small memorial

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
galavanter

small memorial

Post by galavanter »

Was out cycling between Dalry and Carsphairn in Dumfries and Galloway and came across a head stone at side of road to a cyclist who died in 1996 and his ashes were scattered there and many years later his wifes ashes also Ithink his name was Stirling . Quite moving
eileithyia

Re: small memorial

Post by eileithyia »

Trough Of Bowland border stone has been a popular place for ashes to be scattered for Lancs cyclists, most notably Bill Bradley of Southport CC.

Another friend had his ashes scattered there and another plaque was put on the border stone, but these have been removed and I understand other arrangements for plaques are being made.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I used to think well-placed benches made a nice memorial. I've stopped plenty of times for a breather at this one:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=hebden& ... 8,,0,30.08

It doesn't look much in the streetview but it overlooks a magificent view across Skyreholme and down towards Bolton Abbey. I've always assumed that the chap's ashes were scattered there. Unfortunately, even in such a remote place, the last time I looked somebody had been at the bench with some sort of saw - perhaps a Swiss Army knife with too many unused blades. :evil:

Unfortunately, the idea of memorial seats seems to have become too popular; the last time I was on the riverside walkway in Wetherby (just below the Bridge Café) there were so many of these benches they were piled on top of each other. :(
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

There are several memorial seats at the 'Mills' aka 2 mills cafe on Wirral.
Unfortunatley some are falling into disrepair... after all wood eventually rots, and a friend has been doing some repairs on them.
It seems a shame that ongoing maintenance is not also budgeted for.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
drossall

Post by drossall »

The Bidlake Memorial Garden commemorates the famous rider of that name. Although rerouting means that it is no longer on the A1, our club 10 course used at one time to pass it. We now use a sporting course a couple of miles away.
Ian Raleigh

Post by Ian Raleigh »

Many years ago i wanted a seat to be positioned near Church Laneham on the river trent in
memory of my late father the council wanted £280 a year just to keep it there ! I asked them
what do i get for £280 do they varnish the seat - polish the plaque ? ''Nothing sir this fee is to keep it there''

Disgusting or what to make money from the memories of my father. :(
BARRACH

Post by BARRACH »

A few years ago I cycled that same road from Dalry to Carsphairn. I was struggling a bit and decided,
when I saw the memorial to use it as an excuse to stop and catch my breath. It did my morale
no good at all to discover the memorial was to a cyclist who had died at that spot while out cycling!
aprildavy

Post by aprildavy »

There's a nice stone seat in memorium to a seargent that died at El Alemein in 1942 near us in Dorset. It is quite hidden from view. It makes a good place to stop and have some water and eat a fruty bar on a long cycle.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

A local village hall was for many years the HQ for many time trials over all distances. In the car park there are a several metal seats in memory of prominent cyclists. Heavier traffic has ruled out all but the 12 hour course ( a 6.00am start and staight into less congested roads) which still uses it, as do audax and reliability rides.
Last edited by Grandad on 27 Sep 2011, 12:13am, edited 1 time in total.
drossall

Post by drossall »

This memorial to the first British military aviators to be killed in service is only a mile or two from home, so I pass it quite often.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

BARRACH wrote:... I cycled that same road from Dalry to Carsphairn. ...
Not a memorial but a bad memory: for a number of years 1975 - 84 we had many family holidays near Dalry and cycled a lot round there. On one occasion when I was back at work after the holiday, a telex came through from the police in that neck of the woods to say that a dead body had been found in the long grass behind a roadside bench and it had been there many months. A quick check reveled this had been our favourite seat for a rest. :shock:
pootler

Post by pootler »

In Scotland during June I came across a small bench, just south of Scourie, with views out to sea. Rather a shock when I realised that it was a memorial to cyclist Roy James Sidwell. Apparently he really enjoyed cycling.
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

eileithyia wrote:There are several memorial seats at the 'Mills' aka 2 mills cafe on Wirral.
Unfortunatley some are falling into disrepair... after all wood eventually rots, and a friend has been doing some repairs on them.
It seems a shame that ongoing maintenance is not also budgeted for.

I don't see that as a problem. Somehow the wood decaying is representative of life. Perhaps it is fitting that the seat does not live forever.