Waterproof jacket

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
sharpy

Waterproof jacket

Post by sharpy »

My good but old Gill jacket is nearing the time when it will need to be replaced. Has anyone suggestions as to a good waterproof, highly visible jacket with good ventilation (if required). I cycle to work most days and stick in a good 40 miles at the weekend.
Best Wishes
Paul
daveg

Post by daveg »

I've been using an Altura Nevis for the past 18 months almost on a daily basis. It's done evrything it said on the tin and at a reasonable cost too.
pjggy

Post by pjggy »

I've got an Altura Nevis and I have to say I dont rate it. You get what you pay for and I dont find it breathable enough, and its not particularly waterproof. Going to try one of the Paramo jackets next time, better for those of us who sweat like the proverbial.
benm

Post by benm »

I am fairly sure my jacket is a Nevis - It is without doubt very visible.

I have to say that the breathability is doubtful - even with the vents open it can get quite sticky inside; compared to my previous mac it is very breathable indeed :)

B.
johhnyP

Post by johhnyP »

I find that the Nevis is not breathable enough for me, although the waterproof aspect is adequate. By the time I get to the end of my commute, the inside is pretty damp (I hang it inside out to dry better).

I cycle from my office to a station, sit on the train for 20 minutes and then jump on another bike to get home. I find that the wrists are snug for cycling, but on the train I would really like to be able to loosen them (with zips preferably) to let some air get in there.

Also, a little external breast pocket for handkerchief and train ticket would make life easier for me.

Visibility is good. If you get oil from your chain on the sleeves it doesn't come out, so I think that this jacket will start to look pretty grubby after a while.
Sares

Post by Sares »

I have an Altura Night Vision one which I find quite good for commuting in the dark, although people still don't give you that much space. It's waterproof but could be more breathable, and there is a front pocket but it isn't waterproof through the zipper.
ransos

Post by ransos »

I use an Altura windproof jacket unless it is realling throwing it down - I find it keeps out light showers and is much less prone to getting sweaty than my Goretex.
stof

Post by stof »

I've got one of the paramo jackets, the bike specific one (the name eludes me but it has pit-zips and a vent across the back). It is the second Paramo I've had and I only replaced the first one when I lost it... :cry:

They're really breathable and don't get clammy like some jackets can so I regularly use it for commuting. Dirt comes out pretty well too, though you have to use nikwax for cleaning. The reflective piping is pretty good and goes down the arms, which I think is pretty important for winter commuting.

The downside is that they're pretty heavy and, like most waterproofs, too hot for most of the year unless it's actually raining. Despite this I think their performance is incredible compared to other jackets I've had (though I have no experience of the newer Goretex products, so they might be just as good).
old-n-stressed

Post by old-n-stressed »

I would suggest getting a cycling specific jacket for keeping you dry and warm and then buying a long sleeved fluorescent jacket to go over the top of that.

That way, if someone does knock you off, you've taken all reasonable steps to be visible by wearing something which is CE rated for road use (which i'm sure that not all cycle jackets are...)
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

I've seen of them Berghaus bike jackets called Nickel Aquafoil for £60. Look ok. Good spec.
VISCOUNT

Post by VISCOUNT »

If your Gill jacket has been good and you want something with decent ventilation, how about a Gill Ventilator jacket.

I've got a fluoro yellow one. It's fine, but I do get a bit sweaty in it sometimes. I guess it's fairly similar to other jackets really. I think Wiggle have got them discounted at the moment.
sharpy

Post by sharpy »

Many thanks for your suggestions and advice folks.
Best Wishes
Paul