Another footballer escapes driving ban

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
LollyKat

Re: Another footballer escapes driving ban

Postby LollyKat » 15 Jul 2011, 1:13pm

I definitely like that one!

gilesjuk

Postby gilesjuk » 15 Jul 2011, 5:55pm

james01 wrote:Fines are almost an irrelevance, even for less affluent people. A driving ban with no allowance for mitigating circumstances would be much more effective.

If it's 10% of your income then it's not. This is the problem with the fines, they hurt the poor more.

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 15 Jul 2011, 5:58pm

gilesjuk wrote:
james01 wrote:Fines are almost an irrelevance, even for less affluent people. A driving ban with no allowance for mitigating circumstances would be much more effective.

If it's 10% of your income then it's not. This is the problem with the fines, they hurt the poor more.

The best way to hurt anyone, is to take their time.
Almost everyone would sooner pay a fine than do community service - and if you're wealthy then that's even more true!

Steve Kish

Postby Steve Kish » 15 Jul 2011, 6:49pm

Let's show some sympathy for him. After all, £750 is probably nearly half a days money. :(
Old enough to know better but too young to care.

gilesjuk

Postby gilesjuk » 15 Jul 2011, 8:17pm

kwackers wrote:The best way to hurt anyone, is to take their time.
Almost everyone would sooner pay a fine than do community service - and if you're wealthy then that's even more true!

True. Especially if the time is spent realising why there are speed limits.

Malaconotus

Postby Malaconotus » 16 Jul 2011, 12:06am

Steve Kish wrote:Let's show some sympathy for him. After all, £750 is probably nearly half a days money. :(

Average premiership salary is more like £3,500 a day. (http://www.tribalfootball.com/average-p ... ear-892241)

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 16 Jul 2011, 8:24am

I've not looked back up the thread, but I thought this poor chap was looking for a new team? (To develop the theme of soccer players being theatricals, I thought he was "resting.")

Malaconotus

Postby Malaconotus » 16 Jul 2011, 9:11am

thirdcrank wrote:I've not looked back up the thread, but I thought this poor chap was looking for a new team? (To develop the theme of soccer players being theatricals, I thought he was "resting.")

I'm sure if he had accepted to cut his wages to, say, a mere £500,000 a year, then West Ham, with whom he was relegated, would have been happy to keep him.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 16 Jul 2011, 9:39am

The only thing I could say with any certainty about West Ham would be that their most famous supporter was Alf Garnett and, iirc, he referred to them as the Ammers, (presumably the" 'ammers." )

R_nger

Postby R_nger » 16 Jul 2011, 10:26am

Malaconotus wrote:
Steve Kish wrote:Let's show some sympathy for him. After all, £750 is probably nearly half a days money. :(

Average premiership salary is more like £3,500 a day. (http://www.tribalfootball.com/average-p ... ear-892241)

Sadly, he's no longer a premiership player and the same source suggests he would average very close to £750 a day with his current club (if they kept him).

Anyway, this is all a bit of a smokescreen for his behaviour, which is unrelated to his profession (that would be interesting to analyse...the demographics of those caught doing over a ton on the roads)

gilesjuk

Postby gilesjuk » 16 Jul 2011, 12:41pm

Many insurers have a policy of not insuring sports persons or TV personalities. They must know how bad their driving is.

itshimitis

Postby itshimitis » 16 Jul 2011, 1:09pm

gilesjuk wrote:Many insurers have a policy of not insuring sports persons or TV personalities. They must know how bad their driving is.

My sister in law works in insurance and sometimes handles insurance for celebs. The reason is to do with associated risks. A celeb's loss of earnings is likely to be much higher than most. In some cases a relative of a celeb has a restriction where they cannot carry the celeb in their car because of the risk of injury and the massive payments that may result

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 16 Jul 2011, 1:45pm

R_nger wrote:Sadly, he's no longer a premiership player and the same source suggests he would average very close to £750 a day with his current club (if they kept him).

How does he cope?

gilesjuk

Postby gilesjuk » 16 Jul 2011, 2:27pm

itshimitis wrote:
gilesjuk wrote:Many insurers have a policy of not insuring sports persons or TV personalities. They must know how bad their driving is.

My sister in law works in insurance and sometimes handles insurance for celebs. The reason is to do with associated risks. A celeb's loss of earnings is likely to be much higher than most. In some cases a relative of a celeb has a restriction where they cannot carry the celeb in their car because of the risk of injury and the massive payments that may result

We're talking driving insurance, not any other form of insurance.

There was even a gameshow about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britain%27 ... ity_Driver

itshimitis

Postby itshimitis » 16 Jul 2011, 3:21pm

gilesjuk wrote:
itshimitis wrote:

We're talking driving insurance, not any other form of insurance.

There was even a gameshow about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britain%27 ... ity_Driver

It's driving insurance I'm referring to.