How often do you actually get a puncture?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
byegad

Re: How often do you actually get a puncture?

Post by byegad »

I managed three in a mile with Kojaks on an icy road. The tyres were splitting and some of the splits were punctures.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
rich.hr6

Post by rich.hr6 »

Not one since 2002, then three in as many weeks just recently. Two in the front and one in the rear. So much for Marathons. On all three occasions thorns were the problem, big 'uns.
The NFU should provide free punture repair kits to any cyclist who sends an SAE. Failing that, can we not lobby to have hawthorn hedges banned alongside public highways?
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

rich.hr6 wrote:Failing that, can we not lobby to have hawthorn hedges banned alongside public highways?

Beside a brand new cycle track near here, they planted a hedge of hawthorn and rosehips. Whoever thought of that clearly hates cyclists. Last time I was there, spikey tendrils extended the full width of the path: some on the ground, others at eye level. I reported this to the County Council, and they passed it on to the Highways Agency, who are apparently responsible for maintenance.
ersakus

Post by ersakus »

I have been using 650Bx42mm (Hetre) tyres with no puncture protection form more than probably 1500miles. I had one glass puncture at rear. Perhaps pressure in tyre is important as well. I run them at 40/32psi.

I had loads of punctures with narrow paselas (28mm) before. I feel high pressure tyres are more prone to puncture where low pressure wide tyres have more give and hence don't puncture or cut easily even without puncture protection. They don't suffer from snake bit type p****s either.
rich.hr6

Post by rich.hr6 »

.............................and to top it all, I came downstairs this morning, looked at the bike, and the front tyre was flat as a pancake yet again!!I didn't believe in P-fairies before; I'm not so sure now?!?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

rich.hr6 wrote:.............................and to top it all, I came downstairs this morning, looked at the bike, and the front tyre was flat as a pancake yet again!!I didn't believe in P-fairies before; I'm not so sure now?!?

I'd be after some new tyres. When were they last replaced?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
rich.hr6

Post by rich.hr6 »

They're only just run in, ie. not a lot of mileage although a couple of years old.

I put it down to all the hedge cuttings littering the roads at this time of year. I do spend most of my time pottering down little lanes with grass and weeds sprouting up in the middle, with a few prickly bits thrown in for good measure. I don't know whether the Schwalbe ad' mentions thorns, probably not. I'm getting to be a dab hand at P-repairs though, and as long as I don't run out of patches I'm not too bothered.
meic

Post by meic »

It is that time of year. :cry:

There are also some specific routes that are littered with thorns.
Back in the good old days when pubs had live music on Friday nights without paying £1000 for a licence I used to do a 10 mile ride back from the pub on Friday night and not paying much attention to EXACTLY where I was riding in the lane. Then on Saturday morning I would always have at least one thorn related puncture to fix.
Yma o Hyd
chrisc

Post by chrisc »

Management summary : about 1 puncture for every 1,000 miles, I would say.

Basically using a road bike on road but occasionally off-road as well and they are fattish 35mm tyre types. Had one puncture last year off-road, then two in one day (a right downer !). All rear ones. I managed LEJOG without any punctures at all last year. Got a bent 6 inch nail through my rear tyre sidewall a couple of years back and came to a clanking halt in the pouring rain. Dunno how I managed to get that ... :shock:
Tourer : 2010 Giant CRS City 4.0
Other : 1963 Denton retro (now back in the loft!)
Tasker

Post by Tasker »

alicej wrote:I've been cycling for two years now and haven't had a puncture. Possibly I'm invoking the fairy just by typing this, but I'm actually starting to worry about the fact that I now have experience of fixing lots of things and even bodging things until I get home, but have no experience at all of having to change a tube at the side of the road.

Don't think you need to worry. You seem to be a practical type person. But know what you mean - about loosing the ability bit. Since I forked out for a pair of Marathon Plusses (?) I haven't had a flat in over two years - And I ride over everything and all surfaces.

Still though, have a spare inner tube in the bag, as well as a puncture outfit. Honestly, unless you've got a super road bike, get a pair. I can't recommend them highly enough.
Palinurus

Post by Palinurus »

Very rarely if I count my commute, road and TT bikes. I ride about 6000 miles / year, all year round and in all weathers. I once went three years without a puncture. I don't do anything special, I use armadillos on the first two bikes, some sort of Vittoria folding tyre on the last. I'm a relatively light rider, might help.

The 'cross bike picks up a few, but it's used for racing. I might experiment with Stan's no-tubes this season, see if it seals the holes well enough to avoid a pit stop.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

alicej wrote: ... but have no experience at all of having to change a tube at the side of the road. ...
I only noticed this when somebody quoted it. I'm not sure if you mean you have changed them at home in the dry - in which case it's not that much different at the side of the road except it's usually cold and wet - or if you don't really know what's involved. If it's the latter, watch Colins vid (it's in the changing tight tyres thread in too good to lose - technical.) Then I'd recommend a dress rehearsal at home. I know that seems like tempting fate but it's worth it. The important thing to understand is that tyre beads do not stretch and that careful manipulation is the key. I always recommend to anybody who doesn't believe this to try fitting the cover without the tube when it's usually much easier than with it in place.

It's worth remembering that a run of punctures can be caused by not finding the cause of the first one, rather than bad luck. Especially in urban areas, it's possible to pick up a tiny shard of glass which will eventually cause a puncture. It may not be visible on the inside of the cover, and running the fingers round may not detect it either. It's worth folding open any cuts in the cover and searching right down to the bottom - the fragment may be almost microscopic, but if it stays in there, another puncture is almost inevitable.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I forgot the big nail I picked up - but as the Tyre didn't deflate on the way home...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

BTW, I've still not had a puncture.

82 wonderful miles yesterday in West Cornwall - no punctures.
Mick F. Cornwall
Alex L

Post by Alex L »

At uni - never.

At home with MTB tyres and "puncture proof" inners. I've clocked up well over 20 punctures in a year. In fact, on my last ride before coming back to uni. I managed to have 3!