Road maintenance

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
dodger

Road maintenance

Postby dodger » 18 Apr 2007, 7:42pm

Recently noticed that Cornwall County Council is cutting £2M from its road maintenance bill. Guess we all know which roads will be most affected. YES, the minor ones that are havens for cyclists.
Is this happening in the rest of the Country and is the CTC going to make representations?
It's a bit of a nonsense having so-called "green" policies when this sort of action will make using a bike less enjoyable and more difficult.
I don't want to ride on the big roads with all the impatient traffic, but I bet these are the ones that get the most maintenance.

simon l6 and a bit

Postby simon l6 and a bit » 18 Apr 2007, 8:01pm

http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/

let this be your means of keeping them up to the mark...

dodger

Postby dodger » 18 Apr 2007, 10:44pm

Hate to be an old cynic, but I will not be surprised to find the repairs not happening!!

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 20 Apr 2007, 4:32pm

Simon

I am a recent convert to fillthathole. However, I think it would be naive to expect it will do much more than get some holes filled in. (Incidentally, have a look at

http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/hazard/5517/images

to see a typical 100 yard stretch of road in parts of Leeds. All still unrepaired.)

The problem is much more fundamental than that and cyclists are particularly affected.

We are witnessing a serious deterioration in the entire English* road network. In this area, even brand new motorways have been closed for rectifications before they were opened. Large areas of complete roads are breaking up with no prospect of early repair. It is several years since I bothered to read a Highway Authority annual funding bid but roads which have been assessed as having passed their useful life several years previously remain unrepaired. As holes open up, some of the worst are bodged up. Roads are sprayed with tar and coated with gravel as a cheap way of minimising further water penetration which causes so much damage. Drains remain blocked so that big pools of surface water increase that water damage. Trench reinstatements by statutory undertakers, many dating from the cable boom in the 1990's, are breaking up, often leaving a long rut parallel with the kerb. When a road is (rarely) completely re-surfaced, statutory undertakers seem to appear in short order and excercise their right to return it to a mess.

It seems that a big contributor to this is that local authorities are devoting their resources to other services, probably in the hope that the visible deterioration of the roads will force central govt., to cough up more £££.

The report quoted by dodger is just another sign of what is going on.

* Of course, gerrymandering means that this is not the case further afield.

meic

Postby meic » 21 Apr 2007, 12:32am

I cant see any difference between the situation in England and that here in Wales. Are you saying we have had preferential treatment? In which case your roads must be unbelievable.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 21 Apr 2007, 11:44am

meic

I was thinking more of Scotland. The only part of Wales I have been to recently is the North West, and the roads there are infinitely superior to those around here. (Go to fillthathole, select Leeds and look at some of the pics. Post some of your area if you like and we can compare notes.)

For anyone visiting the North East of England/ Scottish Borders, the difference is huge and it is not restricted to the roads. The differences when comparing say Wooler and Berwick with Kelso and Kirk Yetholm are quite obvious.

A little example: at the time of his coming to power, I remember Blair going on about 20 mph speed limits outside schools. Another 'aspiration' sunk without trace, I thought. On holiday in South West Scotland last year, variable speed limits outside schools - 20 mph when the nice new signs are flashing.