blinded by the lights

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
squeaker

Re: blinded by the lights

Postby squeaker » 13 Feb 2011, 2:14pm

drossall wrote:I've recently got a bike light that can be dipped and needs to be. So now it's about me remembering to dip mine...

Commercial or home brew?
"42"

rower40

Postby rower40 » 13 Feb 2011, 2:19pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:You need brighter lights - preferably one you aim at the driver.

Or the courage to weave across the road with your hand up...

If the oncoming driver is a fair distance away, I take both hands off the bars, cross them in front of my face, and rely on the retroreflectives on my sleeves and gloves to do the talking for me.

The driver usually dips their lights then.
"Little Green Men Are Everywhere... ...But Mostly On Traffic Lights."

jayjay

Postby jayjay » 13 Feb 2011, 2:52pm

Some years of going to and fro on our unlit local roads has me agreeing with the point that brighter front lights get you "main beamed" less by oncoming vehicles. Following car drivers still seem to think I need them to illuminate the back of my head, for some reason.
Built f' comfort.

ferrit worrier

Postby ferrit worrier » 13 Feb 2011, 4:38pm

Back in 2008 while I was still a newby I was having a few days away this required an early morning start, like about 0400. I was struggling up this hill near Holmes Chaple which was covered by trees and not much moon light was getting through my front light was to all intents useless. In the disance I could see a blueish light, that's all, as it got closer I realised it was someone riding a bike, as we passed this voice out of the darkness said "mornin" I replied "morning" I could not see the bike or rider, just two lights one at the front and one at the back. I just managed to keep the white line in view with my front light.

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.

drossall

Postby drossall » 13 Feb 2011, 4:40pm

squeaker wrote:Commercial or home brew?

Oh commercial. It's just an Electron. There are brighter, but I went and stood in front of it and decided that dipping would be courteous.

It's a pain because you have to cycle through maximum, dip, flash, off and back to maximum, with your hand in the middle of the bars, going downhill on fixed. Could do with a dip switch by the brakes really...

Steve Kish

Postby Steve Kish » 13 Feb 2011, 7:52pm

My Hope Vision II mounted on my helmet and being pointed towards the driver's eyes usually gets an instant dipping. :P
Old enough to know better but too young to care.

Coffee

Postby Coffee » 14 Feb 2011, 12:55pm

Wearing clothes with scotchlite seems to work well with cars spotting you sooner if they have full beams on, I think in a car it takes a while to realise that's not a far off car in the distance, unless you do have something that looks like a motorcycle light.

I find mostly, if its full beams from behind, you just swivel your mirror back at them and point at your mirror. :)

Though there have been some that either didn't care or were really dopey, having a higher light setting helped them.
Rule 63

Cycle Lanes. These are marked by a white VAN (which may be broken) along the carriageway (see Rule 140). Keep within the lane when practicable, watch out for Anna Meares elbows.

Tonyf33

Postby Tonyf33 » 14 Feb 2011, 2:31pm

When faced with cars not dipping their lights you need to not look across at the lights, just look straight ahead and slightly down. The natural thing is to look at the light source, when I'm driving it is even more important as the glare through a wet windscreen is horrendous especially so with the masses of mis-aligned headlights out there.
For a solution to getting noted on unlit roads, I bought a 3Watt LED front with flasher mode for £5.99 delivered, it's almost identical in design & output to the RSP RX1.0 I already have. In flasher mode this can be seen from a very long way away & should define that you are a cyclist. When lit normally this & the RX together are enough for me to traverse completely unlit roads up to 20mph comfortably.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0675659890

eddie watson

Postby eddie watson » 14 Feb 2011, 3:14pm

if your light has a flash mode it's especially useful - just tap the button and the light starts flashing - very useful for getting a driver's attention - although i only cycle in built up areas at night so i don't know how well it will work on unlit roads.

Mind you, i used to commute by bike in China where drivers tend to either use full-beam or no lights at all - best way to get by is to learn a few choice Chinese phrases to shout at drivers!

