Shorts and saddle advice please.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Steve Kish

Re: Shorts and saddle advice please.

Postby Steve Kish » 5 Jul 2011, 7:57pm

Sudocreme is rubbish for in-use

I actually find this the best of the lot. It sticks skin to chamois better than any other stuff and it's this sticking that prevents the two surfaces from chafing together.

Since using this with my Decathlon red-lined shorts, I'm f-a-r more cumfy than with any other bum-butter that I've used. :mrgreen:
Old enough to know better but too young to care.

wearwell

Postby wearwell » 5 Jul 2011, 8:33pm

Change is as good as a rest.
I've found that if it hurts then something needs changing - for better or worse. Going from good cycling chamois back to normal underpants, or from good saddle to cheapo plastic, might just relief the pain, as the pressure points are changed. Then after a while you change back again and keep alternating as necessary. You have to change (clothes or saddle) to something very different to get the benefit.
After my Lejog on a Brooks Professional my bum really hurt but was immediately OK when I went back to a Rolls San Marco, so I've been swapping things around ever since, whenever I feel the need.
In fact if I ever do a such long ride again I'll take both saddles.

Dr.Doo

Postby Dr.Doo » 5 Jul 2011, 10:33pm

Trigger wrote:I did 115 miles on Fri night/sat morning with just a pair of DHB padded undershorts (about £15 Wiggle) under my Ronhill cycling legging thingies.

They may not be as padded as some of the mega expensive stuff but I don't seem to have any need for anything better, in fact now I've had them a while (they were only a trial) I might order a couple more pairs :D

And it's definitely horses for course RE saddles, the charge spoon is very highly rated and yet I bloody hated it, it felt like it was trying to split me in half!

Cheers Trigger, I'll have a look at the DHB shorts on Wiggle when I have a spare £15 or so. I just dropped lucky on ebay and managed to 'bag' a pair of brand new Orca Tri padded shorts for under a fiver including postage. :D

rootes wrote:yep is not just about padding - some of my most comfortable shorts are the thinnest - much more about the shape interface of saddle and bum.

for me it is best to find out how you fit on the saddle with little or no padding and go from there - but only if you are saddle fit to start with

The problem with the saddle I'm using is not about me being saddle un-fit, I think it's because one side of the cut-out has collapsed therefore making it uneven. I also believe that the saddle is too wide for my skinny ass. :mrgreen:

Flinders wrote:It's certainly true that practice hardens the posterior.
I have a women's saddle with a long open central channel for ventilation, but I know they don't suit everyone. For me, it was a huge improvement on my thinly padded old saddle, which was as hot as hell itself after about 10 miles. I guess not everyone runs as hot- I have the same problem with hands, gloves rot on me. If you get a hot rear such a saddle might help, and I think it was about £40.
My cheapest shorts (just simple padded ones- + antibacterial) are fine for all but my longest rides, and the more I'm doing, the more I can do in them without resorting to the gel ones. But I do wash them (and me) immediately I'm back home after a ride.
E45 cream also helps at times.

I'm not sure if the open central channel is for me. It would have to be awful lot narrower than the one I'm riding in which all my more errrm delicate bits tend to get squished. :shock:

snibgo wrote:An instructive article on "Female Anatomy and Saddle Discomfort": http://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2011/04/ ... ddles.html

Thanks so much for the link. The whole blog is really interesting.

Steve Kish wrote:

I actually find this the best of the lot. It sticks skin to chamois better than any other stuff and it's this sticking that prevents the two surfaces from chafing together.

Since using this with my Decathlon red-lined shorts, I'm f-a-r more cumfy than with any other bum-butter that I've used. :mrgreen:

Sudocreme....check! *adds to the shopping list*

wearwell wrote:Change is as good as a rest.
I've found that if it hurts then something needs changing - for better or worse. Going from good cycling chamois back to normal underpants, or from good saddle to cheapo plastic, might just relief the pain, as the pressure points are changed. Then after a while you change back again and keep alternating as necessary. You have to change (clothes or saddle) to something very different to get the benefit.
After my Lejog on a Brooks Professional my bum really hurt but was immediately OK when I went back to a Rolls San Marco, so I've been swapping things around ever since, whenever I feel the need.
In fact if I ever do a such long ride again I'll take both saddles.

Good advice. I do tend to chop and change things around. I don't always use padded shorts but as yet I've not been able to give different saddles a a go.

Cheers everyone for your input. I'm glad I asked and am finding it really interesting 'hearing' what you've all got to say about the shorts/saddle issue.

rootes

Postby rootes » 7 Jul 2011, 10:47pm

Steve Kish wrote:

If you are using sudocreme to stick your shorts to your bum you might as well use glue! :lol:

Dr.Doo

Postby Dr.Doo » 7 Jul 2011, 11:32pm

rootes wrote:
Steve Kish wrote:

If you are using sudocreme to stick your shorts to your bum you might as well use glue! :lol:

Hey rootes, what do you recommend instead of sudocreme? :)

Trigger

Postby Trigger » 10 Jul 2011, 9:55pm

Dr.Doo wrote:

Hey rootes, what do you recommend instead of sudocreme? :)

Without wanting to speak for him- Sudocream is traditionally for nappy rash and is good to sooth the after effects of being in the saddle for a long time, I find it absolutely excellent at this. But I wouldn't use it as a "lube". Chamois cream is what I use for this and again helps massively, I find about 100 miles is my limit before needing to re-apply.

