Commuter

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
peter236uk

Commuter

Post by peter236uk »

Hi just thought I will try and start something off here I do commute in the spring onward two or three times a week to work, but being health con and also want to help planet and do my bit thinking of doing more the cycle is 11.5 miles each way I would love to hear from other people and there daily or weekly commute guess I could not do every day as need clothes towel etc
lucky do have showers at work
Si

Post by Si »

if you want to do it everyday: fit a rack and panniers to the bike and you can carry your clothes and towels, roll suit/shirt up in a towel and it'll stop the creasing.

My commute is around 11mile each way and takes around an hour, but I only do it every couple of weeks because I mostly work at home.

Used to do a hilly 25mile each way, three times a week - my gods that kept me fit :)
mankymitts

Post by mankymitts »

My commute is 7.5 miles each way and I try and do it all year round. Wera the right clothes and you are never cold. I have found that January and February can be some of the best months for commuting, dry and calm albeit cold.

The bike has now paid for itself by the petrol saved. I also find that I feel more alert when I arrive at work.

If work gets a bit stressful, then cycling home is a great way to de-stress yourself. :D

MM
Lusting my Pinnarello

Post by Lusting my Pinnarello »

I travel approx 10 miles to and back from work each day. And so far in the past year I have not had 1 day off cycling. Fingers crossed

I suffer from asthma, I am disabled which means I cannot legally drive (I cant read a license plate at the required distance.

I also have a disabled bus pass - which allowes FREE travel on local bus, train, tram. BUT I STILL commute on my bike as it makes the journey 2000% more better, even if its raining, boiling hot, snowing, very windy.. I dont care... I love it.

Just wish my distance was more.
1 cog short of a bike

Post by 1 cog short of a bike »

Hi, I do an 8 mile round trip almost every day, snow, rain, fog etc. The answer is simple. The right clothing and good lights.
I've managed through this winter with only an odd day missed.
I have an Altura jacket and Altura Night Vision over trousers, both are excelent but not cheap. I have good weather proof full gloves and a recently purchased Nike cycling cap that has sides that come down to keep your ears warm.
By the time I get to the station I'm as warm as toast.......

I find I actually get a bit down on the days I don't cycle. I probably miss the kick start in the morning. :lol:
Deckie

Post by Deckie »

I used to cycle to school, which isn't THAT long ago :D

That was eight miles each way (plus another five to my girlfriends after...)

It wasn't that there was no bus really, just that school was in a different county, so I had to pay for the bus (sixth form), plus I got an extra half hour in bed in the morning AND got to school before the bus! :lol:

Got the journey down to 25 mins eventually! (On a good day with a strong wind behind me, and another cyclist to chase down! I think it also helped that I only weighed 8 stone too... a distant memory)
peter236uk

commute

Post by peter236uk »

Hi all thanks for the replys and keep them coming good to hear from people.
I use a dawes galaxy with a pannier and rear bag which seems to do the job.

I going to start from monday 19th feb and try and do it 4 days a week its just if I travel in by car monday or friday think friday as can swap clothes over etc.

One other point which hakes me off I could travel by train and was looking into this but at a cost of £4.50 return not alot I know but as the car is sitting there and already purchased there is no cost saving in fuel in fact cheaper by car. when will we have a goverment that supports our public transport and make life easier for people to get around most likely when its to late
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

mankymitts wrote:If work gets a bit stressful, then cycling home is a great way to de-stress yourself. :D

I agree with everything people have said on this but I particularly liked this. Whenever colleagues suggested I was mad for cycling to and from work, I used to say that the blood being pumped around washes all the stress out of the brain. You can drive home and just get even more wound up, or bike home and get things into perspective. You also don't feel so guilty about the lack of excercise that you have to pay an arm and a leg to join a gym.
peter236uk

de stress

Post by peter236uk »

I fully agree when i cycle feel loads better also have a really nice coffee shop in my town nothing better than cycling home and stop and have cuppa and cake before going home
daveawood

Post by daveawood »

My commute's about 6.5 miles and i do it year round except really bad weather when i do wimp out and take the car!

Keeping clothes presentable during your commute is helped by rolling rather than folding them before putting them in bike bags and sometimes i take a load of clothes by car to hang in my locker and try keep them topped up by taking one carefully rolled item a day by bike and one item home for washing.

Low maintenance bikes help too maybe singlespeed or hub geared on your commuter so you can virtually forget it between commutes and keep your weekend bike clean and ready for it's job.
Dave
1 cog short of a bike

Post by 1 cog short of a bike »

Hi Peter,

I'm guessing the name peter from the handle. Nice to hear you've got a Dawes Galaxy, I wonder what year.
I brought mine back in January 1996 using some redundancy money. It's a good strong reliable bike but I actually commute on an older Raleigh Pioneer circa 1992 which is now getting a bit knackered. In fact I'm looking at replacing the wheels because the spokes keep breaking, I guess from fatigue. Also the bottom crank is so worn it physically rocks a little if you apply pressure.

I’m trying to work out if it would better to just buy a new bike but I’ve got quite attached to the ‘old girl’ after all, we have spent 1000’s of miles together.

Good luck with the commuting from Monday, I hope it goes well.
8)
peter236uk

hi

Post by peter236uk »

Hi love the dawes although she might be a little on the large side at 24'' but great bike i am 6ft 2 and bit have a few other bikes as well a lemond reno and on one pompino fixed which is great bike and a mountain bike like of us seem to collect them. But to be honest i do not do them justice the dawes gets the mostr work commute, rides and going to shops just have toe clips so can just jump on a ride with worry about shoes etc but is that what having a bike is all about really.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Well guess we are all in support of commuting; 36 mile round trip 2-3 times a week depending on shift, ( if on 2-10 take the car halfway, though often do a ride before work). Fortunately have: shower, towels (courtesy of NHS), and aren't supposed to travel in uniform so have lockers and changing facilities. At least I do not have to worry about posh clothes!.
One commuter I knew would take car/bike/week supply of clothes to work Monday morning, ride to and fro rest of week, returning with car/bike/laundry on Friday pm.
Penfold
Location: Black Country in the heart of England (Gods country)

Post by Penfold »

Great topic,

I wonder how many commuters have access to clothing lockers,showers and a secure cycle shed/locker.

I'm very lucky, I have all three 8) 'Our' showers are what put the power into power showers too :shock:
I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything,
I still believe that people are really good at heart.
- Anne Frank

There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England.
- Winston Churchill
gaterz1981

Post by gaterz1981 »

I love my commute, not quite all weather cyclist at the moment though. About 8 miles each way with some monster climbs, time ranges from 18-25 mins. Gave up smoking again this year and decided to cycle to aid my journey to full fitness again. I refuse to pay gym fees when you can do so much for free (less bike cost)

Get into work little earlier then normal, time to cool down and have breakfast. saves me £15 a week plus wear and tear on the motor.