How fast do you go down hills?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Archie2K

Re: How fast do you go down hills?

Post by Archie2K »

Ian Raleigh wrote:Slack Hill near Matlock Derbyshire, I recorded 74mph down that hill and that was in the 80's on my Panasonic Raleigh :wink:

Deliberately going there in four weeks time to try my hand at a bit of speed bombing. Aiming to finally clock over 50mph, as I had failed to do on Pork Hill a couple of weeks previous (a mere 48!)
Winnats and Snake, also en route, should be good for over 40 as well. I love the Snake descent. I could do it all day.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Rusty Spanner wrote:Personal best is 51mph, heading down the Graine Road towards Blackburn on my new (to me) 1996 Trek 1400 last year.

Managed 45 coming down the Horseshoe Pass on my MTB with off road tyres drafting a car, but scared myself fartless in the process :D

Fastest off road is 41 descending through the fields to Bolton Abbey, which was the single most exciting and fun thing I've ever done on a bike, motorised or not.

I'm 42 by the way and seem too be getting more stupid the older I get!

don't worry I'm a bit older than that and it gets better. Two years ago I followed Mick F down the A30 at nearly 40mph, wicked :lol: Looking forward to a repeat this year :D
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Given the speeds in recent years on TdF descents which have seen riders pretty much flat out at 62mph (per motorcycle speedo) one has to think that either the motorbikes speedo is well under recording (unlikely) or some people set-ups aren't quite accurate :wink: 8)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I came down Gunnislake Hill at 42mph again yesterday, and was being quizzed about it in the boozer last evening.

I ended up giving a short tutorial on Garmin Edge GPS and wheel magnets!
Mick F. Cornwall
Neil Fat Man On A Bike

Post by Neil Fat Man On A Bike »

On the road to Ullapool on a smooth steep decent with a following wind 56mph :shock:
Fat Lads get extra gravity assist !!!
John-D

Post by John-D »

Tonyf33 wrote:Given the speeds in recent years on TdF descents which have seen riders pretty much flat out at 62mph (per motorcycle speedo) one has to think that either the motorbikes speedo is well under recording (unlikely) or some people set-ups aren't quite accurate :wink: 8)

Unless, the TdF riders were not on such steep roads which seems fairly likely.
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

John-D wrote:Unless, the TdF riders were not on such steep roads which seems fairly likely.

There does seem to be a tendency for our roads to go straight up hills, where continental roads will snake up.
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

Malaconotus wrote:
John-D wrote:Unless, the TdF riders were not on such steep roads which seems fairly likely.

There does seem to be a tendency for our roads to go straight up hills, where continental roads will snake up.

Particularly in France - and for that we have to thank an 18th century edict from Louis XVI (not Napoleon, as is often thought) who decreed that no road should be too steep for a fully laden mule (about 8%, although this is exceeded a bit in the mountains).
PW

Post by PW »

Archie2K watch it if you try a wizz down Winnatts - there are cattle grids top and bottom and frequently loose gravel on that left hairpin on the 1 in 4 section. The road from Mam Nick into Edale might be more advisable - and it's longer! :twisted:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
kevincairns2008

Post by kevincairns2008 »

I enjoy seeing car drivers faces when you overtake them down fast decents,around the area of bala there are some of the best mountian roads in the uk,my friend must of been hitting around 60mph overtaking cars,he was in his 50s.
wyadvd

Post by wyadvd »

trying to break and maintain 30mph UP a hill that I ride to work every day. Its to a set of lights and I always srint up to it faster than the cars.

its towards the end of this ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/85697639
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

As above, I did 25mph up a hill that is normally a 14mph hill but the wind was pushing me along but I paid for it later in the ride :(
byegad

Post by byegad »

Tonyf33 wrote:Given the speeds in recent years on TdF descents which have seen riders pretty much flat out at 62mph (per motorcycle speedo) one has to think that either the motorbikes speedo is well under recording (unlikely) or some people set-ups aren't quite accurate :wink: 8)

Not so. I've seen over 110kph on a televised motorcycle speedo on the TdeF. I remember it because it was the same as our motorway limit and I commented to Mrs byegad to that effect at the time.

Also recumbents tend to get a shift on downhill too. I have seen 48mph recorded on both GPS and speedo on my QNT and spoken to several riders who have topped 50mph, a couple with over 60mphto their name and one who says she managed over 70mph off Shap with a trike fully loaded for camping and a goodly tail wind. I have no reason to disbelieve any of these claims and know I've had to brake for slower traffic on hills where I've still recorded high 40s and would have gone higher if the road had been clear.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Perhaps we're looking at this thing from the wrong end? :wink:

I've said I've done 52mph down Pork Hill off Dartmoor, and I've said I regularly come down Gunnislake Hill at over 40mph.

What speed do I go UP them?

About 4 or 5mph. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote:Perhaps we're looking at this thing from the wrong end? :wink:

I've said I've done 52mph down Pork Hill off Dartmoor, and I've said I regularly come down Gunnislake Hill at over 40mph.

What speed do I go UP them?

About 4 or 5mph. :oops:

You're just not trying then ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.