bike mirrors?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
MikeDee

Re: Rear View Mirror

Post by MikeDee »

I'd like to try a mirror that is slightly convex, like a right side mirror on a car. The Take-a-Look mirror is flat and I do have to move my head slightly to the left to see behind. I wonder if a convex mirror would be better in this regard?
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

KTHSullivan wrote:
Cyckelgalen wrote:The Selle Italia eyelink is the best mirror for drop bars. A bit pricey though.

Cheers, that was just the type of thing I have been looking for.

Careful … might not be a veersion for for UK/left side driving.
I should coco.
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

I've been using the CycleAware Reflex helmet mounted mirror for several years. Works well. For transport or other situations where you don't want to have the mirror on the helmet, the arm+mirror can be detached from the ball-joint mount that is stuck to the side of the helmet.

https://cycleaware.com/shop/ols/product ... he-flx-hlm
francovendee

Re: bike mirrors?

Post by francovendee »

Now I've gotten old and have a stiff neck it meant turning my body to glance behind and all too often I drifted towards the middle of the road.
A mirror has solved my problem. It can vibrate a little but all I need is an idea if there is a vehicle coming up from behind.
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

francovendee wrote:. It can vibrate a little but all I need is an idea if there is a vehicle coming up from behind.

It's because of the vibration that I had to abandon an experiment with mirrors, despite having a similar stiff neck problem. I found that the vibration was such that trying to make even vague sense of the briefly-glimpsed image was impossible. The mirror itself became a hazard because it was taking too much of my attention away from the road. It was also impossible to keep it at exactly the right angle, which seemed to require very accurate 'tuning' if you weren't to find yourself looking at an image of the hedge or the sky. (This was a Blackburn brake lever mounted mirror - the only available position, since I use bar-end shifters.)
Whether the excessive vibration was a consequence of the dreadful road surfaces here on the Devon lanes, or of the braked hood fitting, I don't know. Whatever it was, it was impossible to continue.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

ChrisButch wrote:It's because of the vibration that I had to abandon an experiment with mirrors, despite having a similar stiff neck problem. I found that the vibration was such that trying to make even vague sense of the briefly-glimpsed image was impossible. The mirror itself became a hazard because it was taking too much of my attention away from the road. It was also impossible to keep it at exactly the right angle, which seemed to require very accurate 'tuning' if you weren't to find yourself looking at an image of the hedge or the sky. (This was a Blackburn brake lever mounted mirror - the only available position, since I use bar-end shifters.)
Whether the excessive vibration was a consequence of the dreadful road surfaces here on the Devon lanes, or of the braked hood fitting, I don't know. Whatever it was, it was impossible to continue.

I use a Mirrycle lever mounted mirror on one bike, and a bar end Mirrycle on another. They don't vibrate out of adjustment. They do the job but I prefer my spectacle mounted (no helmet) Third Eye mirror which I use on my other bikes. Naturally vibration is not a problem with it, and tiny head movements enable me to scan.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Valbrona wrote:
KTHSullivan wrote:
Cyckelgalen wrote:The Selle Italia eyelink is the best mirror for drop bars. A bit pricey though.

Cheers, that was just the type of thing I have been looking for.

Careful … might not be a veersion for for UK/left side driving.

I twigged just before I "pulled the trigger" but thanks anyway.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Herts Audax

Post by Herts Audax »

The Zefal Epsion Z56 is great on recumbents. Gives a full road width view of behind.
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

Mike Sales wrote:
ChrisButch wrote:It's because of the vibration that I had to abandon an experiment with mirrors, despite having a similar stiff neck problem. I found that the vibration was such that trying to make even vague sense of the briefly-glimpsed image was impossible. The mirror itself became a hazard because it was taking too much of my attention away from the road. It was also impossible to keep it at exactly the right angle, which seemed to require very accurate 'tuning' if you weren't to find yourself looking at an image of the hedge or the sky. (This was a Blackburn brake lever mounted mirror - the only available position, since I use bar-end shifters.)

I use a Mirrycle lever mounted mirror on one bike, and a bar end Mirrycle on another. They don't vibrate out of adjustment. They do the job but I prefer my spectacle mounted (no helmet) Third Eye mirror which I use on my other bikes. Naturally vibration is not a problem with it, and tiny head movements enable me to scan.

Unfortunately, as far as I can see Mirrycle don't make a mirror which will fit aero type hoods on drops (their 'original' design assumes a cable exiting the top of the hood). And I don't wear specs, so one of those isn't an option either. So I'm still stumped.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

ChrisButch wrote:Unfortunately, as far as I can see Mirrycle don't make a mirror which will fit aero type hoods on drops (their 'original' design assumes a cable exiting the top of the hood). And I don't wear specs, so one of those isn't an option either. So I'm still stumped.

I modified an STI lever to take that sort of Mirrycle. I drilled and tapped a hole in the corresponding place in the lever, and fitted the hollow Mirrycle bolt with a bolt within it. A hole in the rubber hood is easy to make. A lock nut secured things. The setup has lasted some years now. It ought to be possible with non-STI aeros.
My tyres are old-fashioned, hard and narrow, but I truly do not find vibration a problem.
I can see vehicles behind clearly, I have no idea whether my vari-focals help or hinder.
If you can bring yourself to wear sunglasses they would provide a site (and sight!) for the Third Eye.
I find my mirrors a boon and a blessing, perhaps more now that age has stiffened my neck too.
I seem to remember that one has to get used to using the Third Eye, but it is a habit worth acquiring.
Last edited by Mike Sales on 23 Jan 2021, 7:33pm, edited 5 times in total.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

ChrisButch wrote:
francovendee wrote:. It can vibrate a little but all I need is an idea if there is a vehicle coming up from behind.

It's because of the vibration that I had to abandon an experiment with mirrors, despite having a similar stiff neck problem. I found that the vibration was such that trying to make even vague sense of the briefly-glimpsed image was impossible. The mirror itself became a hazard because it was taking too much of my attention away from the road. It was also impossible to keep it at exactly the right angle, which seemed to require very accurate 'tuning' if you weren't to find yourself looking at an image of the hedge or the sky. (This was a Blackburn brake lever mounted mirror - the only available position, since I use bar-end shifters.)

Luckily the vibration was nothing like that and if the road surface was smooth I could pick out the numbers on the registration plates. Your vibration seems way worse.
millimole

Post by millimole »

ChrisButch wrote:

I've been using mirrors for far too long and tried many types - the vibration you describe I've seen with all the mirrors that have a spring somewhere in the construction, and some designs of mirror with a longish arm between the mounting and the mirror itself.
The most suitable ones for me are the aero type that are little more than a convex surface on a bar plug. These are unsuitable for anything other than drops.
You don't need perfect optics, just sufficient to spot a vehicle on your back side.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider