Preston to Manchester

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
john.will.wright

Preston to Manchester

Post by john.will.wright »

Hi,

I'm starting a new job in Manchester and was planning on (occasionally) getting the train with a folding bike most of the time, however once a week or so I'd like to cycle all the way on my proper bike. Does anyone know any nice routes?

More precisely it's from Woodplumpton, just north of Preston to Eccles, near Trafford. The two routes that I've found so far seem to be straight down the A6 all the way through Westhaughton or going off to East a little past the reservoirs and through Bolton. Is there much to say about those two routes?

Any suggestions will be appreciated

John
ferrit worrier

Re: Preston to Manchester

Post by ferrit worrier »

I've used the A6 from Preston to Manchester a few times and found it ok. I turn off towards Westhoughton and Atherton then down to Leigh ending up near Manchester Airport so I cant advise on the rest of the run into Eccles, but dont forget if you get a flyer out of work there's Fredericks Icecream shop near Chorley :D something to go for :)
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
john.will.wright

Post by john.will.wright »

In the end I went a more Easterly way through Abbey Village and Belmont, very nice over there and reasonably hilly too. The only nasty bit really was getting from Eccles (M50 1RE) to just North of Bolton, Bromley cross area. I went West through Worsley and Walkden then up through Bolton after quickly deciding against the A666 but it still wasn't a pleasant ride.

Any better ideas for the Manchester-Bolton end?
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Have you tried the old railway cycle route from Bolton that runs thru Eccles?
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Teddy Two Teas

Post by Teddy Two Teas »

My 2pence worth?

Out of Eccles up Barton Road
then up Leigh Road to Boothstown
Through Moseley Common - right onto Mort Ln
Left onto the A6 - then stay on the A6 or do a right at the motorway at the A58 and then pick up Chorley New Road.
I'd be inclined to stick with A6 - bit flatter.
After that is out of my manor im afraid.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

A couple of years ago I commuted by bike from south Manchester to Chorley for about 3 months and found the A6 to be reasonably OK in the rush hours. The non-Manchester bit was quite nice, almost enjoyable.
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

eileithyia wrote:Have you tried the old railway cycle route from Bolton that runs thru Eccles?

Where does it start and finish please?
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I used to pick it up at 724053 just south of the school at Farnworth, cross the motorway on a pedestrian bridge, then it runs thru Walkden, Worsley, and into Eccles, it is quite a few years since I have used it.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

eileithyia wrote:I used to pick it up at 724053 just south of the school at Farnworth, cross the motorway on a pedestrian bridge, then it runs thru Walkden, Worsley, and into Eccles, it is quite a few years since I have used it.

Many thanks

I will do it next week as I want to cycle home from Salford quays
Teddy Two Teas

Post by Teddy Two Teas »

You pick up the beginning of the cycle route at Monton Green here

http://maps.google.com/?ll=53.492003,-2.355076&spn=0.003562,0.009238&t=h&z=17

You can see the path heading off to the north west.

Unless it been paved very recently i would suggest its not suitable for road bikes. Its a bit scrappy in places.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

As someone who began rough stuff cycling just before the MTB hit our shores I would suggest you can probably use any sort of bike so long as the tyres are fairly robust on this type of trail, I always used a road bike when I rode it regularly.
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Is an MTB a bike designed to go slowly?

It has no virtues on my old bike which did lots of roughtstuff in the 60s - except gears