in my dealings with them all I have found them to be well balanced and respectful individuals who are far more tolerant than people of my own generation. As an ex newspaper editor I can tell you from personal experience that there are two types of youth that make it into the media - the very bad and the very good. The vast majority that lie between those extremes are never heard or heard about.
Of course this vile attack is to be condemned but please don't condemn an entire generation because of it.
Take care
Dai
Last edited by Dai on 7 Feb 2007, 10:35am, edited 1 time in total.
David

Post by David »

Mrs Tortoise wrote:PS I think you meant 'idle' rather than 'idol'.

Perhaps it was used correctly when we consider the cult of youth we see today :-(