Snow report

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Vorpal

Re: Snow report

Post by Vorpal »

Essex: several inches on the ground when we woke up. Time to go sledging 8)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Regulator

Post by Regulator »

About 5" here in Cambridge. Time to change the tyres on the trike.... :D
jan19

Post by jan19 »

We've had a fair few inches here overnight. Just been out playing in the garden with my two young cats who've been out in it for the first time (last year they were confined to the house during the worst of the weather as they were new and not used to us enough to be let out).

The three of us had a great time - its like having young children again! I was throwing lumps of snow and they were chasing it. I think they decided snow is fun -once they'd got used to it.

Jan :D
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

Nothing in aberdeen this morning. However, coming back in the car from the Calcutta Cup yesterday the A90 passing Brechin was like an ice rink. The road looked clear but was a sheet of ice. I was following a artic at about 25mph and it ground to a halt going up a slight incline. The drive wheels were just spinning. Most of the traffic was following me averaging 33-40 but there were a load of coaches coming back from the rugby passing me on the ice at 60+. Just north of Dundee there was one on the side of the road that had bounced off the central barrier and looked like it had hit another one. Lots of police in attendance. It didn't seem to faze the others though. They were all belting along despite the ice.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

Bright sunshine, 1C and not a sign of snow in my bit of Northumberland. Off for a spin.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Winter Wonderland in these parts this morning. Off sledging.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
niggle

Post by niggle »

Snow report from West Cornwall: None, not seen a flake all winter! It did rain a bit yesterday...

Only had three days of frost, one in Novemberish and two in the week just gone. Had a fair bit of rain and loads of strong winds, so it has all gone back to normal for us after the two previous winters which were, as I thought, just an anomaly.

Normal is one snow fall every two or three winters, which causes chaos and cripples the county, up until about elevenses, by which time it has all melted apart from a football size snowman in next doors garden which might last until teatime.

Nice mild weather out today so went trail riding on the Subway 8, bit sticky in places but made a change from road riding and nothing the mudguards and a pair of overshoes could not cope with. Hosed the bike down and gave it a bit of a wash, for the first time ever! (Maybe not a good idea as it has lost some of its anti-theft camouflage :?)

EDIT: Just to add it has been about 8-9°C today according to the local weather station record.
gaz

Post by gaz »

HPIM0657.JPG
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

9decC this afternoon.
Mild and dampish, though less bright this afternoon.

Strange to think that folk have snow and ice further away. You keep it there, we don't want it.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I suspect that the only thing this demonstrates is the complete dependence of our society on the motor vehicle. There has been widespread snow but it's hardly deep. Around here, at least, it wouldn't have been worth sending out snow ploughs.

All that's happened is that many people's lives have come to depend on their being able to drive some pretty big distances to work. Enough people are terrified of driving in snow to cause delays, even on well-gritted roads. (At the same time, this can bring out the idiot in some of the others.)

I think this is proved by the antics of BBC weather people. eg "Conditions are going to be horRENdous ..... for the morning commute." Nothing else matters.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

.............(At the same time, this can bring out the idiot in some of the others.)...........

Going off some of the driving antics I wittnessed(by no means a small minority)last night whilst driving on frozen sheet ice roads I'll not be surprised by anything anymore.
The number of cars tailgating had to be seen to be believed :? along with the Goonatic (with his front foglights on,even though it wasn't in the least bit foggy) who was roughly 10feet from my bumper on rutted iced up roads,three times I had to show him my brake lights before the penny dropped,the clown :twisted:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Big T

Post by Big T »

Main roads clear here, but side roads still pretty bad. Commute would have been pretty bad on the bike, as I'd have had to stick to main roads and ride right out in the carraigeway on some roads. Took long enough in the car - 40 minutes to do 6 miles, due to the traffic being bad.

There seems to be a slight thaw going on at the moment. I'm hopeful of getting out on the bike later in the week.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

We walked this morning. Most of the younger siblings that usually go to & from school in buggies went in sledges today. 8)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Pleasant and mild here. 10degC

Warm hazy sunshine at lunchtime, so I ate my sarnies in the back garden listening to You and Yours R4.
Mick F. Cornwall
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

On Sunday tested the mods to my Dawes Kingpin with a run from Connel to Bonawe and back. Total only 18 miles but a lovely clear run on dampish roads with virtually no wind. Very nice little bike and a pleasure to ride.No snow anywhere to be seen here.