Audax Advice

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
lantern rouge

Audax Advice

Post by lantern rouge »

As I get older, fatter and less fit, the thought crossed my mind that the bike gathering dust in the shed might just be useful in getting me off the couch. I've been looking for a challenge to get me going and was wondering if Audax is the soltuion. Couple of questions, apart from am I mad, will I be able to do short audaxs i.e 100km or even 50K to start with on a lightweight hybrid ? I've a 4yr old Ridgeback Bullit and secondly are there many short rides reasonably close to West London
TJ

Re:Audax Advice

Post by TJ »

See www.audax.net
You can use whatever machine you feel comfy on. If you haven't cycled for a while, I'd suggest "little and often" to begin with.
All audax type events require a degree of fitness, but there are events as short as 50kms, which are ideal for a season opener or a newcomer.
Your local CTC group would be an ideal way to get used to cycling again. Good luck.
lantern rouge

Re:Audax Advice

Post by lantern rouge »

thks TJ - I haven't done much cycling over the last three years, but decided a couple of weeks ago I really needed to get out again. I'm setting myself a taget of two short runs and and a longer run at the weekend for the next couple of months then maybe I'll give a couple of short audax's a go. If I don't kill myself I'll try the 100km (which I guess is still defined as very short by audax standards !)