Snow watch

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thirdcrank

Re: Snow watch

Post by thirdcrank »

We've had a couple downpours with plenty of hail mixed in, but no sign of any penguins, as yet. (Smile and wave, boys, .... :wink: )
skicat

Post by skicat »

There was a good dump of snow yesterday in the Alps.

Just in case anyone was thinking of cycling there...
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

As a TV forecaster said this morning, "I've read that article, and it basically says it will probably snow somewhere in the UK this winter."
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

snibgo wrote:As a TV forecaster said this morning, "I've read that article, and it basically says it will probably snow somewhere in the UK this winter."

Daily Mail in hedging bets shocker :lol:

I've experienced snow in mid October back in the 80s as a lad, I'm sure most people North of the Midlands have at one time or another. Conversely we've had barmy Oct days were the temps get toward 20C. usually followed though with bags of rain.

Hope the snow holds off so the local highways can get all the roads fixed before winter :lol: :lol: :twisted:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Tonyf33 wrote:Hope the snow holds off so the local highways can get all the roads fixed before winter :lol: :lol: :twisted:

{quote="Homour"]A linguistics professor was lecturing to his English class one day. "In English," he said, "A double negative forms a positive. In some languages, though, such as Russian, a double negative is still a negative. However, there is no language wherein a double positive can form a negative."

A voice from the back of the room piped up, "Yeah, right."[/quote]

I say - Yeah Right...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

I've experienced snow in mid October back in the 80s as a lad, I'm sure most people North of the Midlands have at one time or another. Conversely we've had barmy Oct days were the temps get toward 20C. usually followed though with bags of rain.

I've got camcorder footage of it snowing in June in Ashby-de-la-zouch, early 90s.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

Go on then tyke , when was that ?

I am from "Swad " and i cant remember that one :D
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This has reminded me that last week, when I wasa in B&Q on OAP's day, I bought a rather nice emergency snow shovel. I like to be prepared. :mrgreen:
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

thirdcrank wrote:This has reminded me that last week, when I wasa in B&Q on OAP's day, I bought a rather nice emergency snow shovel. I like to be prepared. :mrgreen:

Did you get the bike mounting bracket for it? :)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Erm - it's snowing!
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
karlt

Post by karlt »

Peak of 3" here but it looks like it's turning to rain. Certainly the snow that's fallen since I effectively cleared some grass by building a snowman with the kids doesn't appear to have settled and there's been a net thaw despite falling snow.
Si

Post by Si »

Interesting aromas in my house today. We have paint drying on the doors, banananana cake baking in the oven and very damp cats steaming by the fire. Snow has turned to rain now.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's turning to slush here with the sun now out as well.

Graham O

Sorry I didn't reply sooner - I must have missed your post. I never did get around to fitting a snow shovel bracket on my bike. In fact, I never needed the folding snow shovel either, although I did use my big pink one in the street earlier in the year.

For some unknown reason, we had a snow plough down our street this morning. :? That's a rare sight, even in the deep midwinter.
==================================================================
PS I see part of the M62 has been closed by the snow.
Officers are now ploughing snow in an attempt to get vehicles moving.

Perhaps one got lost down our street? :wink:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-17610005
gaz

Post by gaz »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Erm - it's snowing!

I'm sorry but comments like that belong on the Snow Report thread. Snow Watch ended last September, do try to keep up. :wink:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

gaz wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:Erm - it's snowing!

I'm sorry but comments like that belong on the Snow Report thread. Snow Watch ended last September, do try to keep up. :wink:

This was the latest thread returned by my search criterion (which I can't now recall)