bike mirrors?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Colin Stanley

Post by Colin Stanley »

I use a "third eye" mirror. It clips onto the arm of my specs. Tried two others but this is the best one for ease of adjustment, and it folds back when not needed. If I use contact lenses, I have an old spec frame with lenses removed so I can continue to use the mirror. As it's up at eye level, it's very quick to use and a small head rotation gives good coverage thus removing any blind spot you would have with a mirror fixed to a bike. I bought it in the USA, but I imagine that any Google search would reveal a USA shop that would do mail order.
birdy

Post by birdy »

Kinectics has them...

http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/mirrors.shtml

I use the helmet mount mirror but I've taped it to my helmet and not used the permanent adhesive that's supplied. I figure if I cycle abroad I can just tape to the other side of the helmet whilst riding on the "wrong" side of the road.
diapason

Post by diapason »

Looks a good idea. I've seen them before, mainly being used by riders over from the States. My other idea - being as I can't fit a 'normal' bar end mirror to my butterfly bars - is to try one of those bike-eye mirrors mounted on a spare braze-on on my front forks.

N
Advena ego sum in Terra
Tev

Post by Tev »

I started using a Mirrycle about 15 years ago on an old tourer. The mirror mounted on the brake hood and the brake cable was re-routed thro' the hollow mounting bolt. When I bought a Raleigh Randonneur in 1996 it had dia-compe aero brake levers, and thus the mirror couldn't be mounted as before. However, as I find a mirror essential, I came up with the following fix.
The dia-compe lever has a flat on the top of the hood. I drilled and tapped this with an M5 thread, and then got a friend with a lathe to make me a replacement bolt in stainless steel. This fits thro' the mirrycle and screws into the brake hood.( The rubber hood cover is cut to allow fitting). A rubber tap washer is used as a spacer to give an interference fit, and allow the mirror to move if it is accidentally knocked.
I find the mod works perfectly, without a trace of visual vibration.
(See photos)
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Tev wrote:When I bought a Raleigh Randonneur in 1996 it had dia-compe aero brake levers, and thus the mirror couldn't be mounted as before. However, as I find a mirror essential, I came up with the following fix.
The dia-compe lever has a flat on the top of the hood. I drilled and tapped this with an M5 thread, and then got a friend with a lathe to make me a replacement bolt in stainless steel.

I've had that idea in the back of my mind for years, but I switched to STI quite quickly so didn't have the incentive to actually try it.
I'm glad to hear it works as well as I thought it would.
r-sparks

Post by r-sparks »

Is there a danger with bike mirrors that, during a crash, the mirror can smash? I'm sure they're mostly polished tin nowadays but they're still encased in plastic which can splinter and get stuck in skin etc. Seems to me that you want to have as few accoutrements on the bike handlebars as possible.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

r-sparks wrote:Is there a danger with bike mirrors that, during a crash, the mirror can smash? I'm sure they're mostly polished tin nowadays but they're still encased in plastic which can splinter and get stuck in skin etc. Seems to me that you want to have as few accoutrements on the bike handlebars as possible.

On that analogy the worst thing a cyclist could have on the handlebars are brake levers, sharp enough to pierce the skin! and then theres chainwheels spiky things just waiting to scythe though the skin I could go on but I think you get the message. :wink:

Mirrors do more good than harm and most are made from "bendy"plastic with the actual reflector also made from the same material. :)
Mrs Tortoise

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

reohn2 wrote:
r-sparks wrote:Is there a danger with bike mirrors that, during a crash, the mirror can smash? I'm sure they're mostly polished tin nowadays but they're still encased in plastic which can splinter and get stuck in skin etc. Seems to me that you want to have as few accoutrements on the bike handlebars as possible.

On that analogy the worst thing a cyclist could have on the handlebars are brake levers, sharp enough to pierce the skin! and then theres chainwheels spiky things just waiting to scythe though the skin I could go on but I think you get the message. :wink:

Mirrors do more good than harm and most are made from "bendy"plastic with the actual reflector also made from the same material. :)

What about spokes? They could be lethal. then of course impact with the road, but I suppose the ground will break your fall. But the most dangerous item is the nut behind the wheel!
sparkes

Post by sparkes »

reohn2 wrote:
dgibby wrote:Any recommendations here for a mirror for a drop handle tourer? Bar end is a possibility.

Cateye 'Racing' £5.99 Halfords

I have these on my bikes. They don't replace a look over the shoulder but they do fill in the gaps when riding close to fast moving traffic on those bumpy, potholed things we like to call A roads.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

sparkes wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
dgibby wrote:Any recommendations here for a mirror for a drop handle tourer? Bar end is a possibility.

I have these on my bikes. They don't replace a look over the shoulder but they do fill in the gaps when riding close to fast moving traffic on those bumpy, potholed things we like to call A roads.

Yep,love mine,best thing since unsliced,wholemeal bread :wink:
essexman

Post by essexman »

a flat tyre on my birdy caused me to pull my tourer out of teh shed to get to work. I found not having a mirror a 'mare through town and so got myself a blackburn. Visibility is ok, but it gets in the way of me transitioning between hoods and drops. Also, its unconfortable without gloves.

It seems obvious to me after this that a cycle mirror must fit onto the drops like Tevs clever mod of the mirrcycle
I hate snow.
GeoffL

Post by GeoffL »

diapason wrote:...My other idea - being as I can't fit a 'normal' bar end mirror to my butterfly bars - is to try one of those bike-eye mirrors mounted on a spare braze-on on my front forks.

Apologies for dragging up an old post, but have you managed to sort out a mirror for your butterfly bars?

FWIW, the best that I've come across for butterflies is the Zéfal Spy, which I have clipped around the grip on widest part of the right-hand bar. To be honest, I'd prefer something a little larger and the optical quality isn't brilliant. It does the job, but I suspect there's a better option somewhere.

Geoff
DavidT

Cateye "Racing"

Post by DavidT »

reohn2 wrote:
dgibby wrote:
Any recommendations here for a mirror for a drop handle tourer? Bar end is a possibility.

(I need to found out how to do proper cut and paste in the nice boxes that everyone else has!!)

Would also advise - this unit is a good design as mirror itself is a relatively easy quick release leaving a bar end fixing that is neat and tidy. So you can chose when to use it. I don't bother when riding solo (most of the time), but do use it when riding in company.

Also available CTC Shop.
Beakyboy

Post by Beakyboy »

Has anyone tried the Italian road bike racing mirror that goes into the bar end? Thinking of getting one as they look unabtrusive. Are they any good?
byegad

Post by byegad »

I find turning my head around far enough to see right behind me impossible. So a mirror of some sort is vital. Depending on the bike, I use bar mounted, bar end mounted, velcro, helmet mounted and glasses mounted mirrors. My ideal combination is a bike mounted mirror giving a good view to the rear right and a helmet or glasses mirror which I can use to sweep the rear 180*.