Panniers for fold up bikes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Charlie_Charlie_81

Panniers for fold up bikes

Post by Charlie_Charlie_81 »

Hello I have got a Dahon fold up bike which I use to get to and from work, I currently use a rucksack to cart all my things around which gets to hot in this warm weather.I was just wondering if anyone could recomend a set of panniers or rack bag for such a bike/I have a set of panniers which I use for my touring bike but they are too big for a fold up, my heals keep catching them as I pedal.

Thanks for your time

Charlie
Cunobelin

Re: Panniers for fold up bikes

Post by Cunobelin »

Charlie_Charlie_81 wrote:Hello I have got a Dahon fold up bike which I use to get to and from work, I currently use a rucksack to cart all my things around which gets to hot in this warm weather.I was just wondering if anyone could recomend a set of panniers or rack bag for such a bike/I have a set of panniers which I use for my touring bike but they are too big for a fold up, my heals keep catching them as I pedal.

Thanks for your time

Charlie

That will be the problem with most panniers. Folders with few exceptions will take panniers and not clip the heels.
Si

Post by Si »

Try a large saddle bag line the carradice camper/nelson. Does the job on my Birdy and doesn't get in the way of the fold.
rootes

Post by rootes »

is your dahon one of the ones with the headtube luggage option?

is so use that.

other wise:

rear Rack and use use small panniers (front ones are ideal)

you can get a high rack for little wheels that keeps the pannier up out of the way

or use a Carradice SQR Tour of similar
Charlie_Charlie_81

Post by Charlie_Charlie_81 »

Thanks for your replies will give the higher rack ago.
w33v1l

Post by w33v1l »

When I was looking for a rack for my 20" wheeled Dahon Helios SL, my LBS was particularly unhelpful.

I turned to the Net and I found a scale diagram of the Old Man Mountain "Red Rock", made a cardboard cutout and taped it to my bike to check if would provide enough clearance between my heels and my Ortleib Rear Rollers. It didn't impede the bike's folding and provided several years of trusty service, until I left the bike on the Stansted Express one Friday night :cry:

Hope that might provide some useful hints. I did have a quick Google, but couldn't find the source of the diagram, but you might have better luck than me.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

I use an Agu Yamaska 475 Rack Bag on my Vitesse D5 (which has a standard rack). Not massive, and uses velcro tabs rather than any 'click-fix', but works for me :D
"42"
softpedal

Post by softpedal »

I use a Altura rack bag on a Dahon, it has side pockets which unzip and clip down to make small side panniers. Been on first camping trip with and it works fine. because the rack sits low it leaves room to strap tent etc. on top of the bag.
Your never to old to become younger