Advice on End to End

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
speedy

Advice on End to End

Post by speedy »

I am planning to do the End to End in may 2006.Could anyone give me any advice on the best way to get from North Wales to Lands End, and then back home from John O Groats.I intened to take everything with me and camp on route.Any advice on anything to do with the trip would be very apreciated
Tim S

Re:Advice on End to End

Post by Tim S »

Although I am yet to do LEJOG (I have prepared for it several times then not been able to go ahead) I had planned to return from North Scotland by one way car rental. From Somerset I could get my wife to take me to Lands End. The only practical way I could see to get from John O'Groats back to Somerset was one way car rental. The only problem was Inverness appears to be to most Northerly car rental depot. Thats only 100 miles from JOG, but the train for that part seems to be more bike friendly than other train companies. Generally the large chains such as Budget and Hertz etc do one way rental. It would be nice to be able to use the train, but with the bike in the back of a hire car you know its safe there.

Not particularly a very green solution though!
mike6

Post by mike6 »

Take the train from Wick or Thurso to Inverness, change there for train to Crewe.
Bikes must be booked in advance, do not just turn up and hope to get on the first train as it may have a full quota of bikes already.
jean

Post by jean »

Three years ago, I did Dover-John O'Groats and when I got to Wick to book my return trip I was told that all the trains were booked a long time ahead but they suggested me to put the bike on a post-van and take the train back to Inverness. I did that and my bike was waiting for me in Inverness.