Twin Towns

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Paulatic

Re: Twin Towns

Post by Paulatic »

Jdsk wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 12:32pm
Paulatic wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 8:41am
arnsider wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 8:02am Carlisle and Bridgewater always seemed similar and worthy of twinning.
The pong!!!!
Why Carlisle?
I’d of thought Penrith more of a contender.
Biscuits.

"Where are England's pongiest places?":
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47088784

Jonathan
Carrs biscuit smell is lovely, not a pong, to my nose. Always reminds me of nights spent looking after a grain drier.
Penrith has a pong which reaches the Mway as well as the whole town. https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/ ... 1559892966
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Karlsruhe is twinned (tripleted?) with both Nancy and Nottingham. I'm none too sure, though, that Nottingham would be any too pleased by the sign on the B10 that announces

KARLSRUHE
Partnerstadt mit
NANCY
NOTTINGHAM
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Karlsruhe is twinned (tripleted?) with both Nancy and Nottingham. I'm none too sure, though, that Nottingham would be any too pleased by the sign on the B10 that announces

KARLSRUHE
Partnerstadt mit
NANCY
NOTTINGHAM
As a denizen of Nottingham and remembering the town twinning with Karlsruhe when I was at school in the 70s, I was looking forward to visiting in 2020 on the next stage of my slow cycle down the Rhine... Still haven't got there... :-(
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

We live about 50k from the Rhine. I've been over there a few times and down a bit of the cycle path, but it's not a favourite ride - too damn flat. The ice cream in Germany is good, though, as is the coffee if the café is Italian.

A saying I heard years ago: Nations whose word for coffee has the stress on the first syllable don't know how to make it.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Audax67 wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 8:40amA saying I heard years ago: Nations whose word for coffee has the stress on the first syllable don't know how to make it.
That's neat. Haven't heard it before and it will keep me busy for a bit.

: - )

Jonathan

colin54

Post by colin54 »

Jonathan
From a previous post, it used to be Garton's Glucose ,Battersea.
https://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/cele ... 71548.html
I used to repair a crane in there, the smell is described as 'Rotting animal feet' in the article above, unbelievably smelly.
I worked on a machine at Beckton, East London's main sewage works, where the smell was positively fragrant in comparison.
You could have twinned Battersea with Letchworth GC, riding past Letchworth Bacon factory in the morning on the way to school was a hold your breath, head down and pedal furiously moment, but then the smell from the rubber company just up the road would catch you as you drew breath. Fun times.
Nu-Fogey
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

colin54 wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 9:15am
Jdsk wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 12:32pm "Where are England's pongiest places?":
From a previous post, it used to be Garton's Glucose ,Battersea.
I used to repair a crane in there, the smell is described as 'Rotting animal feet' in the article above, unbelievably smelly.
I worked on a machine at Beckton, East London's main sewage works, where the smell was positively fragrant in comparison.
You could have twinned Battersea with Letchworth GC, riding past Letchworth Bacon factory in the morning on the way to school was a hold your breath, head down and pedal furiously moment, but then the smell from the rubber company just up the road would catch you as you drew breath. Fun times.
I don't think that I ever had the privilege.

But not far from Marmite in Vauxhall...

Jonathan
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I remember riding through Tadcaster. I enjoyed the smell of hops.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
lbomaak2

Post by lbomaak2 »

colin54 wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 9:15am From a previous post, it used to be Garton's Glucose ,Battersea.
First mention of Garton's Glucose that I have heard for a long time. My stepmother's father was a foreman in that factory. Stayed working there through WW2 while the rest of the family was evacuated to Cornwall.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

lbomaak2 wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 5:32pm
First mention of Garton's Glucose that I have heard for a long time. My stepmother's father was a foreman in that factory. Stayed working there through WW2 while the rest of the family was evacuated to Cornwall.
Brilliant, small world, did he or your stepmother ever mention the pong ?
There was another glucose factory by the southern entrance to the Blackwall Tunnel I think, but it was at a slight distance so less offensive to the hooter.
Nu-Fogey
lbomaak2

Post by lbomaak2 »

colin54 wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 9:34pm
lbomaak2 wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 5:32pm
Brilliant, small world, did he or your stepmother ever mention the pong ?
No, I don't remember any mention of the pong. I suppose if you work there every day, you get used to it, to the extent of not noticing it.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

lbomaak2 wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 11:05am
No, I don't remember any mention of the pong. I suppose if you work there every day, you get used to it, to the extent of not noticing it.
Like the latest advertisers' scare? "You go nose blind."
The successor to what your best friend won't tell you.
In some places we have a pervasive stink during the sugar beet season.
Some vegetables, like onions and cabbages, have a noticeable effluvium as you ride by.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
lbomaak2

Post by lbomaak2 »

Jonathan

PS: From the age of many posters in these parts there should be a fair number who remember town gas plants...
I started exploring the countryside on my bicycle in my teens, living in Cranfield, Bedfordshire, in the 1970's. So quite close to the Vale of Marston, with its many brickworks; Stewartby was the biggest brickworks in the world. Cycling through there in the wrong weather conditions, I would have one hand on the handlebar and the other holding a handkerchief over my nose to protect myself from the sulphurous fumes.
sjs

Post by sjs »

Slowroad wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 8:45pm

KARLSRUHE
Partnerstadt mit
NANCY
NOTTINGHAM
As a denizen of Nottingham and remembering the town twinning with Karlsruhe when I was at school in the 70s, I was looking forward to visiting in 2020 on the next stage of my slow cycle down the Rhine... Still haven't got there... :-(
Just down the road, in Ilkeston, we were (still are I guess) twinned with Châlons-en-Champagne. Having just taken a look at it on Wikipedia, I can imagine the reaction of any of their citizens brave enough to take a trip to the East Midlands.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

sjs wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 1:03pm
Slowroad wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 8:45pm

KARLSRUHE
Partnerstadt mit
NANCY
NOTTINGHAM
Just down the road, in Ilkeston, we were (still are I guess) twinned with Châlons-en-Champagne. Having just taken a look at it on Wikipedia, I can imagine the reaction of any of their citizens brave enough to take a trip to the East Midlands.
:)
How did the twinning come about?
Sweep