Off duty copper gets knocked off his bike. Hit n run.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
pete75

Re: Off duty copper gets knocked off his bike. Hit n run.

Post by pete75 »

thelawnet wrote:
pete75 wrote:
boris wrote:A couple of years ago a rider went home alone from the club run and was left for dead unconscious with fractures by a silver hatchback just north of mansfield.No witnesses to the moment of collision. As I understand it no attempt at all was made to find the driver or car.
I was only a bit surprised by that until reading this thread and finding that it can be done if you want to.

And here SI is the evidence you wanted that Notts police have taken no action when a similar thing has happened to a non police cyclist. Most of us don't live in Notts so have given examples from our own areas though It'd be somewhat astonishing if forces across the country reacted to hit and run accidents in very different ways - they are enforcing the same laws.

The difference perhaps is that there are good grounds for supposing this case is closer to attempted murder than a simple hit and run.

A "simple hit and run" can have quite serious consequences for the person hit - serious injury, permanent disability or even death and should merit police action. If there is none it says to potential runners "drive off you hit a cyclist/pedestrian and there are no witnesses - there'll be no adverse consequences because the police will not investigate".
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Graham

Post by Graham »

We have a bit problem with moderation. Si appears to be doing pretty much all of it.

I'm not doing much these days because :-
- I'm renovating a house and looking after a decreasingly mobile elderly parent and other stuff.
- I'm not much interested in the Forum these days.

Where is the new blood for moderation ??
Each time we make an effort to find one, we end up with no volunteers. Not any. None !

In general, I'm astonished that Si patiently explains time and again the reasonable request to engage others on the forum with respect and diplomatic language.
( He is at least as busy as I - probably more so. )

If you have doubts about the quality of moderation on this forum then please understand the characteristics and constraints under which it operates.

If you feel you can contribute to the moderation please send a PM to either Si or I.
PS. The spam-busting works well, spread across five people, on a totally ad hoc basis.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

pete75 wrote:A "simple hit and run" can have quite serious consequences for the person hit - serious injury, permanent disability or even death and should merit police action. If there is none it says to potential runners "drive off you hit a cyclist/pedestrian and there are no witnesses - there'll be no adverse consequences because the police will not investigate".

Yes of course it is completely unacceptable for the police to fail to investigate hit and run, however that's still not to say that not stopping at the scene of an accident is as serious as deliberately attempting to kill.
boris

Post by boris »

I hope the moderator(s) will continue and not be put off by an odd, disgruntled punter.
I do not want to return to the eventual state of uk. rec. cycling, which became a magnet for trolls and lunatics Those are what need excluding.
Surely we can tolerate a bit of argument now and then.
Euskadi

Post by Euskadi »

There isn't any place for name calling and I think all the moderators do an excellent job. I also think the police try their best to do a very difficult and stressful job. They make mistakes, but they get picked up on them and by and large seem determined to continuously improve the quality of the services they provide to the public.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

boris wrote:Surely we can tolerate a bit of argument now and then.

Certainly. Attack the argument, never the person.