A realistic sentence

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Grandad

A realistic sentence

Post by Grandad »

Malaconotus

Re: A realistic sentence

Post by Malaconotus »

Grandad wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-16225697

Watch out for an appeal?

Two previous convictions for drink-driving, which account for the sentence being more realistic, so I would hope the sentence would be upheld on appeal.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Ah, that was not in the BBC report.
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

Cue my drinking licence idea. If caught drink driving you have to either surrender your driving licence or drinking licence.

Without a drinking licence you can't buy booze. All pubs would need to see it before selling booze to someone. It might kill off the round though.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

gilesjuk wrote:Cue my drinking licence idea. If caught drink driving you have to either surrender your driving licence or drinking licence.

seriously? :?

why shouldn't one drink whilst having no intention of driving, or one drive whilst having no intention of drinking?
i can do both in a week - do i need to re-apply between fri afternoon and the following tuesday?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There are already regulations in place intended to ensure that anybody who might present an extra drink drikve risk, does not get their licence back without additional checks eg repeat offenders, offenders with a high blood/ alcohol reading and those who refuse to provide a specimen. I posted a link to a newspaper report suggesting that these procedures had not been followed, resulting in thousands of drivers wrongly getting their licences back. A small number of tghese had gone on to be involved in a drink-related fatal collision. I was surprised it seemed to attract little interest.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58409
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

thirdcrank wrote:There are already regulations in place intended to ensure that anybody who might present an extra drink drikve risk, does not get their licence back without additional checks eg repeat offenders, offenders with a high blood/ alcohol reading and those who refuse to provide a specimen. I posted a link to a newspaper report suggesting that these procedures had not been followed, resulting in thousands of drivers wrongly getting their licences back. A small number of tghese had gone on to be involved in a drink-related fatal collision. I was surprised it seemed to attract little interest.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58409

A very valid and sadly true point

There is very little in the way of bad driving and motoring offences that is not already covered by adequate and sensible legislation, accompanied by realistic and meaningful sentences.

If only we could get the Police, or more commonly the courts to use them
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I'll repeat my reply to TC's thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58409 :-

Its no surprise as much as its a disgrace.
Of course anyone who's health is in question should have a full medical exam
Anyone who been off the road for 12months should at least be accessed for his/her driving ability by a test examiner,over 12 months it should be a full retest.
All costs born by the potential driver.

PS, I'm dreaming again aren't I ?

Society can't stop people getting legless but it can stop them driving(legally) if they break the law and it can make it so they have to prove they are capable of driving again,by resitting their test.

If this woman has previous D&D convictions IMHO she should never drive again,how many chances does society give someone before it says enough is enough,you're not capable of being trusted to drive safely.
Eight years is about right for the taking of a life in such aweful circumstances IMO.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

In the OP, I notice the pub was only 2 miles from the driver's home, a distance most people could cycle or even walk. It was a Friday evening, so she perhaps could have collected her car the next morning.

More details about the drunken killer's actions, including trying to escape by taking a passer-by's car: http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liv ... 9969561/2/

Very sad. RIP.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Going back to the earliest days of the breathalyser, there has been a feeling in some quarters that the police should not routinely test drivers leaving pub car parks as though it's a bit unsporting, like punching below the belt, fishing for salmon with dynamite, or hunting foxes with pump-action shotguns. I've never really gone along with that, because the primary object of an efficient police is the prevention of crime.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

I have a 'Drinking licence'.

Its also called my 'Birth certificate'. The date on it is more than eighteen years ago.

While in California, I waited and waited in a queue of cars to be confronted with a 'sobriety check'. An unannounced check for drink-drivers. As I am not a drinker when I drive, I had a short chat with the police lady and then went on my way. There was a large Paddy Wagon being filled with motorists and a couple of car transporters being loaded in a side road.

Why doesn't that happen in the UK?
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

thirdcrank wrote:the police should not routinely test drivers leaving pub car parks as though it's a bit unsporting

i don't go along with that either. drink driving isn't a sport
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

reohn2 wrote:Society can't stop people getting legless

it would be undesirable to try, even if it was possible. for millions of people tonight, a few glasses of wine or beer is a perfectly social way to relax and wash down one's dinner, or play darts, or do disco dancing. it also helps top up the tax - pot. if it wasn't for us, you'd have to stump up more, or have less services.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

hubgearfreak wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Society can't stop people getting legless

it would be undesirable to try, even if it was possible. for millions of people tonight, a few glasses of wine or beer is a perfectly social way to relax and wash down one's dinner, or play darts, or do disco dancing. it also helps top up the tax - pot. if it wasn't for us, you'd have to stump up more, or have less services.

What has that got to do with drinking and driving?

Thanks once again Hubbers for quoting me out of context
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
karlt

Post by karlt »

thirdcrank wrote:Going back to the earliest days of the breathalyser, there has been a feeling in some quarters that the police should not routinely test drivers leaving pub car parks as though it's a bit unsporting, like punching below the belt, fishing for salmon with dynamite, or hunting foxes with pump-action shotguns. I've never really gone along with that, because the primary object of an efficient police is the prevention of crime.

Ditto hidden speed cameras. Main objection to them boils down to " 't i'n't fair if I don't know you're checking."