touring italy

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
kenneth

touring italy

Post by kenneth »

I AM HEADING TO MILAN THIS JULY WITH WIFE AND 16YR OLD SON,STARTING IN BERGAMO AND HEADING TOWARDS VENICE, TAKING IN PARTS OF THE LAKES.
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFO RE SUITABLE ROUTES, HAVE HEARD TRAFFIC IS A PROBLEM.
cycling bill

Re:touring italy

Post by cycling bill »

I am also planning to go to Italy in June and will be travelling to Vicenza (between Milan & Venice) by train with a bike bag. My main destination is Asiago north of Vicenza and it is the WW1 battle area where my father served.
The KOMPASS range of maps are quite detailed 1:50000 (the guide is in German but map sybols are in D,GB&F and these can be obtained from The Map Shop who give a very good service. www.themapshop.co.uk
There is another map of the Italian cycle route and although in Italian it is useful. This goes from TRENTO to the Brenner Pass. CICLOPISTA DEL SOLE (Cycle into the sun?)http://www.fiab-onlus.it/english/cpse.htm . The Lonely Planet book CYCLING ITALY is also good and the web site may help.
For general planning you may find that the Insight Travel Map is OK. ITALY 1:800000
this can be bought in most shops. WWW.insightguides.com
I have other info, if you want to get in touch direct my address is whauxwell@aol.com
Bill