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 14 Feb 2011, 5:32pm

Tonyf33 wrote:When faced with cars not dipping their lights you need to not look across at the lights, just look straight ahead and slightly down. The natural thing is to look at the light source, when I'm driving it is even more important as the glare through a wet windscreen is horrendous especially so with the masses of mis-aligned headlights out there.
For a solution to getting noted on unlit roads, I bought a 3Watt LED front with flasher mode for £5.99 delivered, it's almost identical in design & output to the RSP RX1.0 I already have. In flasher mode this can be seen from a very long way away & should define that you are a cyclist. When lit normally this & the RX together are enough for me to traverse completely unlit roads up to 20mph comfortably.

Almost impossible to do - and your night vision is still compromised
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Neil from Fife

Postby Neil from Fife » 14 Feb 2011, 9:30pm

I bought a lumicycle light and it is brilliant for blocking out full beam lights. However I find that a few drivers have actually complained about my lights and I have to dip them (role reversal). The flashing mode is extremely bright , but it is the mode I like to use.

Tonyf33

Postby Tonyf33 » 15 Feb 2011, 12:59am

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Tonyf33 wrote:When faced with cars not dipping their lights you need to not look across at the lights, just look straight ahead and slightly down. The natural thing is to look at the light source, when I'm driving it is even more important as the glare through a wet windscreen is horrendous especially so with the masses of mis-aligned headlights out there.

No it isn't :? , have you tried...regularly? My grandad told me about this when I first started driving, he driven everything from a fruit n veg lorry as a 12 yr old to a hearse/taxi in his latter driving days and big wagons in between. I've practised it and yes it isn't easy at first but almost impossible it is not.
Now when a car comes & I can see it has full beam on I can prepare myself to not 'look' into the lights at all, I also wear night glasses that deflect glare but mean I can still see the illumination given off by my own lights. When you get a few cars one after another it does affect your night vision somewhat but after just one it isn't an issue at all tbh.

AlanD

Postby AlanD » 15 Feb 2011, 1:12pm

Quite a few years ago I was cycle commuting the 15 miles to a job in Cirencester and my route took me along some very pretty countryside roads. During the after-dark evenings I had a few motorists that came at me with headlights on full beam and no ammount of arm waving on my part made the slightest bit of difference. Then one evening I'd had enough. having already put the brightest halogen bulb in that I could find, I angled my bike light upwards to the approaching driver and switched on my hand held torch, also aimed at the driver. Then I stopped in the middle of this road and brought this car driver to a stop where I glared at him across his bonnet and with as much composure as I could muster, pointed at him and loudly shouted at him, "Dip your Bl**** lights!" Before cycling off. Doubt if I would risk that again.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 15 Feb 2011, 1:34pm

Tonyf33 wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:

No it isn't :? , have you tried...regularly? My grandad told me about this when I first started driving, he driven everything from a fruit n veg lorry as a 12 yr old to a hearse/taxi in his latter driving days and big wagons in between. I've practised it and yes it isn't easy at first but almost impossible it is not.
Now when a car comes & I can see it has full beam on I can prepare myself to not 'look' into the lights at all, I also wear night glasses that deflect glare but mean I can still see the illumination given off by my own lights. When you get a few cars one after another it does affect your night vision somewhat but after just one it isn't an issue at all tbh.

I've tried - for a number of years both as a cyclist and a motorist.
The human eye is meant to flick to things of interest to get a good sight of it (at least once). You are overcoming that design, well done. It is *almost* impossible - particularly when a vehicle comes flying over a hill/round a corner with full beams.

My night vision get stuffed even by oblique car lights - that light is still hitting my retina and getting detected. I like night vision, I can see quite well on country roads by starlight (moonlight is fabulously bright) headlights are a menace in general. It'll be nice when all cars have IR cameras and heads up displays (see the recent S class for the cameras, not HUD yet) - headlights can then be weak IR devices, and retro reflectors will still do a good job, but they'll not be all that's seen.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

De Sisti

Postby De Sisti » 15 Feb 2011, 7:35pm

Neil from Fife wrote: However I find that a few drivers have actually complained about my lights and I have to dip them (role reversal).

Neil, do you mean that car drivers have actually stopped your forward progress (preventing you from riding) and complained about your lights? Or do you mean they've mentioned it in other circumstances?