Brought some new lights from WILKO'S !!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
peter99

Re: Brought some new lights from WILKO'S !!

Post by peter99 »

Si wrote:Enough already with da pedantry concerning the use of Inglish. We've seen it all before - someone, like, starts pointing out the errors in others posts, then everyone else steams in pointing out the errors in theirs (there's, they'res, they're's, etc), then we have a bit of hand bags at dawn, innit. Any more squabbling and I'll have you all copying out the first chapter of 'eats shoots and leaves' a hundred times. Just ain't worth it.

FWIW, I think of the forum like this: it's just a load of people having a number of informal chats, like you might find in any pub or cafe. Now, if it were official reports or CVs or sumit like that then I'd expect the grammar/spelling/etc to be pinged, and I'm sure that the vast majority of people on the forum are perfectly capable of writing 'proper-inglish' if the occasion warrants it. So, if you were in a pub would you walk around, eavesdropping on conversations and butting in to point out all of the grammatical mistakes? I think not. So, as long as what people post here is easily comprehensible then I try to keep my grammar/spelling/syntax nazism at bay.

However, if poor grammar/spelling/syntax does wind you up, then feel free to start a new thread about it in general terms rather than specifically high lighting errors in any individual post.

This^^^^^^^ enough said!

(Except

Ayesha wrote:If the OP was sat at his PC at home with the new lamps by his side, he had indeed brought them from Wilko's.

'If the OP was sitting'.......

Oh shoot, stop me)
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

peter99 wrote:...<snip>...

(Except

Ayesha wrote:If the OP was sat at his PC at home with the new lamps by his side, he had indeed brought them from Wilko's.

'If the OP was sitting'.......

Oh stop, shoot me)

Is that what you meant to say? :mrgreen:
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Guy951 wrote:Is that what you meant to say?

No :twisted:
In modern language he would have "Robbed them"

I am wondering if they are worth broughting?
How long do the batteries last?
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Ian Raleigh

Post by Ian Raleigh »

Edwards wrote: How long do the batteries last?

The batteries in my lights will last forever !

How do i know this ? It says so on them ''SUPER POWER''-''LONG LIFE''-''HIGH ENERGY''-''PLEASE DISPOSE OF WHEN DISTINGUISHED'' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know those really high quality batteries you get in foreign packaging :roll:
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Ian Raleigh wrote:The batteries in my lights will last forever ! How do i know this ? It says so on them ''SUPER POWER''-''LONG LIFE''-''HIGH ENERGY''-''PLEASE DISPOSE OF WHEN DISTINGUISHED'' You know those really high quality batteries you get in foreign packaging

Oh Sugar.
Somehow I thought they might. :lol: .
I am now wondering if they are the new fangeled one that never leak? :shock:
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
ericonabike

Post by ericonabike »

I feel as if i'm living in a post Orwell world

You are. Since 21 January 1950 in fact. Unless you mean the river Orwell, which is still flowing as far as I'm aware.
Motorists' mantra: Cyclists must obey the law and the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES. Unless their doing so would HOLD ME UP.
delport

Post by delport »

ericonabike wrote:
I feel as if i'm living in a post Orwell world

You are. Since 21 January 1950 in fact. Unless you mean the river Orwell, which is still flowing as far as I'm aware.

Orwell's world hasn't yet happened, 1984 isn't all reality, so there is still room for post orwell, as it hasn't happened yet.

The point i was making is how words have now changed, yet some of us still know what proper english words still mean.

This is highlighted a few times in 1984, from the singing woman hanging washing singing an old song that that the character recognises, but not everyone would at that time.
And the change of words to mean something else.

Brought is still the wrong word whatever way you look at it.
ericonabike

Post by ericonabike »

I was trying to make the point that picking people up on spelling/grammar/usage on a forum such as this is a distraction. For the record, I've spent the past 15 years getting paid for writing and proofreading, am a devotee of Orwell (having used 'Politics and the English Language' as a basis for plain English training sessions on many occasions), and am intensely interested in language and its evolution. But I still would not dream of attempting to correct others' posts on a forum such as this. So shall we call it a draw and get back to cycling?
Motorists' mantra: Cyclists must obey the law and the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES. Unless their doing so would HOLD ME UP.
John H

Post by John H »

I bought a cheap front light from a local shop in Bridgwater (not a chain of stores like Wilko) but it's made by Rolson who make cheap 'n cheerful tools so it may be available in other places that sell Rolson stuff. . 1W LED, 4 AAAs and it was only £5.99 or £6.99. OK, a light powered by AAs would be better in terms of running cost but for the price it's excellent. Very good for being seen, reasonable for seeing where you're going considering the price
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Let's have the other 'lamps' debate.

Are five 1 W LEDs as bright, brighter or not so bright as one 5 W LED ?

In other words, are five £5.99 lamps better or worse than one £29.99 lamp?

I know where my money went... :lol: