I was shot at in Hull this evening

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Greybeard

I was shot at in Hull this evening

Post by Greybeard »

For anyone who uses Sutton Road in Hull near to the Ennerdale Sports Centre/River Hull Bridge, be aware that there are a number of halfwits taking pot shots with an air gun at cyclists.
About 4.15pm on my way home I heard 5 or 6 shots in rapid succession (too quick to have been from one weapon). Fortunately they all missed and I heard them pass through the undergrowth close to my left.
I did report it and possibly thanks to my connections had an Armed Response Vehicle in the area well within 5 minutes - though having said that I do know that Humberside Police take reports of potential firearms incidents very seriously. Thanks for your quick response chaps :)
One other cyclist I spoke to did have his pannier hit shortly after I passed through but didn't realise at the time what it was.
Disappointingly these prime examples of Hull's verminous underclass had melted away back into the slime from which they emerged. Should I offer a reward for the removal of the offender's fingers? Tempting ain't it? :twisted:
I don't normally wear specs when riding though I am now minded too.

Steve - be careful out there :wink:
thirdcrank

Re: I was shot at in Hull this evening

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm glad to hear you are OK.

(Draws up a comfy chair, rubs hand with glee, waits for the responses - armed or otherwise. )
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

hmmm yorkshire again, several of us were shot at last year during a time trial last year except the armed response unit did not come out.... wrong connections I guess. No one was caught but we all had signigicant marks from where the pellets hit!
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Barn door? :roll:
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Thanks, Graham :roll: Nothing if not predictable :wink:

Steve
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

Greybeard wrote:For anyone who uses Sutton Road in Hull near to the Ennerdale Sports Centre/River Hull Bridge, be aware that there are a number of halfwits taking pot shots with an air gun at cyclists.
About 4.15pm on my way home I heard 5 or 6 shots in rapid succession (too quick to have been from one weapon). Fortunately they all missed and I heard them pass through the undergrowth close to my left.
I did report it and possibly thanks to my connections had an Armed Response Vehicle in the area well within 5 minutes - though having said that I do know that Humberside Police take reports of potential firearms incidents very seriously. Thanks for your quick response chaps :)
One other cyclist I spoke to did have his pannier hit shortly after I passed through but didn't realise at the time what it was.
Disappointingly these prime examples of Hull's verminous underclass had melted away back into the slime from which they emerged. Should I offer a reward for the removal of the offender's fingers? Tempting ain't it? :twisted:
I don't normally wear specs when riding though I am now minded too.

Steve - be careful out there :wink:

Bloody Hell I ride their most days, was going to go that way tonight at 9pm, thanks for the heads up. Will keep clear for a while.

Really strange it happened, I've ridden their hundreds of times and nothing has ever happened.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Me too, Steve. I always use that route to/from work and have done for years without incident. Hopefully it's a one-off, eh?
Gimme a wave if you see me - a big (angry) 6-footer with a huge Victorian beard :wink:

Steve
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Around here this sort of things does sometimes happen and the Armed Response is not unusual.
The youth likley to have done this are probably stupid enough to have filmed it and put it yoUtube.
If form is anything to go on they will leave it for a while, especially as there was more than one involved. I bet they have trouble keeping their stupid big mouths shut.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

Greybeard wrote:Me too, Steve. I always use that route to/from work and have done for years without incident. Hopefully it's a one-off, eh?
Gimme a wave if you see me - a big (angry) 6-footer with a huge Victorian beard :wink:

Steve

Will Do :lol: I'm the guy with mirrors on both brakes :D
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

GrahamNR17 wrote:Barn door? :roll:

pmsl :lol:

on a more serious note, i hope the police catch them before they harm you or anyone else.
and that the magistrates punsih them properly, not just a few hours drinking tea and smoking with a paintbrush in hand :roll:
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

Why do they even sell air rifles? They mostly get used for mischief and shooting cats.

Some do use them to shoot rats for pest control, but there are other ways to kill them.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

I don't normally go along that way when visiting the folks though it's on the way to my brothers house from Sutton.
Been a Hessle rd/Bransholme lad I got used to some fairly low levels of human behaviour, however fortunately never had pot shots taken at me (though used a black widow along the river bank & sewage farm a few times to kill rats when I was a teen)

I guess the problem with many big cities is that you'll always come across knuckle scrapers and Hull is no different. That it has high levels of unemployment, low education levels & following on from that high crime rates it shouldn't surprise me that that happened. Last time I was down a chap who'd had a fit was robbed of his wallet whilst lying on the floor needing help. There's some scummy people in this world :twisted:

Air rifles tend to get passed down through generations, one doesn't need to go out of your way to 'buy' one from a shop especially when they are easy enough to accquire even from car boot sales.

Glad you're ok though GB
Alex L

Post by Alex L »

This is the real reason for ninja cyclists then? To avoid being shot at. Off with the hi-viz and lights. Cycling in all black from now on ;)

On a more serious note, glad you didn't get hit. Hope they get caught.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Edwards wrote:Around here this sort of things does sometimes happen and the Armed Response is not unusual.
The youth likley to have done this are probably stupid enough to have filmed it and put it yoUtube.
If form is anything to go on they will leave it for a while, especially as there was more than one involved. I bet they have trouble keeping their stupid big mouths shut.

Ah, you've been through Kingstanding.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Glad you're OK. The way things are going, it might be a Kalashnikov next time.
Have we got time for another cuppa?