Although I haven't looked into it in any great detail, chamois cream is allegedly very similar to plain old E45 cream.

This is the stuff I use.

Dr.Doo

Postby Dr.Doo » 11 Jul 2011, 12:18am

Cheers Trigger. I may just try the E45 route seeing as I have industrial quantities of it here. I was reading about various chamois creams earlier and a review of Udderly Smooth
http://coachlevi.com/product-reviews/udderly-smooth-udder-chamois-cream-test-review/

james01

Postby james01 » 11 Jul 2011, 9:29am

What works for me:
Take time fine-tuning saddle tilt - this can make all the difference.
Use drop handlebars or at least a non-upright riding position. This puts more weight on your arms and therefore less on your posterior .
I use well-worn Brooks saddles and ordinary shorts or trousers without padded inserts. I must be lucky, I can cycle all day with little discomfort.

ersakus

Postby ersakus » 11 Jul 2011, 12:03pm

I use Brooks B17 and B68 saddles on 2 different bikes. No need for special padded cycling shorts. Actually the padding in the shorts give me saddle sores on a long tour. I gave up using it. I just use unpadded sports shorts or eVent over-trousers and never have saddle sores even after a 100mile ride.

AlanD

Postby AlanD » 11 Jul 2011, 1:08pm

I find a generous smear of Vaseline round the undercarriage to be most satisfactory.

Dr.Doo

Postby Dr.Doo » 11 Jul 2011, 1:17pm

james01 wrote:What works for me:
Take time fine-tuning saddle tilt - this can make all the difference.
Use drop handlebars or at least a non-upright riding position. This puts more weight on your arms and therefore less on your posterior .
I use well-worn Brooks saddles and ordinary shorts or trousers without padded inserts. I must be lucky, I can cycle all day with little discomfort.

ersakus wrote:I use Brooks B17 and B68 saddles on 2 different bikes. No need for special padded cycling shorts. Actually the padding in the shorts give me saddle sores on a long tour. I gave up using it. I just use unpadded sports shorts or eVent over-trousers and never have saddle sores even after a 100mile ride.

Ta ever so much for your replies guys. In my first post of the thread I say I'm a student and therefore have a limited budget...If I could afford a Brooks saddle there would already be one on my bike. Either of you like to buy me a B17? :mrgreen:

I'm mucking about a bit with my saddle james01, can't seem to make it tilt either up or down. However I have lowered my handlebars to give me a less upright riding position which seems to be helping. I have all sorts of physical problems that mean drops aren't really a possibility anymore sadly.

Alan D wrote:I find a generous smear of Vaseline round the undercarriage to be most satisfactory.

Oo'er...I'm not putting any petroleum based product near my most delicate bits. I'm glad it works for you though :)

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 11 Jul 2011, 5:36pm

Dr.Doo wrote:...can't seem to make it tilt either up or down...

Have a look at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html#seatpost and if you have something different than one of these on your bike, someone on here is bound to know how to adjust it :D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Dr.Doo

Postby Dr.Doo » 12 Jul 2011, 11:49am

Cheers for the linky Vorpal. I seem to have found the tilty adjustment yesterday when fitting my new saddle.

The new saddle. Well, judgement needs to be reserved. It's a trifle hard and narrow but my sit bones actually sit on it! I tried it out for a short blast up to Starr Gate last night and it was hard but I wasn't sore last night or today so all is good. I'm off out for a longer ride today to try it out properly. I'll be wearing cycle shorts today though, yesterday I was au naturel.

Dizzie

Postby Dizzie » 14 Jul 2011, 9:24pm

Hi.
Not posted before but as a relatively new cyclist (18 months) but putting in the distance, currently 150 miles a week, I think saddle, padding and anti chaff creams are a must. I now sport the Selle SMP TRK saddle on both my race bike and turbo bike, it can be purchased quite cheaply, under £30 from Chain Reaction/Evans/Cyclestore etc. I have also just bought a pair of Northwave Crystal full length tights for £22 and they are good. Not as good as Giordana Donna Silverline, the padding in which are astounding, 100 mile ride last month and wasn't wincing and back on the bike the next day. Cream does help, the best I find is Butt-er (sorry can't remember spelling) in a Blue sachet/tube, usually listed under Assos stuff on Ebay.
Wouldn't it be great if one could try a saddle on a run before buying, I've ended up with a motly crew of saddles that were too painful to break in.
Di.

LollyKat

Postby LollyKat » 15 Jul 2011, 2:43pm

Dr.Doo wrote:I'll be wearing cycle shorts today though, yesterday I was au naturel.

:shock: :shock: