bike mirrors?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ronyrash

bike mirrors?

Post by ronyrash »

there is no such thing as a "cycle mirror" i wish there was.i find it amusing that even the ctc have not yet caught on to this fact.(last weeks newsletter)a cyclist as 4 eyes,and the only reliable rear check is a glance over the sholder.go looking thru your legs mate and you will very quickly be in a pot hole(at least)t.i am pretty sure that eventually there will be a rear view tv for bicycles which will be atached to the frame rather than the handlebars.
Cunobelin

Mirrors are an aid.

Post by Cunobelin »

I ride a variety of bikes from recumbents to folders and use mirrors on all of them. They are an aid to keeping an eye on what is happening, and do not replace the look over the shoulder( or on one bike under the arm.

The glance down to the mirror referred to takes no longer than the rear glance, so why is it a hazard and the latter not?
Mrs Tortoise

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

I use mirrors on my bikes too and find them invaluable. They only take a glance and if you need to look back for longer are safer than turning your head round to look back.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I've posted before about mirrors.
I think they should be compulsory,I wouldn't be without one.
Mansfield Marauder

Post by Mansfield Marauder »

I have always found that the vibration on a bike makes mirrors all but useless :(
Mansfield Moon Flea
May all your rides be punctureless
Si

Post by Si »

I tried fitting a bar end mirror, lasted about three rides until a Jag mashed it while passing :(
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Si wrote:I tried fitting a bar end mirror, lasted about three rides until a Jag mashed it while passing :(

That must have been very close,also if he didn't stop it would have been a crime,ie failing to stop after an accident, hope the driver did stop and apologise/refund you for the mirror.
dgibby

Post by dgibby »

Any recommendations here for a mirror for a drop handle tourer? Bar end is a possibility.
Cunobelin

Two options

Post by Cunobelin »

Option 1 - The Mirrycle

http://www.mirrycle.com/mountainmirrycle.htm
This will fit bar end, but does stick out to the side. It can be left a littler loose to allow a pivot within the bar width for parking. Alternatively one of the arms can be left off. Very solid and no vibration problems. Big viewing area.

I use these on my recumbents and a Dawes Horizon Tourer

Option 2 - Cycle[/url]Star
http://www.bumm.de/index-e.html

This is a smaller mirror, and whilst secure in it's fitting to the bike, the stems can vibrate slightly. I use the "no-neck" on my Airnimal and the short necks on the Bromptons and Birdy as they can fold with the bike.
nigel_s

Post by nigel_s »

Anyone actually tried the "Bike Eye" as advertised in "Cycle"? - www.bike-eye.com ?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

dgibby wrote:Any recommendations here for a mirror for a drop handle tourer? Bar end is a possibility.

Cateye 'Racing' £5.99 Halfords
Crazydave

Post by Crazydave »

I once bought a mirror, but it was impossible to fit. It wouldn't fit round my handlebars.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I once had a mirror too.

It fitted ok, but the vibration made it next to useless.

Have mirrors changed?
Do I want one?

I dunno ...
Mick F. Cornwall
Mrs Tortoise

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

I have a bikeye and a blackburn, which fits over the hoods on my road bike. Both are useful and I don't find vibration much of a problem - maybe I don't go fast enough! :wink:

(At speeds in excess of 35mph, too busy hanging on to look in the mirror!!!) :oops:
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

I've got a cateye racing mirror and I like it. It's by no means perfect but certainly better than nothing. Trouble I've got is that I haven't actually got used to the fact I've got it and forget to use it.....
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly