Cycling 'incident' Statistics

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
drossall

Re: Cycling 'incident' Statistics

Post by drossall »

thelawnet wrote:Another car passed me nice and wide and fast and as a result came closer to an oncoming vehicle than was really reasonable.

I've remarked before that this is a change in behaviour that I have noticed over time. Those motorists who aren't willing to give the proper space still overtake in the face of oncoming traffic; quite often, they'll do it even though the oncoming vehicle is the only one in sight (i.e. they'll do the exact opposite of choosing the best moment, and choose the only bad one).

The difference, however, is that they are now likely to go wider, and run the opposing vehicle off the road, instead of doing that to the cyclist.

I still think we are talking about a minority, however.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

meic wrote:Entering the world of cycling from a motorcyclist's point of view, the big difference was that motorists who were aware of your presence did not let it alter their actions.
On the motorcycle they do act as if you are there, when they see you.
Almost as if motorcyclists have a right to be on the road and a space around them that you should not encroach on.

If a car driver is uncourteous to a motorcyclist, the motorcyclist has a good chance of following the car at the same speed.
Through the rear-view mirror, the car driver cannot read the M/C plate No. as opposed to a good view by the M/Cist of the car's plate No.
The M/Cist might have a few hefty friends.

Which brings to mind the 'city traffic' car/bicycle relationship. In slow moving traffic, I have ( but not always ) the opportunity to catch a car that has done a bad deed.
Most drivers appreciate this and give me a wide berth.
The 0.1% knumpties however, drive alongside me at 15 mph thinking "He's a cyclist. I'll be well away in a minute." Not so fast laddo, this cyclist will be right there next to you at the next TLs. And he'll clock your face. ( they more than likely look out of their window when I do pull up alongside their left :lol: )
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Stradageek wrote:Anyone ever counted the number of 'no problem' motorists who pass you every day against the number of 'not so nice' encounters? I intend to try tomorrow. My guess would be that less than 1% of motorists actually fall into the dangerous/inconsiderate/foolish categories - replies awaited with interest

Not a bad guess. I interacted with 107 vehicles on my morning commute (100 overtook me), minimum passing distance 1.5m (average >2m) incidents zero, unless you count the van drivers mate who yelled at me to "get on the cycle path" (there wasn't one!). Could this be the advantage of recumbents, I was riding a Kettwiesel this morning?
silverscoob

Post by silverscoob »

Eye contact is very important.
But after doing about 200+ mile per week for the last year (100 per week for previous 5 years!). Reckon there are five types of drivers out there:-

1. The vast majority being the decent (even considerate at times).

2. Incompetent, fair number of these. Usually, raise a hand in the SMISDY sort of way, if they even see you.

3. Distracted ones, can fall into either of the two groups above, similarity, at least most of these apologise, (not all mind you) when pointed out.

4. Arrogant/Macho ones. These are a different type all together. The ones who's machismo means they do not like being pushed about and force their way into any Qs etc. This is due to them feeling superior to other road users. They seem to be particularly threatened by cyclists, as if ridden properly and assertively they can't quite grasp why this cyclist is not quivering with fear by their approach and jumping into the nearest hedge! So they purposely, either drive too close, beep horns, cut up or are generally abusive or aggressive. Even when in they are in the wrong, you get an abusive gesture or comment. I've had a fair few of these and suppose being 6'3" have challenged and informed them of the error of their ways, probably to little avail.

5. Any others I missed out of the above....

Just my take on it. Be careful, ride assertively and keep your wits about you...
horizon

Post by horizon »

They seem to be particularly threatened by cyclists,

:D :D
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Stradageek wrote:Anyone ever counted the number of 'no problem' motorists who pass you every day against the number of 'not so nice' encounters? I intend to try tomorrow. My guess would be that less than 1% of motorists actually fall into the dangerous/inconsiderate/foolish categories - replies awaited with interest

I'd find it hard to keep a strict record so as to define a percentage rate but on average its about 2 close encounters per ride(rides vary between 30 and 90miles) and sometimes can be as many as 5 to 7.
These incidents more than likely are close overtakes,I rarely have people turn out in front of me or turn across or left hook me dangerously.
I can't differentiate from good and bad driving technique in the same way Horizon seems to be highlighting,as long as motor vehicles give me space I'm happy,as space buys time.
I use a rear view mirror,and use it,constantly,more than when driving the car,as a result to look after myself I block anything that I regard as a potentially dangerous o/take by moving to primary position ie;if theres a stream of oncoming traffic and its not safe(by my definition) for a car to o/take its blocked,I will then thank the driver with a wave when s/he does evetually o/take.On the whole this is taken in good heart and accepted.
The Goons/bullies are few in number but can be very aggresive and totally unreasonable ie; overtaking with oncoming traffic, even when they can see a line of stationary traffic up ahead, these people are dangerous intentionally and I believe don't realise the consequences of their actions should things go wrong,they are usually younger drivers of either gender.
Drivers are a lot more aggresive in rushhour and I try not to ride at these times.
What I always find amazing is that close encounters happen more often on certain stretches of road and not nessecarily A roads or at rushour on those roads either,puzzling :?
On the whole drivers are quite good but whilst I can't catagorise bad drivers definitively by vehicle certain vehicles tend "reappear" over again,such as Skip trucks,Tripper trucks(eight wheelers),German prestige cars and Jaguars,and of course 4x4's,thats not to say I don't get close o/takes from small h/backs,I do,but not proportionally for the nimber of them on the roads,whereas with Jags its disproportional.
One things for sure,I don't trust anyone,in my eyes every other roaduser is a nutter and as such cannot be trusted under any circustances.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
aprildavy

Post by aprildavy »

Less than 1% give me a problem. Probably only one or two per 100 miles to be honest.
Claireysmurf

Post by Claireysmurf »

I did about 10 miles from Penarth to Cardiff and back today- main road and inner city stuff.
Took primary on one section where I have been cut up badly by left turners on a small roundabout and as a result some young bloke in an old banger took delight in intimidating me (he was grinning ear to ear as I pulled over) and then two cars came terrifyingly close when i was stopped in the right hand lane waiting for the right turn filter to come on and a few cars wanted to treat that lane (clearly marked as a right turn lane only) to overtake. The car count must have been very high today

Yesterday was less dangerous for the same journey, the only highlight being the 4x4 that went the wrong side of a traffic bollard to avoid having to slow down for me!
horizon

Post by horizon »

aprildavy wrote:Less than 1% give me a problem. Probably only one or two per 100 miles to be honest.

It may depend on how you define a problem. On the short ride of about 4 miles from home to the next village I would say about 70% of drivers "give me a problem", in fact any driver that wants to overtake when there is oncoming traffic, there is a double white line or there is a bend coming up or all three. In other words, when overtaking is impeded, which again is most of the way between the two places. (For the remaining 30%, their overtaking is not impeded but can still be too close and too fast - I know, this brings us close to 100%!)

Most drivers seem to expect to pass immediately, regardless of these three conditions: only holding the primary position prevents their attempting to do so. Of course, I don't know for certain how many of the drivers that are held back by my road position would have held back anyway but my experience of doing the route possibly hundreds of times is that it is very few. Of course, I could regard them as not having given me a problem (which they haven't in a way, as they have had to hold back) but they have given me the problem of having to alter their intended action against their wishes. Their reaction to this is usually unknown or benign but that isn't quite the same thing as not giving me a problem.

Of the drivers that simply pass in an inconsiderate way (too fast and too close to be anything other than that they don't care if you make a mistake and kill yourself), I could ignore them and regard them as not having given me a problem. That would be a Buddhist approach but remember that it would be a case of my reaction not having given me a problem, not that their passing was exemplary.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

horizon wrote:............. That would be a Buddhist approach but remember that it would be a case of my reaction not having given me a problem, not that their passing was exemplary.

Buddhist approach? :?
Taking that to its logical conclusion Buddhists wouldn't ride bikes incase they caused an "accident" by not keeping out of the way of motorvehicles,obviously thats incorrect thinking but you get my meaning.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

reohn2 wrote:
horizon wrote:............. That would be a Buddhist approach but remember that it would be a case of my reaction not having given me a problem, not that their passing was exemplary.

Buddhist approach? :?
Taking that to its logical conclusion Buddhists wouldn't ride bikes incase they caused an "accident" by not keeping out of the way of motorvehicles,obviously thats incorrect thinking but you get my meaning.

Bardotist approach.

Wear a streaming blonde wig under your hat and motorists will slow down to pass 100% :D
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

On the disproportionate over representation of prestige cars I had an interesting chat with a horse rider. I remarked that I'd given up cycling in rural areas in Northants on any Friday evening because of the 'Executive racing home to village des-res for the weekend' problem. The Horse rider looked surprised at my comment and simply said "Didn't you know that?" Horse riders apprently NEVER take to the Northamptonshire lanes on any Friday evening (however sunny and inviting) for this very reason.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Stradageek wrote:On the disproportionate over representation of prestige cars I had an interesting chat with a horse rider. I remarked that I'd given up cycling in rural areas in Northants on any Friday evening because of the 'Executive racing home to village des-res for the weekend' problem. The Horse rider looked surprised at my comment and simply said "Didn't you know that?" Horse riders apprently NEVER take to the Northamptonshire lanes on any Friday evening (however sunny and inviting) for this very reason.

Meh.

I think the problem is the Executive, not the fact that they are racing to the des-res (and therefore perhaps in a hurry, having miles to cover).

I was overtaken by a car this morning right into the face of oncoming traffic, he then swerved hard left turning the corner, I was going the same way, then to my surprise he swung in hard again - into his (rather nice) drive way, two doors up the road.