Disappointing Weather

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Fatou

Disappointing Weather

Post by Fatou »

I enjoy the challenge of bad weather, gives me the chance to man up.

During recent weeks (months) it just seems to be, well, pleasant. Bit of variation is necessary, but no wind please.
As good as Lance.
eileithyia

Re: Disappointing Weather

Post by eileithyia »

3 degrees, heavy rain storm for 11 miles before arriving at work wet thru and cold..... would that be man enough? :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

No, -12, blowing a gale (headwind of course, but occasionally pouncing round the side of a building or other obstruction), snowing hard :p
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
drossall

Post by drossall »

After last year, I built up a spare work bike to take winter tyres, which I also bought.

I was looking forward to riding past cars as they failed to get up the modest inclines we have round here.

Seriously disappointed :x :wink:
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

drossall wrote:After last year, I built up a spare work bike to take winter tyres, which I also bought.

I was looking forward to riding past cars as they failed to get up the modest inclines we have round here.

Seriously disappointed :x :wink:

++1
GavinC

Post by GavinC »

+2 :(
hondated

Post by hondated »

First year I have ever done it but I brought some studded tyres for the mountainbike and they are lanquishing in the garage and even though I agree about there being something with battling the elements I do not care if the weather is never bad enough again for me to fit them.
rjb

Post by rjb »

I spent 10+ years cycling to and from work - 7 miles each way at either mornings, evenings or nights as i was a 24/7 shift worker. During this period i never ever took the car or had a lift. I have seen and experienced it all, at times i admit it was suicidal - hurricanes, ice, snow, thunderstorms, hail, torrential downpours, heatwaves, and the worst was freezing fog so thick that i had to ride in the midddle of the road as the only thing visible was the white line. :roll:

Thank god i am now retired and have become a fair weather cyclist only :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I too, have ridden down the middle of the road using the white line as a guide and once I turned off into a lane kept the shadowy form of the hedge at equal distance on either side... thankfully the only car I met was also driving extremely carefully, with drivers window down and watching the white line.
Freezing fog is great I arrived at work with 'hollywood' eyelashes, even if they were silvery grey :D

Anyway never fear those of you wishing to use your winter gear, it is arriving this week!
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Fatou wrote:I enjoy the challenge of bad weather, gives me the chance to man up.

During recent weeks (months) it just seems to be, well, pleasant. Bit of variation is necessary, but no wind please.

Are you that guy I saw yesterday wearing shorts and a short sleeve race vest?
MrCharly

Post by MrCharly »

eileithyia wrote:I too, have ridden down the middle of the road using the white line as a guide and once I turned off into a lane kept the shadowy form of the hedge at equal distance on either side... thankfully the only car I met was also driving extremely carefully, with drivers window down and watching the white line.
Freezing fog is great I arrived at work with 'hollywood' eyelashes, even if they were silvery grey :D

Anyway never fear those of you wishing to use your winter gear, it is arriving this week!

That's because I took the studded tyres off my touring bike on Wed and fitted slicks.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Well please put them back on... :D

Actually this reminds of 1986, a brilliant bright cold weekend for the final weekend (we were at Ironbridge YH) then all Feb we had NE winds and bright cold days with the temps barely going above freezing, I could set off 5 mins later on my work commute but it took longer to get home, some snow as I remember riding the local 100 in 8 down into the Cotswolds and riding between banked snow at the side of the roads. It was a beautiful month but chilly.
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

eileithyia wrote:I too, have ridden down the middle of the road using the white line as a guide and once I turned off into a lane kept the shadowy form of the hedge at equal distance on either side... thankfully the only car I met was also driving extremely carefully, with drivers window down and watching the white line.

Many years ago I heard of two drivers meeting like that, on a country lane.
They did manage to keep the cars from colliding - at least with each other.
Neither car stayed on the road very long after the drivers had met though, and the poor sod who found them nearly had heart failure. The police reckoned that each car had been doing about 25mph.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Glad I'm retired :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Phil_Lee wrote:

Many years ago I heard of two drivers meeting like that, on a country lane.
They did manage to keep the cars from colliding - at least with each other.
Neither car stayed on the road very long after the drivers had met though, and the poor sod who found them nearly had heart failure. The police reckoned that each car had been doing about 25mph.

I doubt they were doing 25mph, though it was quite a long time ago, and there was nothing else on the road (except me) anyway. :D