Snow report

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
chrisc

Re: Snow report

Post by chrisc »

Had another 3 or 4 cms of fluffy snow last night in NE Hants; this coming on pretty much frozen ground. Definitely not 2-wheels conditions. But it is very pretty in the bright sunlight just now.

Went out yesterday in local woods on bikes. Abandoned after 500m as a daft idea due to ice. Getting withdrawal symptoms now, as nearly a week since a ride of any length.

Anyone out in Newbury area able to say what conditions are like this morning ? I am supposed to be running there on Saturday morning ...
Tourer : 2010 Giant CRS City 4.0
Other : 1963 Denton retro (now back in the loft!)
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

I'm to the SW of the Newbury area near Andover and we had about 2 - 3 cm this morning, but one of the guys who commutes from Newbury said it was slightly thicker there. It's quite mild now, but set for a big freeze tonight.

Make sure you've got your spikes on!
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

About 5cm here, although the fullness of our bin meant I couldn't obtain a SWBM. After a week of just the front studs, I put the back studded wheel on this morning.

Blimey I'm worn out - forgotten how much extra work they are. Tea break required before I start any work, methinks :roll:
Si

Post by Si »

Despite the dire forecast earlier in the week we have nothing but a light frosting of snow. However, all the pavements are covered in ice and car windows are covered in the lumpy ice that is really hard to scrape off.

So far only one day of real snow this winter for us.
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

About an inch here. Main roads are clear. Side roads a bit slushy but ok. Footpaths crunchy.

I had absolutely no problems getting to work :|
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Damp and miserable here. I'm waiting for the rain to stop to go for a ride.
Yes, I know I could go out anyway - it's only rain! - but the forecast is better for this afternoon.

The past few days have been very cold - the frost staying all day - but yesterday afternoon, the temp went up to 5degC and stayed there. Then last night it started raining.

I was looking at weather forecasts earlier and found some stats about yesterday 9th Feb. Warmest was Kinlochewe in Wester Ross at 11degC. Coldest was Linton-on-Ouse in N Yorkshire at -10degC.

Quite a variation!
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

We had a dusting of snow yestreday evening, but it's bitterly cold so anywhere that's not been gritted is treacherous.
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

So much for the BBC. They promised us 2 deg C maximum today. It's currently 5 degrees and the snow is disappearing quicker than a small boy who's just rung your doorbell.
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
karlt

Post by karlt »

Guy951 wrote:So much for the BBC. They promised us 2 deg C maximum today. It's currently 5 degrees and the snow is disappearing quicker than a small boy who's just rung your doorbell.

May be a local variation; 11am in Bedford today was -0.7C. The weather at the moment is being driven by a conflict between areas of warm and cold air; predicting the interface is always going to be tricky.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ ... _temp.html