Got hit by a car

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
gaz545

Got hit by a car

Post by gaz545 »

16.12.10 on streatham high road
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqCwjC2VIXw

Clear to see what happens here, the car in front of the white van pulls away as the traffic has started to move again, the wvm lets someone through, for some reason i didn't anticipate it and it was too late to act as the driver didn't both to check for anything in the bus lane.
This is something i'd usually avoid, but all it needs is an itchy eye, something on your glasses or a pothole in front of you, for you to take your eye of whats ahead and concentrate on something else.

The driver was very shocked, and didn't speak much english. Police attended the scene and took details, one witness came forward and all our tales of the events matched. The police are aware of my video recording and hopefully they will ask for it. If not i'll push for them to look at it and review the case.

At present my back is hurting. Got an appointment to see my GP on monday. I put in a request for an ambulance when i rang for the police, but due to them having a big back log it was going to take nearly 2hours for one to get to me. I decided i didn't need it as i had no pain at the time and it was clear that i wasn't bleeding and all bones where in working condition.
The bike on the other hand, has a badly buckled front wheel. I'll have to put it into the LBS for a full review, could easily be some damage to the headset.
thirdcrank

Re: Got hit by a car

Post by thirdcrank »

I hope your back is OK. You haven't asked for advice but look at this anyway:

http://www.cyclistsdefencefund.org.uk/w ... en-a-crash
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

Hope that you and the bike are back together soon. Not much to say about the collision, the driver pulled into a lane without knowing whether it was clear. As you approached I actually had my eyes on the car inching out across the lane from the left as i was expecting that one to be the danger.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Hope you recover quickly,keep a watch on you back condition,dodge things backs :? .After watching the vid its pretty clear cut,the motorist seems entirely at fault.
I hope, for your sake, he's got insurance.
Get well soon,do keep us informed as to progress.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Hope you recover swiftly

I had a similar sort of near miss a couple of days ago. I was following a large (high) people mover type thing, which went to turn left off main road. I moved to his rear right to assert my position (for visibility). As he turned left, vehicle coming opposite went to turn right across my path. Fortunately speed and timing ment that it wasn't a proper near miss.

Lesson for me: that large and high vehicles make you less visible as a small 'vehicle'. The oncoming driver assumed that because he couldn't see evidence of a large vehicle, that none was there, despite me being to far right of the lane.

Again, having bright hi viz and bright B&M Cyo light didn't help...initially. The driver did stop quickly, once he saw 'evidence' of both! I might have been too close behind the people mover (it was going slowish) but give 'em an inch and they'll take...well, what ever they want :|
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Bad luck Gaz. Hope your back is Ok. Best wishes.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

oops
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
larfingravy

Post by larfingravy »

Hmmm, that approach smells of danger.

Hope you stay fit and well though with no long term injury.