Police Taking No Action - Advice Please

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
KTM690

Re: Police Taking No Action - Advice Please

Post by KTM690 »

Sussex police chief reported as blaming cyclists for accidents?!

http://www.thebadgeronline.co.uk/?p=3036#more-3036
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Though it is a report from 2 years ago, the ratio of motorised vehicles being at fault is 2-1 going by their stats (I find that hard to believe tbh). The Inspectors attitude in this article is pretty poor, he mentions that cyclists need to stick to the rules and will be dealt with robustly. When is it an offence not to cycle in a cycle lane (if you can get/stay in the blasted things in the first place)? Given that the stats show that the accidents are more often caused by the cars/vans/lorries etc then why wasn't he subjecting the crackdown on the group that was mostly to blame and caused by far the most KSIs?
I'd take a shot in the dark that vehicle drivers get away with breaking the rules relatively scot-free across the nation as a whole. Why is it that cyclists are seen as 2nd class citizens that must be hunted down & persecuted by comparison? :twisted: :twisted:
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

I wouldn't take any advice from a Police Inspector who thinks that failing to ride in a cycle lane is an offence.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

snibgo wrote:I wouldn't take any advice from a Police Inspector who thinks that failing to ride in a cycle lane is an offence.
+1 Even the Attorney General has been known to make the occasional mistake. :roll:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8709213.stm

I could have mentioned another, but I wasn't sure if the plural was Attorneys General or Attorney Generals :oops:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8481759.stm
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

thirdcrank wrote:
snibgo wrote:I wouldn't take any advice from a Police Inspector who thinks that failing to ride in a cycle lane is an offence.
+1 Even the Attorney General has been known to make the occasional mistake. :roll:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8709213.stm

I could have mentioned another, but I wasn't sure if the plural was Attorneys General or Attorney Generals :oops:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8481759.stm

Pillocks is surely the correct plural descriptive? :lol:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Just to get back for a moment to the nearside overtaking thing, I was involved in something a little earlier today which left me amazed.

We are in the Leeds Green Belt here (not as rural as it sounds) but we do have plenty of riding schools hereabouts as the countryside is being urbanised. This means lots of riders out on the roads, especially on Sundays. I was driving to do my care in the community / Meals on Wheels duties when I came up behind a long string of riders, mainly of the Angels on Horseback age group, supervised by adults. I moved over to the other side of the fairly narrow (single carriageway) road to pass them with plenty of room to spare. Checking my nearside mirror I realised that the driver of a Volvo was attempting to overtake me on the inside, between me and the equestrians. :shock:

Come to think of it, I don't remember anything in the HC that specifically advises people not to act like ... er .... idiots. :roll:
KTM690

Post by KTM690 »

thirdcrank wrote:Just to get back for a moment to the nearside overtaking thing, I was involved in something a little earlier today which left me amazed.

We are in the Leeds Green Belt here (not as rural as it sounds) but we do have plenty of riding schools hereabouts as the countryside is being urbanised. This means lots of riders out on the roads, especially on Sundays. I was driving to do my care in the community / Meals on Wheels duties when I came up behind a long string of riders, mainly of the Angels on Horseback age group, supervised by adults. I moved over to the other side of the fairly narrow (single carriageway) road to pass them with plenty of room to spare. Checking my nearside mirror I realised that the driver of a Volvo was attempting to overtake me on the inside, between me and the equestrians. :shock:

Come to think of it, I don't remember anything in the HC that specifically advises people not to act like ... er .... idiots. :roll:

Maybe you pulled so far over to the right he thought you were parking?.....or he could just be daft
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

KTM690 wrote:Maybe you pulled so far over to the right he thought you were parking?.....or he could just be daft

You have left yourself open to wonderfull interpretation here :wink:

Maybe you are so far to the right he thought you were daft :lol:

Can anybody else use the top quote to come up with soemthing else. Just to inject some humor into this. :D
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar