Car passengers throwing objects

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
markc

Car passengers throwing objects

Postby markc » 23 Sep 2004, 9:28am

Hi all,

Two days in a row, while I've cycled to work, I've had things thrown at me by the occupants of the same car as it passed by. I'm pretty sure they were apples yesterday; I didn't stop to look but today's projectiles left a slimy mark on my clothes.

Has anyone ever reported this sort of thing to the police, and had any positive results from it? I don't really want to waste time with the police if it will bring no results.

My immediate reaction both days has been to look at where I've been hit, so I haven't got a very good look at the vehicle or occupants; "stupid looking grin, baseball cap" is probably not a sufficiently precise description. I think I got the registration number, but I'm not sure.

tee-ell

Re:Car passengers throwing objects

Postby tee-ell » 23 Sep 2004, 10:34am

yes tell you local bobby, if they are as bike friendly as ours they should hunt down this oik quite easily.

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 23 Sep 2004, 11:22am

My experience is, if you haven't got a number plate and some sort of description, forget it. I was once (years ago) physically punched by a car passenger, knocked off my bike, however not badly hurt. The Police were sympathetic but without a registration number there was little they could do. Flag down any following motorist and ask for help.

Any by the way, any motorists reading this: if you witness such an incident, please note any number plates you can see, stop, and offer to assist the cyclist. You have a public duty to do so especially if he or she might be injured! (in fact, in some countries such as France it is a legal requirement).

Tony

Postby Tony » 23 Sep 2004, 11:44am

Multiple times objects have been thrown at me, last time a half full 2 litre drink bottle. Obscured/broken numberplate, etc. I got no joy at the nick, apart from a comment that the same car was probably involved in an incident where a car door was opened as they passed a stopped cyclist, hitting him in the head. I have, however, left details with our local cycling police patrol. Logic is that they may not do "my" incident, but enough reports of the same car may trigger some action. Can but hope....was that a BMX winning the Tour?

markc

Postby markc » 23 Sep 2004, 3:41pm

I've reported it to the Essex police now. They confirmed that I likely had remembered the registration number correctly, as it (R751 FFV) was indeed matched to a Mondeo as I thought.

However, it didn't sound as though they intend to do anything about yet; I was advised to call back if it happened again. I won't be working tomorrow, but I suspect I'll see these yobs again on Monday morning...

For anyone else cycling around the Herts/Essex border who has such an experience, please note whether the car involved is a red Mondeo with the above registration, and let the police know.

Having now given my name to the police, I probably can't carry out plan B, preparing something to spray in the open window as they pass by next time... :-)

ratchet

Postby ratchet » 24 Sep 2004, 7:44pm

Well Done Markc! Posting the blokes number plate is a great idea. Is there any mileage in having a 'Name and Shame' page?

I had an incident a few years ago when a very distinctive van came past me at about 100 - it nearly sucked me off the bike! As luck would have it he stopped a little futher down the road at a chip shop. I enquired politely - didn't accuse him - just asked if I could have the phone number of his transport supervisor so I could find out which of his vehicles were in that particular area at that time and to have a word with the driver . . . .

Pedalling Pete

Postby Pedalling Pete » 27 Sep 2004, 9:29am

Two points : Get an incident number from the Poilice, and Write to Chief Constable if response inadequate.
The Police will try to reduce crimes they cannot resolve - to improve their performance statistics. Be assertive - they are your servants! In Leicestershire we have had persistent attacks near a travellers camp. The Police advised one cyclist that he would not want his address to be revealed, as they would have to if they persisted with his complaint.
In the end it is the Chief Constable who is answerable for the actions, or inaction, of his force. Go public with your complaint, copying your local CTC, and HQ, and the local press.
In such cases it may be that many cases are suppressed by the unwritten policies of the Police force.

Andhar The Wheel

Postby Andhar The Wheel » 7 Oct 2004, 8:32am

I have had this happen to me. I reported the driver as I got a note of the drivers reg no. However after 6 months they were unable to trace the driver as he had moved on and not left a current address. From what the PC said he was a well known chav and had been invovled in other incidents worse than mine.
I would say however it is always worth reporting. If they think they can get away with it, then they will continue to harass others, with more bravado each time.

nigel

Postby nigel » 8 Oct 2004, 5:41pm

Q&A in Oct/Nov issue of cycle attempts to deal with this problem but fails miserably by reeling out the "under the road traffic act, blah blah, motorists are liable to up to a £2500 fine... all you have to do is politely stop them and ask for their contact and insurance details..." etc etc.
Get real. A better solution, if possible, is to catch them up at traffic lights, junctions etc and then kick big dents in their car. It's a real show-stopper, providing witnesses galore and a very good chance that the police will be called -if only to disperse the congestion that you've caused!
And yes it does feel good.

Pedalling Pete

Postby Pedalling Pete » 8 Oct 2004, 6:32pm

The best "feel-good" story I remember was from New York. As the Cops hated bike messengers almost as much as did the cabbies, they ignored complaints of deiberate agression by taxi drivers. Likewise the cab firms did not want to know. With the arrival of the mobile phone, any incident could be spread by the messengers, identifing the cab firm responsible. If any cab from the same firm was found in a restricted location, messengers would descend en mass, armed with their block-remover tools (it was before cassettes), and trashed the taxi's paintjob. It was claimed it brought about a change in attitude! From the previous postings, it does not seem that the advice of the CTC solicitor is effective. Maybe the CTC should ask a campaigning organisation for some advice!

nigel

Postby nigel » 11 Oct 2004, 1:31pm

This morning a flash, soft-top sports car driven by a well-dressed woman brushed by me -a matter of inches away from me when there was ample room for her to pass me safely. At the next set of lights, I (-VERY POLITELY) asked if she could possibly leave a little more room when passing cyclists as she had just very nearly hit me. I got the finger for my trouble.
So many car doors to kick dents in; so little time...

Tony

Postby Tony » 14 Oct 2004, 2:31pm

A motorcyclist madethe obligatory eye contact with the driver of a taxi waiting to pull out. It duly did so, making the biker swerve. At the lights, the biker got the explanation "I thought when you saw me coming, you'd swerve."
A few seconds later, the biker said "I thought when you saw my fist coming you'd duck"
Very tempting. Better is a drinks bottle full of a sugary liquid. It does wonders for the interior trim. Open tops, sunroofs.....

sharon

Postby sharon » 31 Oct 2004, 10:45pm

Hi just read these messages. A couple of years ago I was hit by a clod of earth thrown from the side door of a passing trannie van. The culprit was sat sideways in the open doorway, probably not a legal way to travel. I recognised the van as belonging to a group of men who had been working at pub garden a couple of miles back. I reported the incident but hadn't had chance to get the registration, as there was no witnesses the police weren't that interested despite their concern. As a lone female there wasn't much I could do when the same group were at the pub the following week, obviously their regular work patch on a monday pm.

rocko rider

Postby rocko rider » 20 Nov 2004, 2:59pm

I think we have all suffered this at some time or other,one incident that happened to me this year resulted in me getting soaked with water thrown out of a car window.however I saw the same car later during my ride and the yobby occupants had another pop at me so I gathered they were local,when I saw the car parked in a pub car park a few nights later a quick check inside confirmed the same yobs,I wondered what to do and deciced that the offenders windscreen needed cleaning,which I did with a piece of cloth(emery type)out of my car boot,I often wonder if they knew why this happened to them.