Obstructing the Cycle Lane - You Couldn't Make It Up

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
gaz

Obstructing the Cycle Lane - You Couldn't Make It Up

Post by gaz »

A picture speaks a thousand words.
HPIM0555.JPG
HPIM0556.JPG
HPIM0557.JPG

Suffice to say I've reported the problem but I'd really like to know why someone thought it was a good idea in the first place. :roll:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Si

Re: Obstructing the Cycle Lane - You Couldn't Make It Up

Post by Si »

Assuming that it is a council maintained road, one really does wonder, at a time when councils up and down the country are shedding jobs left right and centre, why are they getting rid of the ones that have at least a modicum of brain and positive initiative about them and leaving employed the ones that can produce work like this (or at least allow their sub contractors to do this)?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I cannot tell a lie. A little-known group of subversives, fundamentally opposed to cycling "farcilities" is at work. I cannot say too much at this stage, but this is typical of our ....er, sorry :oops: ... their work. Dressed in hi-viz togs to deceive the crew of the very occasional passing police patrol car, they are committed to sabotaging all this nonsense. (Motto = A pedal cycle is a vehicle - Ellis -v- Nott Bower (1895))

:wink:
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Amazing. Perhaps they were just keeping motorists out of the mandatory cycling lane?

You might offer it to http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/w ... /index.htm
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

snibgo wrote:Amazing. Perhaps they were just keeping motorists out of the mandatory cycling lane?

You might offer it to http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/w ... /index.htm

^ ^
Definately one for them :lol:

Might even get into the next "Crap Cycle Lanes" book, too.
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

snibgo wrote:Amazing. Perhaps they were just keeping motorists out of the mandatory cycling lane

All that effort to stop parking.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

NB Look a little further along to the obstruction of the footway. That puts the obstruction to the farcility in some sort of ptoportion.
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

thirdcrank wrote:NB Look a little further along to the obstruction of the footway. That puts the obstruction to the farcility in some sort of ptoportion.

Yes - mother nature having got there before.

It does make me wonder what the council were doing when those trees were still just saplings. Perhaps it was once just a verge and the tarmac came afterwards ?
Or perhaps the pavement was eaten up when the road was widened ?
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

There's a load of roadwork warning signs along the cycle lane I sometimes use. There's no grass verge just a cycle lane and pedestrian lane.

I can only assume that they feel it is safer for a cyclist to move into a pedestrian lane rather than the reverse.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

If you wanted to make a few thousand from the local authority for a non fatal road accident then this is your chance as this installation is clearly very dangerous.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I keep asking myself why? Initially I thought it was because someone had complained about the trees in the second photo obstructing the footpath(which could be a possibility) but the solution to that problem only causes another :? .
Is it the first traffic guidence of the start of some roadworks that will there'll be more of :?
Other than that I'm stumped :|
Last edited by reohn2 on 25 Nov 2011, 9:03am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

reohn2 wrote:I keep asking myself why? Initially I thought it was because someone had complained about the trees in the second obstructing the footpath(which could be a possibility) but the solution to that problem only causes another .Is it the first traffic guidence of the start of some roadworks that will there'll be more of Other than that I'm stumped

I have been wondering about the type of tree and if they could have a preservation order on them.
I wonder if it is for some sort of footpath work because the path needs to go around them.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think it should remind us that in phase 2 of the Notional Cycling Strategy, when things had gone beyond the initial official spin and mis-placed euphoria on the part of cyclists, highway authorities were under pressure to do something with visible results. (I have a vague recollection that they may have had to report all this to get part of the £££) The result was that many miles of cycle lanes were painted, usually along straight roads where there were no problem features for cyclists. As there is no requirement to create any sort of traffic order, these lanes were installed pretty much willy-nilly. In short, largely pointless tokenism.

Since then, the NCS has been shelved and we are in status quo territory. Many of these lanes have deteriorated in the decade or so since they were installed, with the paint now often barely visible. A statutory undertaker would reinstate any road markings disturbed by roadworks but that's it. I suspect that these lanes are "owned" by a council cycling department, which may even now be defunct.

Result: Trees obstructing the footway? Create a diversion around them until something more permanent can be sorted out - this year, next year, sometime .... The instruction goes out and the contractors implement it. Nothing in it for them to report back any problems. (This is the same "system" which produces road markings which continue into the depths of unreported and unrepaired road defects.)
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

Sorry, but how do you expect the road/pavement work to be carried out “CLOSE THE ROAD” some of you people think the roads are just for you, for Christ sake get a life .
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

yakdiver wrote:Sorry, but how do you expect the road/pavement work to be carried out “CLOSE THE ROAD” some of you people think the roads are just for you, for Christ sake get a life .

You're assuming that it's works....
Normally around here they use those portable traffic cones, not these bolted down bollards.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.