Slow Riders on new, clean, Expensive Bikes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
meic

Slow Riders on new, clean, Expensive Bikes

Postby meic » 24 May 2011, 2:51pm

After doing a lot of miles on ancient bikes (which I still happily ride) I have bought an expensive bike which will not rust and will hopefully make my life a bit easier.

However it appears that many people are rather scornful about slow riders (like me) who NEED all the help they can get from a good bike having expensive bikes and think that only fast riders (who could ride anything) really deserve the good bikes.
Am I honour bound to carry a couple of extra Kilograms at my riding speed?
Or should I just cover the frame in insulation tape and get it dirty and tatty?
Is it more acceptable if I dont clean my new bike, a bit of dirt would make it look like I had been riding it wouldnt it?

Or do I have to start riding fast when I am on the new bike instead of the rusty thirty year old one?

I dont actually care too much, I ride as fast as I can anyway and it doesnt matter to me if people wave as they pass or not, though I would much rather they rode alongside and chatted a while.

Do I suddenly undergo a massive transformation when I buy a new bike and do I also change every time I set off on a different bike?
Yma o Hyd

[XAP]Bob

Re: Slow Riders on new, clean, Expensive Bikes

Postby [XAP]Bob » 24 May 2011, 3:11pm

Clearly only Lance Armstrong is deserving of a new bike...

Or maybe you should just ride what you have in the manner you feel appropriate...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 24 May 2011, 4:12pm

For me it's been a bit like the seven ages of man, except on a bike. I'm pretty much at seven: sans speed, sans distance, .... :(

Enjoy what you have, while you have it. (If you start worrying about what others think, you end up spending silly money on expensive togs :oops: :oops: :oops: As I used to. :oops: )

pliptrot

Postby pliptrot » 24 May 2011, 4:38pm

The irony is that the idea that a bike may be "too good" for you applies to absolutely everyone who has to pay for their own kit. I wonder who it is who pays a month's salary for a bike? If my legs matched such a bike, I'd not only get it for free but I'd be paid to ride it, in a manner sure to gain approval from those who care. However, as an ordinary mortal I know only opprobrium, and the envy I feel when I see glossy ads for bikes that really, really will change my life.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 24 May 2011, 4:55pm

pliptrot wrote:The irony is that the idea that a bike may be "too good" for you applies to absolutely everyone who has to pay for their own kit. I wonder who it is who pays a month's salary for a bike? If my legs matched such a bike, I'd not only get it for free but I'd be paid to ride it, in a manner sure to gain approval from those who care. However, as an ordinary mortal I know only opprobrium, and the envy I feel when I see glossy ads for bikes that really, really will change my life.

My main cycle exceeds my monthly THP (including all the kit on it).
But I only got it as a result of insurance and various birthday/Christmas gifts - the trike it replaced was ~£500 second hand.

I've gradually acquired things like GPS, tools, lights. I had things like suspension and mudguards as gifts from various people combined.

Hopefully later this year I will get myself a SON trike hub dynamo , which will put the cost up even more...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

meic

Postby meic » 24 May 2011, 5:17pm

My bike was much more than a "month's salary" but that says more about my wealth than my bike.
Pretty sure that my legs dont match the bike but that is the point, if my legs were that good I wouldnt need the bike.

I do still have the old Raleigh for utility work which needs stronger legs but is more suitable to my status :!:
Yma o Hyd

Michael R

Postby Michael R » 24 May 2011, 6:59pm

It is not advisable to laugh too much at other cyclists.

I saw a real fatty on a bike going slowly and realised I should not laugh but take my hat off to him

Again I wanted to laugh when I saw two 60 year olds on electric bikes , but one had a leg missing and the other was getting over a stroke.

I was less impressed by a 40 year old on an electric bike so he could do easy hills around Scorton.

Elizabethsdad

Postby Elizabethsdad » 24 May 2011, 7:01pm

I am faster that some slower than others - I am happy with the speed I go at and with the bike that I ride and assume it is pretty much the same for everyone else. I guess if I saw someone on a shiney new bike going slowly I might think they were a new or returning cyclist.

