Twin Towns

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
horizon

Post by horizon »

It was always my hope that Looe would be twinned with Flushing.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Or how about Piddletown?

Or Little Peover?

You could go for a wee-kend break!
Mick F. Cornwall
Helen

Twin Towns

Post by Helen »

A couple of years ago I wrote an article for the Merseyside Ladies Cycling Association newsletter "A Tale of Three Twin Towns".

I live in West Lancashire and have been active for years with our French and German counterparts, mostly through athletics.

A few years ago my friend and I flew to Paris, caught the train to Angers (twinned with Wigan), rode along the Loire through Azay-le-Rideau (twinned with Croston), finishing NW of Paris in West Lancs' twin town Cergy Pontoise.

This coincided with the fantastic annual La Stephen Roche cycling event. So few women did the "cyclotouriste" ride we all had to go on stage to be presented with a massive trophy.

Tons of prizes, and Mr Roche himself was v congenial. Recommended - and don't forget your crash hat for these French events!
pete75

Re:

Post by pete75 »

Mick F wrote: 15 May 2007, 10:24am Are all the streets in Leeds given Scottish names?

(Thinks ...... may have something to do with hairy bums, and the world ending south of Sheffield .....)
You get get loads with similar names close together. The Mayvilles, the Harolds, the Brudenells etc. All the same first name followed by road or street, or mount or place or avenue etc. With Leeds street names you often get two where there are through terraces. I lived on Mayville Street and Back Mayville Street, one street at the front and the other at the back.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Re:

Post by pete75 »

horizon wrote: 18 May 2007, 12:46am It was always my hope that Looe would be twinned with Flushing.
And Bristol with Brest.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
horizon

Re: Twin Towns

Post by horizon »

I wrote that 14 years ago and I'm still waiting. :shock:
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I lived in school Lane in Leeds 6. Only school road name in the area iirc. It did have a school cutting the road short though.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Excellent tread resurrection! :D :D

How about another?
I cycled through Egypt and through Barcelona.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69197
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Tangled Metal wrote: 18 Nov 2021, 6:44pm I lived in school Lane in Leeds 6. Only school road name in the area iirc. It did have a school cutting the road short though.
School Lane off Monkbridge Rd? More like a wide footpath as I recall.
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

Carlisle and Bridgewater always seemed similar and worthy of twinning.
The pong!!!!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Do English municipalities still take twinning seriously? I thought Morley was twinned with Siegen in Germany but I see that that's been taken over by Leeds. I get the impression it's forgotten. The main one I remember is Harrogate being twinned with Montpellier. Harrogate used to have a French week, with bike racing. Has the Brexit sentiment ended all this or am I just missing it?
rjb

Post by rjb »

arnsider wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 8:02am Carlisle and Bridgewater always seemed similar and worthy of twinning.
The pong!!!!
Are you referring to Bridgwater in Somerset. It's nickname of smellytown is long gone since the closure of the cellophane factory. The factory was the town's biggest employer and manufactured cellophane from wood pulp, unlike modern processes which used oil. Will we go back to using wood pulp now it's unethical to use oil. :shock:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Cellophane
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

arnsider wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 8:02am Carlisle and Bridgewater always seemed similar and worthy of twinning.
The pong!!!!
Why Carlisle?
I’d of thought Penrith more of a contender.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

thirdcrank wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 8:19am Do English municipalities still take twinning seriously?
I'd guess cheap travel might have killed it. There's nowt much special about a school trip to France when you're going on family holidays all over the world.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Paulatic wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 8:41am
The pong!!!!
Why Carlisle?
I’d of thought Penrith more of a contender.
Biscuits.

"Where are England's pongiest places?":
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47088784

Jonathan

PS: From the age of many posters in these parts there should be a fair number who remember town gas plants...