Just went to police station

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
delport

Re: Just went to police station

Post by delport »

To the original poster, sorry to hear your story, that is a big financial loss in anyone's book,£150 down in one go.

I really don't get the obsessive use and installation of CCTV in the Uk as opposed to say any other nation in Europe.It is not doing the job it was installed for in the first place.
It is clearly not solving crime properly, it is seen as a deterrent for some reason, we should be a nation that can solve practically every crime in weeks if cctv is used properly, there is little point in installing the stuff if you start off with poor cameras, or black and white footage, the technology should always be good enough for court and media purposes, and i really don't think it would cost very much to get every camera up to that standard, where you see a photo or video and the person is easily recognised [providing they aren't wearing a balaclava or a hoodie of course].

We have cctv surrounding all of the area my flat is within, yet crimes have been commited and all the people say is sorry we will adjust the camera a few more degrees so that we can catch the next person who commits a crime.
What is the whole point if you are letting one crime go in order to refine your technique to catch the next person [of course there is no guarantee the next offender will be caught anyway].

I say if we are going to use CCTV in the Uk use it on a small scale, use quality technology good cameras, night vision whatever, don't flood towns with cameras and then say, sorry we missed the crime, even after reviewing footage.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

delport wrote:To the original poster, sorry to hear your story, that is a big financial loss in anyone's book,£150 down in one go.

They merely attempted to steal the lights, they didn't manage to take them due to the cable ties (!), so it's just the £50 computer, not the £100 lights.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Gone are the days when thieves and burglars wore black and white striped jerseys, masks across their eyes and carried a big sack marked 'SWAG'.

Nowadays, they dress just like you or I. Anyone you see around could be a thief.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Although some give you a clue that they are crooks by parading from time to time on telly etc wearing brightly coloured rosettes.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

PRL wrote:Dynamo lights seem unappealing to the light fingered and will be there when you need them.

Having had my dynamo lights vandalised, you can't say for sure. Which is why I have both removable battery and batteryless lights on my bike, not being willing to attempt to get home without lights down the darkened lanes near my house: I need lights even if I'm walking. I've also had gear cables snipped.