Elizabethsdad

Postby Elizabethsdad » 24 May 2011, 7:05pm

Michael R wrote:I was less impressed by a 40 year old on an electric bike so he could do easy hills around Scorton.

I am 44 and thinking about getting electric assist for my commuter bike just so that I can shorten the journey time a little bit and arrive a little less sweaty

Tonyf33

Postby Tonyf33 » 24 May 2011, 7:18pm

I agree with buying a bike to give you all the help you can get. I look back half my lifetime (only 21 years admittedly :lol: ) and know that I'll never be able to ride 70 miles a day 10 days consecutively in temperatures 90F+ with ZERO training like I did way back then AND on a £200 Raleigh Sports bike with a not very low gear of 42"! :shock:
Several stone later I'll look for kit as high a quality my pocket can afford to give me any measly advantage over and above something in the 'stock' newbie range.

I justify spending the money knowing that if I buy someone elses cast-off near new or get NOS components that works out far cheaper than retail & if I look after it I can sell it on further down the line when the next level of uber efficient stuff comes out & the depreciation isn't all that as it'll be classed as 'vintage' :roll:
Enjoyment factor & a certain amount of pride means I'll happily keep the bikes clean & shiny and at the end of the day it's whatever makes us happy whilst cycling that is the important thing, what anybody else 'thinks' is irrelevant to me in any case.
Now to get the Ti/Dura Ace bike out the stable & swan around the town centre cafe's 8) :wink:
Last edited by Tonyf33 on 24 May 2011, 7:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tonyf33

Postby Tonyf33 » 24 May 2011, 7:19pm

WaterLab Rat wrote:
Michael R wrote:I was less impressed by a 40 year old on an electric bike so he could do easy hills around Scorton.

I am 44 and thinking about getting electric assist for my commuter bike just so that I can shorten the journey time a little bit and arrive a little less sweaty

Lazy bugger, get up 10 minutes earlier :lol: 8) :wink:

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » 24 May 2011, 8:52pm

Meic
I understand your view, but from your previous threads and replies I would guess your skin is thick enough to not have to worry too much about what others think. I too have encountered the odd rider who has expressed their negative opinion re my bike/riding style. I don't race but I do sometimes ride a titanium/carbon frame piece of Italian confectionery. It makes me feel good, I love the way it handles and goes. I was passed by a guy on a mtb at the w/end, I was in company with a friend on a posh Stork bike. No doubt the chap on the mtb thought our bikes were wasted on us. In truth we were taking it steady on a long ride. (for the record my friend previously finished PBP in a sub 65 hour time)
You should ride whatever you enjoy riding at whatever pace suits you and S*d em. But I suspect you already do that.
I admit I do sometimes go for it when I,m on my Dutch sit up n beg and I see a flash bike ahead, winds them up a treat :lol:

Michael R

Postby Michael R » 24 May 2011, 9:01pm

WaterLab Rat wrote:

I can see the pont of that, especially if it is hilly, but not for leisure cycling unless there is a health or age issue. If my wife can take up cycling again it will be electric

7_lives_left

Postby 7_lives_left » 24 May 2011, 9:53pm

It's only a bicycle. You push on the pedals here and the wheels turn around over there. As a result you get from A to B. Discussions about what your vehicle says about you to the world or what it does to enhance your status should be left to the idiots at work who worry about whether they drive the right sort of motorcar.

TwoPlusTen

Postby TwoPlusTen » 24 May 2011, 10:07pm

The question is... what's slow and what's fast?

I must admit, I tend to get overtaken more than I overtake but then some of that is due to the fact that my front-sus, disc-brake MTB with MTB tyres is rather heavier (and less aerodynamic) than your average road bike. Plus I'm carrying a few (currently 13 but coming down :) ) extra kg, so I'm not sure how much the weight of the bike is relevant...