Bike Racks

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
benm

Bike Racks

Post by benm »

Does anyone know what design of bike rack is 'The Best'?

Work are considering tidying up the piles of bikes (well one pile) and I was wondering if there were any designs to be avoided.

B.
Greg

Post by Greg »

In our cellar, we've got hooks on the walls, which we use to hang bikes against the walls by their front wheels.

It seems to work well.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

benm

I think a lot depends on your accommodation.

In my garage I have screwed hooks, of the type covered in PVC, in pairs along the whole of the ceiling. The beams are just the right distance apart, one pair per beam, hooks spaced roughly 3'6" = bike wheelbase, best with bikes hung head to tail.

When lifting up, present the back wheel to the hooks first or you struggle impossibly with the front.

Works a treat, hooks £1-50 or so per pair from supermarkets, ironmongers etc.
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

If you're thinking of a bike shed for commuters then I'd suggest looking at the Broxap catalogue (www.broxap.com if memory serves). Odone is to be avoided..
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

benm

Sorry, I did not read your original post carefully :oops:

Manufacturers are keen to push stands of the 'butterfly wing' type which are supposed to support the bike by holding a wheel. They are attractive to people who are required by planning conditions to provide a target amount of cycle parking because they are relatively cheap and you can cram a lot into a small space.

Research by the Transport Research Laboratory (TRL) and summarised in TAL 7/97 'Supply and demand for cycle parking' revealed (surprise surprise) that cyclists will not use them and chain their bikes to any available railings etc. This TAL has quite a lot of useful info but is more aimed at parking than commuter storage.

The Sheffield stand (often described as an inverted steel 'u' I don't know why they don't say steel 'n') is the simplest and best. Install far enough apart to allow bikes to be locked to both sides.

I would say that the best thing is a secure building, (as the third little pig found, bricks stand up to a lot more huffing and puffing from the baddies) with Sheffield stands inside it. Strong rings mounted on the walls will add storing places for the people who prefer to prop a bike up against a wall.

At one point, Leeds City Council had just this arrangement for cyclists at the Civic Hall. It was so popular and worked so well it was pulled down and replaced with lockers, which weren't and didn't. (I suppose A did not really lead to B, but the building was demolished.)

Looking ahead, if your employer does provide something decent, the biggest problem will come from people, including cyclists, who use the store as an extension to their own garage. A cyclist who is a regular user needs to keep a close eye on stuff, especially bikes which never seem to be moved.
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

my favourites are the sheds with curved polycarbonate shelters over Sheffield stands.

The real surprise is how cheap they are. You'll be pleasantly surprised.
Si

Post by Si »

A word of caution regarding Sheffields: get the ones that are set in concrete, not the ones where a number of the inverted 'U's are welded to two parralell bars that are bolted to the ground. They had the latter at the university and one day a flat bed van drove up, blokes in hivis vests jumped out, ground the bolts and loaded the racks, with bikes still locked on, onto the truck and drove off never to be seen again!
Zanda

Post by Zanda »

I second TC's criticism of the 'butterfly wing' (to which you can directly lock only the front wheel) and I agree with Si that normal sheffield stands beat 'toast racks'.

People spend time thinking about the hardware and neglect the other aspects of bike parking planning: spacing between the racks, location, lighting and logistics for entry to the area.
Observe common mistakes and decide not to make them in your design.

Spacing.
Often sheffield stand are placed too close to each other to comfortably allow a bike to be locked each side of each stand and then a person to move through. I estimate this requires 1 metre between stands (So there's another fault with toast racks.) This is discussed here: http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t ... ht=parking

Logistics.
My previous workplace had a padlocked gate for entry to the bike parking area. Parking space consisted of the railings on an open staircase to the cellar space and the cellar space itself. So you had to go to reception for the key, unlock the gate, get your bike down the steps, lock your bike, come back up, padlock the gate after yourself and remember to return the key to reception. I sometimes chose the public sheffield stands 300 yards away.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Here is some info on cycle parking.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/library2/cbd/cbd-26.asp
benm

Post by benm »

Thanks for all your replies... I will pass on the info.

I doubt we would get covered Sheffield stands because of the visual impact - the only place we can site them is in front of our building.

I will attempt to discourage the butterfly type stands, because I wouldn't trust my wheels to them.

B.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

benm

I am not sure what sort of setting you want these to blend in with but there are, for example "antique" Sheffield stands which consist of a pair of pseudo victorian bollards, with a tube across. I can find some pics if it would help. It must be possible to construct or source something to fit any setting by getting toning uprights with a tube between.

If anybody is set on installing butterflies, or worse still, concrete slots, the official government research based advice (which any cyclist could have told them for free) is that cyclists will use 'informal' parking, such as railings or even the bumper of the MD's Merc rather than butterflies.
Zanda

Post by Zanda »

benm wrote:I will attempt to discourage the butterfly type stands, because I wouldn't trust my wheels to them.

This thread is the first time I had heard them described as 'butterfly stands'. I went with this rather elegant name to conform with previous posts on the thread for the sake of clarity, despite having always called them 'wheel benders'.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Zanda

Butterfly seems to be the name used in all the official bumph. (If it was irony I am sorry - although I expect others to know when I am attempting humour, I am often too thick to be able to spot it myself. :oops: Incidentallly, I am developing a childish delight in these silly faces. :roll: )