blinded by the lights

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
patpalloon

blinded by the lights

Postby patpalloon » 13 Feb 2011, 12:47am

One thing that really bugs me about cycling at night on country roads is that the majority of motorists don't bother to dip their headlights for a bike, even when you are well lit. Don't they think that we get dazzled too?
I feel sure that the genius that did this, didn't even feel a thud as he drove by.

AndyK

Re: blinded by the lights

Postby AndyK » 13 Feb 2011, 1:05am

Depeneds on your definition of "well lit". I used to experience that when I used bog-standard Cateye lights, and I think it's down to the driver thinking "What's that faint glimmer? I'd better keep the lights up so I can have a look". Since I got my ultra-bright lights, motorists generally dip their headlights. Maybe they think I'm a motorbike.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 13 Feb 2011, 8:48am

You need brighter lights - preferably one you aim at the driver.

Or the courage to weave across the road with your hand up...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 13 Feb 2011, 8:57am

As a newbee driver I remember driving home one night and seeing a strange light on the opp side of the road, it was a moment or two before i realised it was cyclist, by which time I was highly embarrassed to realise i had probably dazzled the poor cyclist, quite unintentionally.

A cap with a peak is useful as you can dip your head slightly to cut out the glare. Next option is to wiggle the handlebars around so you move around on your side of the road and hope they realise there is cyclist attached to the strange white light!
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

downfader

Postby downfader » 13 Feb 2011, 9:05am

Good quality lights really do help imo. And if the blighter still insists on fog lights, whack yours into full beam and pop a wheelie aiming the bars towards said driver*. :twisted:

I am ofcourse, joking, I've only done this the once :wink:

sirmy

Postby sirmy » 13 Feb 2011, 9:22am

In my experience a log of drivers don't dip their lights for other cars either. I often wonder how many of them don't kow how to cntrol their lights, I was once followed for about 50 miles along the A66 by a driver who had his lights on full the whole way! Add to this the rediculous aountt of lights some cars put out nowadays and I'm surprised there aren't more aciidents caused by dazzle, try seeing whats on the side of the orad as another car appraoche yoy, even with ipped lights

essexman

Postby essexman » 13 Feb 2011, 9:32am

yup get good lights..... You wont regret it. It will transform your nightime riding experience. A colleague has bought a chinese copy of the lumicycle style of light, ~£80. They seem fine. I'll ask him during the week.
I hate snow.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 13 Feb 2011, 10:04am

Being primarily in town now I don't know if it's helper but I have a couple of widely space retroreflectors. Even the copier driver with the brightest lights should see those
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

CyberKnight

Postby CyberKnight » 13 Feb 2011, 10:49am

I have one of the Chinese copies of the light i think you mean and i certainly get road users to dip their beams, i got mine cheaper that but took 3 weeks to come from here..

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mj-808-ha- ... -set-44459
Worked out at £53 i think but you need a adapter for uk plugs, works fine with the 2 pin shaver plugs you get .

John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

squeaker

Postby squeaker » 13 Feb 2011, 12:19pm

IME it's mostly other cyclists using MTB flood lights (AKA anything bright with a conical beam) than cause me most grief on my back road travels. Most oncoming cars will dip, especially when reminded by the 3W Tesco torch I use for such purposes, whereas overtaking cars frequently forget that some cyclists use rear view mirrors :evil:
"42"

downfader

Postby downfader » 13 Feb 2011, 12:26pm

CyberKnight wrote:I have one of the Chinese copies of the light i think you mean and i certainly get road users to dip their beams, i got mine cheaper that but took 3 weeks to come from here..

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mj-808-ha- ... -set-44459
Worked out at £53 i think but you need a adapter for uk plugs, works fine with the 2 pin shaver plugs you get .

I dont like the magicshines. They're too round a beam, there needs to be a vertical cut off for road use and these are designed for picking out low branches on trails and bridleways. :? The Hope Vision 1 is similar, but the edges of the beam are softened as there is a spot in the center, it seems to have less glare.

gilesjuk

Postby gilesjuk » 13 Feb 2011, 1:30pm

I bought some Magicshine lights (one with the intention of using it as a commuter bike light). They okay but I got sick of charging batteries, removing the lights and battery.

Ended up fitting a Supernova E3 Pro with matching rear light and a SON28 dynohub. It's great to be able to just jump on the bike and not worry about battery levels. There's also no need to switch it on and off.

As for dipped lights, I drive with dipped beam almost all the time at night. I find it more than enough to see if you are driving at a sensible speed.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 13 Feb 2011, 1:38pm

But who wants to limit themselves to a sensible speed?

gilesjuk

Postby gilesjuk » 13 Feb 2011, 1:47pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:But who wants to limit themselves to a sensible speed?

Someone who drives sensibly.

drossall

Postby drossall » 13 Feb 2011, 2:12pm

Wave your hand across your light so that it flashes. Most drivers will respond.

I've recently got a bike light that can be dipped and needs to be. So now it's about me remembering to dip mine...