bike mirrors?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
PW

Post by PW »

Busch & Muller do a small bar end plug in which fits drops ok. It's a shade small but since the demise of the *circular* Rhode Gear it's the best I've found to be still compatible with Ergopowers.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Wildoo

Post by Wildoo »

dgibby wrote:Any recommendations here for a mirror for a drop handle tourer? Bar end is a possibility.

Try these.......

http://www.wildoo.co.uk/mirrors.htm
georgew

Post by georgew »

I've tried lots but nothing comes close to the "Mirrycle". Top quality and lasts for year after year. The one below fits drops.

http://shrunk.net/66048301
vandjq

Post by vandjq »

I agree about the mirrcycle, with one reservation: It's easily broken. I've had a few falls, and each time the arm holding the mirror bent or broke. Also I have to fold it back to get into my shed, the door at work and the lift.

Apart from that it's the best mirror on the market (and I've tried a few).

:)
PW

Post by PW »

My only gripe with the Mirrycle was that it used to unscrew going downhill. Get above 30mph & there'd be a sudden "Whirrr", the thing would spin like an aeroplane propellor & fly off into the road. I lost 3 like that, despite trying to threadlock them together. :(
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
john4703

A mirror helps

Post by john4703 »

I find a bar end mirror really useful when it is dark, wet and windy, the sort of weather when I do not want to turn my head and get even more rain inside my waterproofs. In the daytime I am less willing to trust the mirror but at night it clearly shows the lights of any cars behind. Anything that aids safety is good for me.
Tandemist

Post by Tandemist »

I used to have Pirate Flag (Skull & Crossbones) on my handlebars years ago, until one day I forgot it was there and snapped the metal flagpole when I hit it with my forehead. I was lucky it missed my eye.
I have been unwilling to clutter up my handlebars with flags, mirrors or bells since.
shaun_morrison

Kinetics - never ever buy from them

Post by shaun_morrison »

birdy wrote:Kinectics has them...

http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/mirrors.shtml

DO NOT buy from Kinetics. I bought a mirror from them - they have taken the money, but they never delivered. I have tried to contact them via email and phone many times and I cannot get through.

What can I do in this situation?
Lawrie9

Post by Lawrie9 »

If you get used to using your peripheral vision you don't really need a mirror. It is one more piece of clutter to attach to your handle bars and to impale yourself on.
shaun_morrison

Post by shaun_morrison »

Lawrie9 wrote:If you get used to using your peripheral vision you don't really need a mirror. It is one more piece of clutter to attach to your handle bars and to impale yourself on.

What happens if you are constantly looking out for someone else? A partner, a friend, a child?

I don't think you peripheral vision cuts it looking out for someone doing 65 KMp/h down a col in the Alps.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Lawrie9 wrote:If you get used to using your peripheral vision you don't really need a mirror. It is one more piece of clutter to attach to your handle bars and to impale yourself on.

My peripheral vision gives me about 170degs, the problem comes when I want to see directly behind at any given time, so I find a mirror very useful.

I find my mirror(cateye 'racing') doesn't clutter anything as it fits on the right bar end of drops and folds away very neatly when parked.

Could you elaborate on the impalement problem you envisage.
velocipede2288

Post by velocipede2288 »

Mansfield Marauder wrote:I have always found that the vibration on a bike makes mirrors all but useless :(

Then you have probably got the wrong mirror. I always use a mirror on all of my three bikes, and find them to be invalulable.
You don't always hear the vehicle coming behind you, but a glance and you can see it, and be ready for it.
velocipede2288

mirrors

Post by velocipede2288 »

I hav had a mirrcyle type mirror on two of my bikes for more years than I can remember, and have found them very useful and never had one break?
byegad

Post by byegad »

If you where glasses to ride a mirror mounted on the arm allows you to scan behind. I use one as I can't move my neck far enough to see behind me.
Tony1968

Post by Tony1968 »

I fitted a Mirrycle mountian mirror to my tourer about 3 years ago. Once adjusted it gives a good view and vibrations isn't a problem. I have the screws set fairly tight but loose enough that it'll move out of the way if knocked, something I do frequently yet so far ave failed to break it.

What I like most about having a mirror is that although I'm already aware of an approaching car the mirror allows me to assess whether the driver has seen me, when he's going to overtake and how much room he's likely to give and adjust my position to suit. On a multi lane one way system I can see which lane all the traffic behind me is in and on approching a right turn off a busy road can easily assess the best time to make my move.

I really miss it when I use the Brompton and must find something suitable for that too.